Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
lower abdominal, right side pain

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

lower abdominal, right side pain

I was just diagnosed with diverticulitis, however, in reviewing your web page, all information refers to lower LEFT abdominal pain, where as what I am experiencing is lower RIGHT, almost near the groin area, pain.  I have already had my appendix removed, some 20 years ago, am not pregnent, and have been taking oral Cipro for two days now.  This is not feeling any better.  My physician wants to see my after the 10 day antibiotic regimen is complete, possibly to do an ultrasound.  Does this follow with the fact that this RIGHT SIDED pain, or do I need another opinion? Thanks for any input.
Diverticula, outpouchings of the wall of the colon, can occur anywhere in the colon.  Thge classical teaching is that right sided diverticula bleed and that left sided diverticula cause diverticulitis (pain that results from inflammation of the diverticula).  However, right sided diverrticula can cause pain on occasion.  If you are concerned, then you should ask your doctor about the possibility of an ultrasound to assess the area where there is pain.  

Because it is less common for right sided diverticula to cause pain, it is sometimes necessary to check the colon (by colonoscopy) to exclude other possible causes for the pain.

This information is presented for educational purposes only.  Ask specific questions to your personal physician.

HFHSM.D.-rf
A related discussion, pain in right side? was started.