Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
need to wean off pepcid,have questions!

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

need to wean off pepcid,have questions!

I have been on pepcid for almost four months and i want to stop taking it,cause its been too long,but i am scared to stop.are there any withdrawal symptoms?
Whatever you do, make sure to wean yourself off of it.  Otherwise, you will likely end up with acid rebound, which is what happened to me the first time I stopped taking Prevacid.  In fact, I hadn't had actual heartburn as a symptom until I stopped taking the Prevacid...the very next night and following night, I had terrible burning pain and ended up back at the doctor's.  Start by taking one (or 2, if that's your usual dose per day) every other day for about a week or so, then, take one every 2 days for awhile, and then stop and see how you do.  I was taking the DGL all along and think that also helped me the second time I quit taking it (Prevacid).   I'm doing well managing the reflux and had my endoscopy and pH monitor done yesterday and am waiting for the pH monitor results, but the endoscopy didn't show any sign of reflux or ulcers, etc. Good luck!
Do you take only as needed or do you use it for 4 weeks and stop? I am trying it again instead of Pepcid.
Hi Karie,
I've been taking the DGL for about 8-10 weeks now.  I still take it before meals...it won't hurt you, only help you.  I believe that I read in one of the postings awhile back that we should take it for 3 months (?) and if you are doing better and want to try "not" using it then, see what happens.  But, I want to be on the safe side and will continue to use it indefinitely.  I believe it to be very healing and hope it helps you, too.  I think I've said this before, but, it did take me longer than some to notice the improvement, but everyone's system is different.  It took me at least 3 weeks, but I'm doing much better now.  I also still use the aloe vera juice on occasion.  Hang in there!
I agree totally with Needabreak. Good for you, for wanting to get off of the dangerous acid blockers, in a safe way!

Michael T. Murray, ND (Naturopath) wrote in his book about Digestive problems, that DGL (De-Glycyrrhizinated Licorice) can be used daily, until about 3 months AFTER one has no more reflux &/or stomach problems. Then, you can try stopping the DGL, and see what happens. (My husband and I use DGL every day with good results.)

While using the DGL, follow label directions (chew 1 or 2 DGL tablet(s) for about 10 seconds, to mix with saliva,--do this about 20 minutes before EVERY MEAL), AND TRY USING THE DGL EVERY DAY, (shortly before each meal). DGL helps to HEAL the stomach, intestines, esophagus, throat, etc, AND the DGL seems to stop or lessen reflux in many people.

As Needabreak said, slowly, slowly wean off acid blockers because: SUDDEN stopping of acid blockers can cause "rebound" (extra) acid production in the stomach, causing worse GERD symptoms!

Let us know how the DGL works for you! At least give it 2 weeks of a good try. If you feel good results, keep using it until you are well for 3 months.

I also hope you will try ALL the "Gastric Reflux Tips (without acid blockers)", because there are MANY things in addition to the DGL, that can help lessen GERD for many people.

Sincerely, Concerned lady
http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com
With this attempt to try I stopped for today: The heartburn, abdominal pain was so bad and when you can't eat and other health concerns arise. My husband suggested waiting a day or so. If in fact it is Celiac disease would DGL help. Why oh why must my stomach girgle,feel pain, heat, burps when I have followed all the guide lines for months on end. Oh how I miss real food, Almost tried a Tums again or one of the acid drugs but found strenghth and a ice pack on my stomach. Hungry...........
potatoes, rice, water, apples........Co-workers teased I should write a diet book......But no lol.
What besides Aloe gel with water can give some relief for the hours of pain? I had heartburn bad after juicing : cabbage,carrotts,celery and the Aloe.  Maybe more then one try for all .........Keep the Faith..........