Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
omeprazole

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

omeprazole
I am taking omeprazole from last four months, my age is 38, i have GERD problem, how many year i can take omeprazole 40 mg safly. thanks
Hi:

Prilosec is a very safe drug, but when taken for too long, it can lead to an increase in certain gastric cancers, and it is possible for you to develop a tolerance to the drug. However, if your doctor has deemed it safe for you to use on a long-term basis (this involves a weighing of the risks versus the benefits) then you should continue taking the medicine as directed.

Hope this helps,
JOHN W. (RPh)