Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
pain in anus after hard stool

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

pain in anus after hard stool

: Sometimes after a hard stool, I get a pain in my anus that lasts up to several hours, sometimes until the next morning.  Sometimes I can't even sit on it because of the pain.  I do have hemorrhoids, but wasn't sure if they could be doing this.  I'm 30/m and had a colonoscopy in Feb 1998 showing everything was ok except for the hemorrhoids.  Should I be concerned that it may be something worse, like anal cancer.  Additionally, is it ok to take the following fiber supplements daily or is it too much.  I've been doing it now for about 6 weeks and it has helped my IBS significantly  - 4 FiberCon, 2 tablespoons Metamucil and 2 stool softeners (docusate sodium).  Thanks.
  Dear Mark F.,
  Your symptoms are probably consistent with an anal fissure or hemorrhoid. However, it is difficult to diagnose these conditions with certainty without visual inspection of the area. You may want to see a colorectal surgeon to be absolutely sure that nothing else is going on in the anal area. The fact that you had a recent normal colonoscopy is reassuring. The fiber supplements that you are taking are fine. Another easy way to meet your daily fiber requirement is to eat FIBER ONE cereal (2 oz.) daily. I hope you find this information helpful.
  This response is being provided for general informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice or consultation. Always check with your personal physician when you have a question pertaining to your health. If you wish to be seen at our institution please call 1-800-653-6568, our Referring Physicians' Office and make an appointment to see Dr. Szilagy, one of our expert Colorectal Surgeons.
  HFHSM.D.-ym
  *Keywords: anal pain, hard stool