Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
lower stomach pain w/rectal bleeding nausea fatigue ongoing

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

my husband has been having rectal bleeding light bright to heavyred/marron blood with lower stomach pain /burning below the navel with a firey feeling and nausea ,fatigue.This has been reacurrent for over year now.the pain seems to be consant to the pelvis/groin area. he has been dianogsed with arthritis called a strange name
(spongdanolioses)not sure of the spelling.has been treated with
celebrex,and other antiflamitories. rectal bleeding is almost
always .very similar to menstrual bleeding and now complains of lower stomach pain firey feeling below the navel area. also states he has a sensation to urinate freqentally. he wont go to the dr. please help me with some type of reply. so that I can make him see a doctor. is this a serious condition , I am scared to death for him.through the last few years all blood test from the antiinflamitories have been normal. he has not taken any of the antiflamtory for some time now ,but nothing has changed but heavier bleeding and more frequent,now all the lower adomen pain
nausea all the time and fatigue. please help me!
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

This presentation is absolutely not normal.  There are many causes of lower GI bleeding, including cancer, polyps, diverticulosis or hemorrhoids.  Anti-inflammatories, even with COX-2's such as Celebrex, are associated with bleeding.  

A colonoscopy would be the most reasonable test to suggest.  This is the most direct and comprehensive test to evaluate any colorectal disorders that can cause the bleeding.  

If there is continued pain and the colonoscopy is negative, I would also inquire about an abdominal CT scan.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
It's not normal. It's possibly something very dangerous. It's essential that he see a doctor. It might turn out to be not serious, but there's no way to be sure without a thorough evaluation. Delay can make things worse.
I have also had a similiar experience for quite some time now and don't really know how to describe it or what to make of it.  I have always had stomach problems-and was diagnosed with Irrital Bowel Syndrome a few years back and ever since then I have had on and off lower stomach pain-culminating in severe pain, a burning and almmost bleeding sensation in my stomach for the past few months.  I guessed stress had something to do with it.  I've already had a colonoscopy, ultrasound, and various other tests to get to the bottom of it and finally it was suggested that my diet be totally wrong for me, though I try to eat healthy anyway.  I don't know what to do.  It wouldn't have worried me as much if I didn't notice some bleeding when I go the bathroom as of late and I don't want to go to more doctors.  I just got finished seeing so many and am tired of people trying to figure me out.  Please help if you have any advice!
A related discussion, Back Pain Loratab regimen was started.