Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
lower back pain, rectal pain and bleeding.

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I am a 39 year old female, i have been having rectal bleeding for the last 6 months, i had a colonscopy done in 02-97 since i was having some divirticulitis symptoms ( i had that before) and everything came out fine. in october of 98 i started having rectal bleeding ( i had that before also and they said it was hemmorrhoids)anyway the bleeding continued and my colon surgeon did a procto sigmo. exam and concluded i had big internal hemmorrhoids. he gave me proctofoam which did not help. i went back to him on february with the same symptoms and he did a flexible sigmo. and he saw a lot of divirticulitis and the internal hemmorrhoids again, well since then on and off i still have the rectal bleeding. now i have a lower back pain right on the coccix ( i do not know how to spell it)area and when i get that pain i also feel pain in my rectum. can it be connected? i had called the doctor and he said it is my bone in my lower back that it can occur because of stress,  or arthritis? also he still maintains the bleeding is from the hemmorrhoids. if hemmorrhoids are not treated can they become cancer? i have noticed that if i eat spicy foods or dairy the bleeding starts continues for a long time. i have stopped all that and sometimes for no reason at all it starts. even if i pass gas it bleeds. and the blood is bright red. please give me your opinion on this. thanks.      

_
Dear Carmen,
Colonoscopyu as well as the various sigmoidoscopies have excluded colon cancer as a cause for your symptoms.  You need not worry about internal hemarrhoids evolving into cancer because this does not happen.  Sometimes small tumors can be hidden between large hemarrhoids but this possibility should have been excluded by the sigmoidoscopies.
Internal hemarrhoids are the veins that drain blood from the lower colon.  Everyone has thm but they are often not a cause for symptoms.  When hemarrhoids cause symptoms, patients will complain of bleeding and/or rectal pain.  If your doctor believes that your problem is related to hemarrhoids, then you should ask him about therapy e.g. hemarrhoidal banding.
It is probably just coincidence that you note bleeding with certain foods unless these foods are causing a change in bowel pattern.
This information is presented for educational purposes.  Ask specific questions to your personal physician.  If you wish a second opinion, we would be happy to see you at the Division of Gastroenterology of Henry Ford Health System in Detroit.  You can make an appoinment with Dr. Batra, one of our experts in the diagnosis and treatment of colon diseases, by calling our Physician referral Line at (800)653-6568.
HFHSM.D.-rf
*keywords: rectal bnleeding
0.2

A related discussion, Rectal bleeding/Stomach sensitive to touch was started.