Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
normal digestion

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

normal digestion

Does anyone know how PPI's effect normal digestion ? Will I still be getting all the vitamine and minerals I need if   I take PPI's ? Are vitamine supplements useful ?
1 Comment
You really don't need stomach acid to digest your food. The "Most" IMPORTANT part of digestion STARTS in the mouth. Your saliva is the number one thing that starts the breakdown of food, this is why they say you should chew your food 30 times before swallowing. The more you chew, the more digestive enzymes your body produces. You should chew your food until it's literaly liquid! The MOST important thing to EVER remember. Some people however have a very hard time digesting their food while on PPI's and the main reason for this is because not only is there no stomach acid, but on top of that they're NOT chewing there food, but rather swallowing too quickly thus producing not enough enzymes TO digest their food. High doses of PPI's will at times make it hard to digest as well. It's best to take the PPI in the AM I'd say an hour after breakfast. As for vitamins and nutrients. Digestion is the process by which food and drink are broken down into their "smallest parts" so that the body can use them to "build and nourish" cells and to provide energy. If you don't have any small intesinal problems (e.g. Crohns) and you are CHEWING up your food, than you will have no problem getting the proper nutrients your body needs. EVERYTHING is in the saliva. The longer you chew, the more the body will absorb and the BETTER you will feel. Watch how GOOD you feel. Try this. During breakfast, lunch and dinner, SIT and really take your time eating. Chew everything up like I said COMPLETELY before swallowing. You will feel so good and will not have that "Bloated" or should I say that "Full" feeling. The reason for this is because people don't chew their food enough , which misses the most important part of digestion. ENZYMES. Which again, are produced by the saliva in our mouths. I hope I didn't ramble here and was able to give you some impoprtant information. Also, if you take the time to really  read the below link I'm enclosing, you will see! Take care and good health.

-Jenn

http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health/digest/pubs/digesyst/newdiges.htm