Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
oil in bowel movement

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

oil in bowel movement

This afternoon, after feeling like I had gas for a long time, I went to the bathroom to relieve myself, and had a large amount of what seemed like an oily substance in my stool.  It was orange in color, did not smell like feces (although it certainly smelled very foul), and was most definitely oily in nature.  In addition, there were large amounts of this stuff, not just a few droplets.  I am a healthy, 29-year old male and this is the very first time that this has happened to me. In the 24 hours that preceded the incident, i ate the following:  A fillet of escolar (a fish) pan roasted in a little olive oil, mashed potatoes, peanut marzipan, and thai-style shrimp and calamari in sauce.  I am extremely alarmed by this and am wondering if it's a one-time thing due to something i ate (and if so, what), or if it's something more serious.  On this forum, I read that it there could be a variety of causes, from chronic pancreatitis, a malfunctioning gall bladder, malabasorption, etc...Can someone shed further ligh on this?  I have an appointment with my physician tomorrow, and am wondering what I should ask her and tests I should ask for.
The possibilities you have mentioned can all be considered.  I would also add any type of gastroenteritis or infection as well.  

Tests to consider would be blood tests for the pancreatic enzymes, as well as stool tests to evaluate for fat malabsorption, and infection.  Blood tests can also be considered to evaluate for celiac disease.

An abdominal ultrasound can be considered to evaluate the gallbladder.  

If the symptoms continue, you can consider a lower endoscopy (either a colonoscopy or sigmoidoscopy) for further evaluation.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.straightfromthedoc.com
I had gastric bypass surgery on August 17, 05 and I have those oil bowel movements that you are talking about. But I "have" to gave them because in the gastric bypass surgery we have "malabsorption" that's why this happens to us but in your case, I don't know. I think that the best thing to do is to ask your doctor. Hope this helps...
M><>
The exact same thing happened to me. I had escolar Friday the 21st and it is still going on...I have eaten this type of fish before but never experienced this. Did you ever go to the doctor?
Escolar (also called butterfish or rudderfish) has a high percentage of undigestable oils.  These can cause the problems you are referring to.  Google "Escolar" and oily stool and you will find many internet sites talking about this.  Hope this helps.
I experienced the same oily deposits when going to the toilet also, and the smell was very distinctive. Like wet grass. Seriously I was very concerned at first, but after 2 days the symptoms had gone. I ca'nt remember what I had eaten, but my partner had a viral infection in her stomach a couple days before I experienced the oily discharge, so I put it down to that. Still not 100% certain.
A related discussion, oily orange substance coming from anus ? was started.