Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
pain in left side under rib cage

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

pain in left side under rib cage

I have had so many problems in the last couple months that I really don't know where to start.  My latest is a pain in my front upper left side right below my rib cage.  It's not constant and it's not a bad pain but just enough to bother me and worry me.  I am also having bad lower back pain that comes and goes.  I have had changes in bowel movements going back and forth from constipation to loose stools.  I recently starting having dizziness on and off throughout the day but the doctor thinks it's an inner ear infection.  I woke up this morning with nausea but it's hard to tell if it's related or just nerves.  I also lose weight in spurts, just recently another 7 pounds.  In July the doctor noticed my thyroid was swollen but tests show nothing and that is not even an issue at the time.  I also had an abnormal pap in July (ASCUS) but have recently had a repeat that was normal.  I just turned 30 in July and it has been one thing after another ever since.  Does anyone have any ideas on the pain in my left side?  I will start a journal to see if there is a pattern but it doesn't seem to be.
Thanks!!!!!!!
Hi  clover91.  I know how you feel.  I am 33 and since September, I have been having one thing after another.  And the symptoms, like yours, go from one end to another.  I can't understand it.  But, enough about me.  Are you taking any medication, and how long have you been taking it?
I'm not on any medication except penicillin which I am taking because I had strep about a week ago.  The pain switches from upper left side to about mid left side to middle (belly button area).  It's not constant or extreme pain but like an annoying ache or dull pain.  I explain it as twitches or twinges of pain.  I'm sorry your having problems too but it's comforting to hear that I'm not alone.  Everyone thinks I'm crazy but it's not my imagination.  I really am having problems.  I'm so tired of going to the doctor and I feel like I complain too much.  Any ideas?  Have you seen a doctor with an answers?  I had red blood cells checked for anemia or infection and they were fine.  I had an iron test that did come back a little low.  It's at 52 when normal starts at 40.  My most recent thyroid test was also okay.
You may want to look at some earlier posts on the board re: pancreatitis (or other pancreas-related problems).
I've sporadically experienced the dull, left sided pain for over five years now. About five months ago, a week before my 28th birthday, the left-sided pain returned, this time accompanied by severe fatigue, lower back/hip/flank pain that persisted almost two weeks, floating stools, and gas pains. My doctor checked my amylase and lipase and gave me a Spiral CT, thinking it was pancreas related. The blood work came back normal as did the CT. The symptoms continue(d). I was referred to a gastro doctor, who explained that if I'd been experiencing recurrences of mild pancreatic problems/insufficiency, my amylase/lipase wouldn't necessarily appear abnormal. I also learned that, despite being one of the best diagnostic imaging test, a spiral CT often misses pancreatic cysts, lesions, etc because of how 'hidden' the pancreas is in the body. So, now I'm being put on various medications, hoping someone consents to an MRCP or ERCP to find out what's really going on in there, and the left-sided ache, gas, floating stool, and occasional short, sharp pains below the sternum have become everyday. I've found that keeping my diet beneath 25 grams of fat daily and drinking a lot of water really help.
Take a few minutes and look around on www.google.com, might help you narrow down your symptoms, and again, this board is a great resource.
Important though, if you even suspect it may be pancreas-related after reading all of the info and stories, don't drink any alcohol, at all.
As you'll see from other postings, it's not easy convincing a doctor to even consider the pancreas as the source of a problem, unless you're actually turning yellow, vomiting bile and losing weight in front of his/her face. This goes double when you're 30 or younger. I've found it's helped me immeasurably to educate myself on the possible problems, what my symptoms may mean, and to go in prepared with questions and requests for various tests. If they say no, time to go to the next doctor.
Good luck!
I have seen a Dr.  I have been to both my  reg. MD and to the Gastro Dr.  The reason I asked if you were taking any medicine is that I was on PPI's  for what they say is reflux and it made me hurt like that.  I know what you mean about talking with the Dr.  I am almost afraid to mention that I have been having cloudy urine because that has nothing (at least I don't think so) to do with all of the other problems that I have been having.  I have also been having a lot of sinus stuff going on.  I did get an antibiotic last week for that which really helped.  But all of these are problems that I have never had before.  I have never had any medical problems.  So it is hard to understand.   I check this board several times a day, looking for answers.  I hope you get to feeling better.  No one has ever mentioned pancreatic problems to me.
A possible explanation for the back pains...If you find yourself arching your back to relieve pain in your abdomen (as I do), the constant and unconcious clenching of the back and rib muscles may be sharp fatigue pains.
Do you notice a connection with the upper left side discomfort occuring when you have episodes of constipation (or if you've eaten a large meal the day before or are having gas)? The colon makes a turn from across your back to down your left side at that area and the discomfort could be due to gas or hard stool. Try drinking more water and including more fiber in your diet. The dizziness could be due to dehydration (from your episodes of diarrhea.
Has your doctor ruled out Irritable Bowel Syndrom (syndrome)? It may be helpful to read other posts about this disorder to see if your symptoms are simular. Take care.
Thank you everyone.  All of your comments have really helped ease my mind.  The pain does seem to get worse or better depending on meals and bowel movements.  I have actually felt pretty good the past couple days.  I do believe the dizziness might be related.  I have noticed that I am always thirsty.  I've been drinking a lot of fluids the past couple days and have felt very little dizziness.  The pains were also gone until today but it has been mild followed by constipation.  I have a lot of the symptoms of IBS so I am waiting another week, keeping track of my symptoms, patterns and going back to my doctor.
Thanks again everyone for your information.
I am 60 years old and never had medical problems in my life.  Over the last few years I've become a solid pain.  Meaning my neck, my arms, my back, my legs, in other words everything hurts.  The worst seems to be my left side of my rib cage.  I've had quite a few severe attacks that have sent me to the floor in agonizing pain.  I can't move or get up tell it is gone.  I cry and scream it hurts so bad. Like someone just plunged a knife in.  The burning around my rib cage is constant whether I eat or not.  I am a vegitarian, so I don't eat fat of any kind.  I love chocolate but when I eat it I'm in for an attack.  My Doctor has diagnoed me with Fibromyalgia and IBS. I've had all the tests, Ultra sound, MRI, Up scope and down scope and blood tests.  I take Vioxx, Zoloft and Trazodone.  Love to hear from someone with help or comments.  Thank you....Kay
Hello mas77!!
Ive ben living with same kind of symptoms as you for 4 years...i feel something is wrong.Doctors use to tell me i have irritable bowel syndrome.And on other things such as pain in my upper left side they just close their eyes.I am absolutely agree with you-doctors are different!!! And of course its not enough for them if you tell what you feel,unless you are bleeding or change the  colour of your skin!!(lol its so true!!!)
I am going to see my doctor tomorrow,and before im gonna prepare a list of tests of what I would like to do!! Because they are dont care much!!
Hi...saw a new Doctor last week.  I told her what I've told 5 different Doctors over the last two years.  Two years ago I had a Flu shot, that left me with the Flu for a month and the Rib cage burning and pains.  I always felt I  might have a Virus.My new Doctor put me on Valtrex to fight a Virus infection.  I have started to feel less burning and pain.  I'll be taking it for a month and then I will let you know how I feel. Thanks for your support.
Important! Did you ever find a cause of your symptoms. Mine are identical to your question on Dec-20-02. Hope its not bad. Mine started with prostatitis, then gastritis. Think it is Systemic Candida. Can affect digestion-pancreas, etc. Good luck getting a test done- A nutritionalist can order a stool kit through GSDL(Great Smokies diagnostic lab). They must have an account though. Please respond ASAP as I am very ill. Thanks
I get the same pain and is very uncomfortable in any position i sit or lay down. Yesterday was one of those days. It seems to me that it triggers when i eat spices. My gastro and Regular Dr. has diagnosed me with IBS and Gastritis. The pain is caused by gastritis. Lately I have stopped eating foods that can cause this pain along with what i drink, like soda. I suggest you go to your doctor and get a referral out to a gastro. Take malox it might help...it does for me. I hope you get better cause it's an ugly discomfort.

latebloomer
I'm glad I'm not the only one.  I spent last night in the ER crying from the pain in my left side. I also have gas, bloating, heartburn and alternate between contipation and very soft stools.  But a CAT scan and blood work were all fine.  I've had this in cycles for years and the doctors just shrug their shoulders, and shake their heads then they offer me pain killers. But those make me really sick so I won't take them.

I had a medical intuitive tell me that I had a cyst on my pancreas that was exacerbated by the alkaloids in cocoa. I did quit eating anything with chocolate and cocoa and it got better for a while but it's back.

Has anyone ever tried an acupuncturist for this?  I was thinking of giving it a try since half a dozen MDs have failed to find any solutions.

What tests should I ask for next time I go to the doctor? I have a followup on the 14th and would like to offer some ideas (if he'll listen).

Thank you for any suggestions.
K
I was reading the symptoms that everyone is experiencing here and wanted to say that I too have the upper left side abdominal pain that doctors are refferring to as IBS.  I have been prescribed Zantec for reflux problems.  I noticed that my symptoms come on when I ovulate.  I almost feel like I have appendicitis.  I take Ibprophen and it relieves the pain.  It usually last a day.  I get my cycle a week later and when it is ending the pain returns for a day.  I have all the other symptoms described above and have noticed that my diet reflects on the pain.  I was wondering if anyone else has noticed any simularities when they ovulate?  I have recently had my tubes tied.  I sure hope everyone is feeling better.  I am 34 years old and this has been going on for a while now.  I have been tested for everything, and it all is normal.  I just feel like it is not right.  I might also mention that I have had my gall bladder removed when I was 23 years old so I have an extra sensitive stomach this might have an influence on my stomach problems.  Thanks!!
I was so amazed to find this place with all the same symptons I have.........I can't even work, I get so sick....and then that makes my stress level worse, cuz I lose money, not enough sick leave........been going on like this for 3 weeks, and nothing from the docs are helping,,,,they did a gallbladder scan and found nothing..........monday they are going to do a Hiata Scan.....which I have no idea what that is........tried my hardest to work monday , tuesday, wednesday........but, by wednesday nite I nearly collasped (so nauseated, sharp pain in upper adominal (abdominal) and left side, and sharp pain in lower back shooting down my legs, my legs felt so weak.......so, went home early from work.......going back to the doc tommorrow to beg for HELP........I can't take all this misery no more!!!
I am responding to C8 Nana K
(11-Jan-03).

Yes I have something nearly identical.
Go to a chiropracter and ask them to examine your back. I am working through this right now and yes I know how bad it can be. One possibilty (and I think a strong one) is that one set of oblique muscles has become a little weaker than the other. Possible Result: The other set of obliques is giving a slight twist and pull to your spine which causes a pain that wraps around the rip cage.  The muscles can be aggrevated so BE CAREFUL! Talk to a chriopractor, ask about the spine, prarticularly in the thoracic region and ask for specific exercises to strengthen some of your muscles. If he tells you to do any exercises, let me know which ones.  Your pelvis will be slightly out too. I am looking for a way out too, I'll let you know if this works or not.

Please contact me directly:
***@****
I was hoping to see if anyone's doctor came up with a solid diagnostic for this type of symptom. I got the shoulder shrug as well. Mine is not necessairly pain, but feels like I have a bowling ball sitting right on top of my stomach or has a rubber band wrapped around it just right below the rib cage. It comes and goes, had it for years and years, and every gastro MD I have visited has given me the shoulder shrug after tests come back negative.
Usually if i sleep on my stomach or press on it with my forearm, it feels better. The ONLY RX that has ever made it feel better is Librax.
I'll keep looking for more posts to see if someone's doctor comes up with a Eurkia!

jp
I have been reading your posts and I have very very similar symptoms. The past few weeks I have been experiencing a sort of sharp pain under my left ribcage. It feels like it is just below the ribcage, but just slightly under. I noticed sometimes too that I get this pain a short while after I eat something.(maybe its not related?) Sometimes the pain is just an annoying dull sort of pain that is uncomfortable and sometimes it is very very sharp and hurts very bad. It almost feels sometimes like my left side under my rib is swollen or bloated. I noticed a few days ago that on two occasions that I can remember, the pain came just awhile after I ate. Last week when it was very very painful it was just after I ate a mandarin orange crepe (which is just oranges and vanilla ice cream) and some tea.

I have no clue whatsoever as to why this pain has started. Does anyone know what tests I would need to ask to have done to try to see what is wrong? I would like to tell my doctor which tests I want done, because otherwise I will be sent home after being told im probably fine and with some silly prescription that will do nothing to help.

Any help would be appreciated!

I had the same problem and it was my stomach flipping up under my rib cage...a chiropractor figured out and corrected the problem for me..
Oh my god.. Read this, im doubled over in pain over my keyboard. It sucks so bad. Its pain in my left side under my rib cage. It almost feels as if i have gas but gas should NEVER hurt this bad. Ive been having it off and on for a few weeks now and i just dont know what to do about it. I cant even see my dr right now because lack of money. My lower back has been killing me along with my stomach. When i walk alot, its my right side under my rib cage that hurts alot. I dont understand it. It makes me feel as if someone is stabbing me in the stomach with an ice pick. I hate it.. If anyone has anything they can tell me, please email me at california_carter***@**** thank you so much.

Krys
I have had the same kind of pain in my left side in the rib cage area that radiates from back to front. If I press on it, there is some relief but it is very difficult to walk or sit as the pain is pretty intense. It comes on without warning and seems to last from 2-6 hours at a time. I used to think it was mucsle pain and went to a chiropractor. I am not sure whether it helped or not and eventually stopped going. I had CT scans of the thoracic region and nothing appeared abnormal. Some of you have mentioned colon and IBS issues associated with the pain. I also think this could be a problem as I fluctuate between constipation and diarrhea with sometimes other distress in the bowels. There is probably no miracle cure but if we could at least discover a name or cause for this disorder, I certainly would feel a little less stressed out over it. I even suspected a pancratic problem but I have no other symptoms that could tie it to that problem except the pain. I will keep checking this forum for future comments.
I have had similar pain for 6 months.  burning, gnawing pain that comes mostly after eating along with sharp pain in one spot...all on my left side.  i had an endoscopy, Cat Scan, Ultrasound, MRI and DecidaScan...all normal.  the only thing i have had abnormal so far is my Lipase Level.  but it is only slightly elevated.  so my doctor is thinking MAYBE chronic pancreatitis which is so hard because now i am terrified i have chronic pancreatitis.  I am 28 and have lost close to 15 pounds...putting me quite underweight.  I am terrified of the pancreatitis and at a loss.  my doctor too is shrugging his shoulders and keeps trying to put me on pancreatic enzymes which make me sick.  a friend of the family stil swears it is my gall bladder even though the gall bladder scan was normal.  anyway, I empathize.  I am in pain every day, trying to work, and afraid of what is wrong.  any input is appreciated.
Maybe you should check into having your gall bladder checked out. I have been having the same problems. I know the gall bladder is on your right side, but it can cause allot of pain on the left side. My doc said they play off of each other. I am having sharp pains under my left breast which would be my upper abdomen, under my armpit, down my left arm, around my chest area, trouble breathing,  in between my shoulder blades, and my lower back. Also getting the dizziness. Just had a hide a scan done and they tell me my gall bladder is not functioning properly. Need to have it removed. I have been to chiropractors, physical therapist, and had about a thousand tests done. And finally we came to this conclusion. Hopefully the surgery takes care of the problem. I will keep you posted if you like. I am just so glad to hear that i am not the only person who feels like they are going crazy. Hopefull there is an end to all these problems. Hopefully this helped some of you people out.
I too have that pain and everyone thinks I am crazy.  I  sporadically get mine..but I can pin point on the exact spot now because it is always sore to the touch.  My pain is on the mid left side directly under the rib cage.  The attack usually starts in the morning and grows until I am in excruitiating pain by night fall.  I know that pain and there is nothing I can do to stop it.  I have eaten malox until I can eat no more.  It feels like a smoldering fire that by night fall is an inferno.  My left side visibly spasms that you can see my skin move and quiver over the pain sight.  It feels that if I can just relief gas..explode that is..I would feel wonderful. The burning just moves through my entire intestines..but the hot spot is definitely under the rib cage. I can not lie down at night..I just walk and walk.  I find that if I eat eggs on an empty stomach i will get this..odd I think...Garlic too.  Now if I have toast or a bagel with eggs or garlic I will be fine.  I got it terribly once when I attempted the Atkins diet. NEVER AGAIN!!! The only thing that helps me is Motrim..it lessens the spasms..relaxes me and allows me to sleep.  If I sleep..by morning the pain will be gone but my side is so sore...it feels raw.  I had a sonagram done of my gallbladder...and when they pressed on it I almost went through the roof...But they said it was fine.  My doctor said that it is just a minor irriation of the duodenal and since it only occurs 3 - 4 times a year..deal with it.
Maybe you should get your docotor to do a hide a scan of your gall bladder. Cause they did the ultra sound on mine and found nothing. The hide a scan is how they found that my gall bladder was not working properly. They inject some nuclear medicine into you and watch it run thru your system to see if it is operating properly. I highly suggest it if you didnt have it done already. Good luck!
I've lived with the same left side under the ribs pain. I've had a multitude of tests and been diagnosed with mild ibd (chronic colitis), ibs, spastic colon, gastritis, acute cryptitis, and now cystitis(?bladder?). I've also had a sonograms of the pacreas and kidneys, which were "normal".  I've also had sinusitis and went through surgery to fix this problem and reduce the # of meds I was taking.  
I go from thin normal stools, to very loose, or constipated (as long as 7 days).  When I get bloated my belly is about 3x it's original size. If the pain is not the usual dull but constant pain its a sharp popping/stabbing pain.  Before and during my period it is worse, with sudden attacks in between.
Yet this pain feels unexplained with the above diagnoses.  It's worse after I eat (small or large meals- fatty or not).  I try to rub the spot by placing my fingers under my ribs and pushing and massaging.  Sometimes it feels better and other it feels worse.  I have my husband walk on my back simple to massage and force my muscles relax to alleviate the pain.  I've also had more and more difficulty sleeping.  I don't know anymore if this is from the pain, stress and frustration or from something else.  I've spoken to the doctor about Fibromyalgia- but she's leary. She'd rather keep sending me for tests that I don't think will produce any conclusive results.
If anyone has any suggestions please respond.
I have been getting a pain under my left rib cage but this is closer to the sternum than underneath. It is normal for pain in that area to refer to other parts, such as the groin, shoulder, arm etc? I also get a bit of numbness in patches from time to time.

The pain doesn't seem to be there when I wake up but comes on not long after and seems to vary in severity. It doesn't seem to be linked to what I eat of drink, but does seem to be stress related. Can anyone relate?
I have had pain under and below my left ribs for over a year. The pain is sometimes sharp, and sometimes juts feels like a cramp. Its sore when I press against the pain, but I also feel pain in my lower back, which when pressed is also painful. This pain under my ribs/lower back comes and goes and can last from a few mins to about 1/2 hour. I also seem to be either constipated or have diahorrea/very soft stools. Is this IBS or could it be a kidney infection? Any advice appreciated...
I also am having these pains as everyone else has described, under my rib cage on the left hand side, and it hurts worst than having a baby :) from what i can remember. Also around to my back.  My left breast feels like its burning and ready to explode and i also feel all the muscles in my back seize up and i cant move.  I have been to the E.R twice and to many doctors about this but no one can tell me whats wrong. If any body figures it out or your doctor finally does please let me know.

Email me at: cassandra_and_friends***@****

Good Luck All
I too have been having pain under my left rib cage. Usually a feeling of fullness with some sharp dicomfort. My bowel movements usually after I eat are mucus/diarea , my doctor wants to do a sigmoidoscopy he thinks its colitis. i was worried about colon cancer, the doc said its possible but rare at my age. im 33. Im a little worried but after reading everyones symptoms on this board i dont feel alone in my fear and symptoms
Hi all,
I am new here. I also have pain in my left side and front. Still doing test. For those of you that may not know, because I did not. There are some new test out. 1. a test for bacteria in the body that you have to take anibiotics to get rid of. I showed negitive for that. 2. Is a test that shows if you have an intalorence for frugtose(fruit sugar) I showed positive for this one. All you have to do is to blow in bags and they test evey half hour or so. It may not be the whole answer but it is a start. Hope this helps.  Katieb
Well I've had pain in my right side, beneath the rib cage.  So maybe I should be in the "right" side thread.  Also have had occassional sharp, stomach pains.  I was first prescribed a prescription antacid.  That didn't seem to help, as the problem seemed to be more prevalent in my right side.  I also had blood work done to check for liver problems.  Everything appeared pretty normal.  I have just gone for an ultrasound and am awaiting the results of that.  When I press my right side, between the rib cage and hip, it's very tender, a little pain, and just feels harder or more tense than the left side, which is soft and fleshy.  I've also had lower back pain.  My side doesn't really hurt.  It's just sort of a dull, sore feeling... a feeling like "something is there."  The last three days I've had just a touch of light-headedness as well.  Not sure if this is related to what anyone else is suffering from, but figured I'd contribute my story.  It's frustrating.
I am a 29 year old female with a lot of the same problems.  They have persisited now for about 9 months and seem to be getting worse.  What started as one episode is now a few times daily and no one knows what is going on.  To get to the point...I have a regular pain on the left side, just under the breast, but unlike the other comments made I don't have the lower back pains.....instead I have pains in my neck and shoulders.  Huge knots from "stress".  At night when I go to sleep just before dozing off I experience a flushing, burning sensation from the tips of my toes to the top of my head which immediately startles me awake.  This happens until I am completely exhausted and finally fall asleep.  All blood work has come back negative.  I am so frustrated.  The pain on the left side is dull, then excruciating.  I was in the Dr. office when I had an "attack" and the left side of my body went ice cold and the right side was hot and sweaty, it was like someone had drawn a line down the middle of my body and the temperatures were opposing each other.  The Dr. noticed and said I was a medical anolomily(sp?).  He had never seen anything like that before.  When we did the ekg the pads stuck to my left side, but not my right.  I am rambling on but I am so frustrated with my situation that I need help...my body is acting so strangely that I feel like I am going crazy.
Hello Ladies' I was surfing the net, I had typed in my symptoms and this web site popped up. I am so relieved to see I am not alone. I am only 20 years old & do I have some stuff to tell you.
I always had pain in my stomach, I always had to run to the bathroom and I had a dozen bowel movements ! We'll the doctors diagnosed me with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). none of the meds work. so i dont go to the doctor for it. but I lately have been having cloudy urine (which means your dehydrated), rib spasms off and on. lower left back pain/also on my hip/down toward my pelvis. I have lost weight in the past 5 or 6 months. from 134 pounds to 118 pounds. I have god awful periods. I am so emotional and mean 2 days b4 my period. so im not sure if what i have is IBS or endometriosis or what? I have had kidney stones 3 times before. when i eat something in the morning when ih avent eaten anything or if its the first time i eat anything at all i get a bad pain in my stomach. i also get pains in my left breast and shoulder blade (all left side pain) and hurts more wheni  breath in.I am not sure if I can post my email addy on here, if i can let me know? I have aol. im 20 female alabama. please send your comments and opinions. thanx so much !!! good luck ladies'
Bamabone- Have you had any look in finding the cause of your problems?  I too have pain on my right side under the ribs and down the right side.  Same kind of thing, tender to the touch, feels a little bit more tense than the other side of my abdomen.  Been going on for six weeks now.  I just started having some low back pain as well.  I had an ultrasound, it was normal.  Liver function tests are all normal except for ALT which is elevated.  GP does not know what it is and has referred me to a Gastroenterologist, who doesn't have an appointment until Nov. 5th.  I'm busy looking for possibilities myself.  To no avail.  Anybody have any ideas.
From what I have been told by gastro. doctors, the alk phos. will be elevated if something is going on in the biliary tract.
You may want to mention that on your next visit.  Good Luck. Also type it in doing a search on the web.  You will be amazed what kind of information you will have with you on your next dr. visit.
You may have a small bowel or colon tumor in that area they don't hurt alot but cause all of those symptoms.  Try a Gi specialist or if you are having any problems with anemia associated with this see a hematologist.  It needs to be worked up asap.  A ct scan and upper gi and colonscopy are all possibly helpfull for diagnoses.  Don't ignore it and don't let them tell you it's nothing, persist!
I'm 33 - fulltime working mother of 2.  The left-sided pain under rib cage radiating through to my back just started 2 nights ago.  I've acid reflux for the past 4 years but haven't religiously taken my meds.  You just get sick of taking drugs for birth control, hip joints, depression/anxiety, bla bla bla.  Anyway, this new pain woke me up in the middle of the night. It was like a clentching pain, then a release.  My normal family practioner is sending me for the whole gastro area ultrasound November 18th.  She thinks it's gall bladder, but I was confused as the pain is on the left side.  I suppose it's all connected some how.  Has anyone out there had a resolution to his/her pain?
I am so glad to have found this site. I am a 29 year old female having the same problems, as most listed here. My pain in my left side, just under my rib cage started about a week ago. I feel like I am falling apart. I had mono last spring, problems with my stomach for ever now and it just keeps getting worse.
I am going to make an appointment with the gastro Dr. - i have to find one that is good around here. Another interesting problem is that I can't drink alcohol anymore. I thought it was becasue of the mono lingering, but i have no taste for it and when i try to drink i feel very ill. I wasn't a heavy drinker but went out on the weekends. Now my social life is as miserable as my physical health!!
If anyone has any input or has found anything out please feel free to e-mail me directly.
***@****
***@****
I was wondering why my post (which I thought made the most sense)was deleted?
oh wot a relief it is 2 finally find some where that people are experincing the same problem as me.. i have since may been experincing pain across my chest into my left brest and down into my left side under my ribs ....i have bouts of constipation or diahoria with exessive wind ..my doctor as me on acid tablets which don't help at all ....i have had a endescope which showed i had the h pyloi virus and a small stomache ulcer which iw as treated for with antibotics ....i feel like i am in constant pain ..i have periods where the pain is so bad i could cry the pain is like a constant dull aching that never lets up i am at a loss wot 2 do with myself if i try 2 talk 2 my doctor he simply says acid reflux and cope best i can ....but how do we cope when we feel like we are always in pain ..i am beging to think i could have ibs as my symptoms are very close 2 that .... wot really scares me is i have eposides where i will be come really hot and sweaty and dizzy where i feel i will pass out then i get a urgent need 2 empty my bowels and the pain in my side becomes unbearable i dont know wot 2 do anymore i have 2 kids who are now suffering as i feel so ill all the time i dont sem 2 ever have time 2 spend real quality time with them ....if any one as any ideas as 2 wot would help me plese let me know it dosent matter how trival they are i am at a stage now where i am willing 2 try anyhting 2 end this misery i feel in
thanx wendy xx
Male. 38 years old. Good health. Non smoker. 6"3, 185lbs (i.e. not overweight). Desk job. Experiencing low grade, dull, ache just below left ribcage, off and on throughout the day. Ache is aggravated whenever I maintain a forward leaning position for an extended period of time (for example vacuuming, giving kids a bath). When aggravated, the ache/pain manifests itself as being more towards the surface and being a very localized pins and needles type feeling. Also feels like everything in that area of my body is being overly compressed. Straightening up almost immediately relieves the pins and needles feeling however the dull ache continues. That being said, trying to find a pulled muscle by bending different ways and doing situps etc reveals nothing.

After meals the pain can be (but not always) aggravated by sitting. I often find myself rubbing the lower rib area in an attempt to message the pain away. Seems to have some positive effect. Pain doesn't seem to be affected by what I eat or drink. Have had this problem for almost a year. Am often constipated. Constantly burping, even when I haven't eaten anything. Lots of bloating and gas, worse after eating of course. Belly seems very distended at times even though I haven't eaten much in those cases. Light nasea at times. Light relfux at times. No weight change. No pain when eating. Healthy appetite.

A recent CT scan of my abdomen revealed nothing. Excellent physical in the last year. Comprehensive blood tests reveal nothing our of the ordinary. Doctor prescribed antacids but they didn't change anything. Doctor prescribed anti-gas pills and they help relieve the bloating but do nothing to eliminate the pain. Doctor doesn't believe it's anything life threatening but is referring me to a GI specialist.

Some additonal comments that may or may not have any relationship to this situation: in the last year I've drunk more coffee than I ever have before. I used to not drink much coffee (1 to 2 cups a week maybe) and now drink 3 cups a day. I often have tense neck muscles and related tension headaches for which I take Alleve or Anacin. These probably occur once a week. I've heard Alleve's active ingredient (sodium naproxen) is very hard on the stomach. Is this related? I have no idea. I also have chronic sinusitus for which I take daily nasal corticosteroid spray (much of which is swallowed). Is this related? I have no idea.

Anyway, sorry for the long posting. Maybe someone else has experienced the same and can offer some words or experience and advice.
Hello, I'm a patient from Canada and I've been reading alot of posts. I require some feedback regarding the seemingly similar symptoms that are listing in this forum.
I've had (2) episodes of pancreaitus.  Since then I've been diagnosed with "Pancreatic Divisum".  The way this has been explained is the slow drainage of enzymes from the pancreaus which causes pressure and pain around the left under rib as described in this post.  In my case, I've been diagnosed after having an MRCP done.  The physician seems to be an expert in this field and suggests that divisum is often overlooked.  I'd like some feed back from anyone in a similar situation.  I'm thinking of having an ERCP done to cannulate the minor duct.  If anyone needs some additional information on "Pancreatic Divisum", simply google it.  There's tons to read.....but I am actually looking for first hand experiences as I am about to have this done and would love to get a feeling of how many others out there have similar diagnosis done.

WOW, I am so glad to have people who are also befuddled about the same condition. Mine has started as left upper back pain, but occasionally radiaites around the bottom of my rib cage to under the ribs. I also have tenderness under the sternum.

Under the rib cage feels "full". I have had lung and bone scans as I had cancer  in the right breast a few years ago and they were worried it had metastized. I also had an enlarged thyroid, which they biopsied and it was fine as well as the t4-t3 stuff. The condition is a chronic one, but occasionally becomes a very acute type overbearing pain.

Pain killers and  muscle relaxers put me to sleep, but don't take care of the pain
I think about my pancreas, and that's the next step, but no jaundice or digestive troubles. Hope we can all find our answer.
I'm a 37yo female.  Pain under left ribs for 3 years now, intermittent.  It started off with severe pain that sent me to the ER, never that bad since.  Palpable inflammation, tender to touch.  No direct correlation to food intake -- sometimes it helps, sometimes it makes it worse.  Life-long history of IBS, depression, and arthritis for past 7 yrs.  Last week I had an edoscopy which indicated GERD and possible Barret's Esophagus (will get full results next week.)  I wanted to let ya'll know a few things I have found out:

First, DONT take NSAIDs like Alleve, Motrin, etc -- VERY BAD for the stomach.  I had been eating these like candy for a few years prior to rib pain thanks to yet another ignorant md -- a orthopedist who was very doomsaying about my arthritis. (Which nonetheless gets BETTER every year!)  Then I found out they cause ulcers due to to severe acid production.  Also, I just went off of antidepressants after a year on -- they seemed to make it worse.

One thing is for sure -- docs know a lot about a few things, and almost NOTHING about the whole, and all my life I've had to PUSH, PUSH to get them to do their job and not just throw pills at me and dismiss me.  (Including this G-Entrologist.)  So far, my intuition has beat out their initial diagnosis every time.

I have a hard time believing this under-rib pain is just my esophagus, as the GE expert says.  Although I may have GERD, the GERD-like symptoms I've had are differnt from this pain.  I wouldn't be surprised if there's more than one thing going on, as GI stress is certainly a SYSTEMIC issue.  Here's something I just found that might interest you: http://www.emedicine.com/MED/topic1721.htm

History: For most patients with chronic pancreatitis, abdominal pain is the presenting symptom...

Clinically, the patient experiences intermittent attacks of severe pain, often in the mid or left upper abdomen and occasionally radiating in a bandlike fashion or localized to the mid back. The pain may occur either after meals or independently of meals, but it is not fleeting or transient and tends to last at least several hours. Unfortunately, patients often are symptomatic for years before the diagnosis is established; the average time from the onset of symptoms until a diagnosis of chronic pancreatitis was 62months,, add or subtract 4 months. The delay in diagnosis is even longer in people without alcoholism, in whom the average time is 81 months from onset of symptoms to diagnosis.

The natural history of pain in chronic pancreatitis is highly variable. Most patients experience intermittent attacks of pain at unpredictable intervals, while a minority of patients experience chronic pain. In most patients, pain severity either decreases or resolves over 5-25 years. Nevertheless, ignoring pain relief with the expectation that the disease eventually will resolve itself is inappropriate. In alcohol-induced disease, eventual cessation of alcohol intake may reduce the severity of pain. Variability in the pain pattern contributes to the delay in diagnosis and makes determining the effect of any therapeutic intervention difficult.
Other symptoms associated with chronic pancreatitis include diarrhea and weight loss. This may be due either to fear of eating (eg, postprandial exacerbation of pain) or due to pancreatic exocrine insufficiency and steatorrhea.
A small percentage of patients (7%) have painless chronic pancreatitis and present with signs or symptoms of pancreatic exocrine or endocrine insufficiency.
Physical:

In most instances, the standard physical examination does not help to establish a diagnosis of chronic pancreatitis; however, a few points are noteworthy.
During an attack, patients may assume a characteristic position in an attempt to relieve their abdominal pain (eg, lying on the left side, flexing the spine and drawing the knees up toward the chest).
Funduscopic examination may reveal a milky white hue in the retinal blood vessels when hyperlipidemia is present.
Occasionally, a tender fullness or mass may be palpated in the epigastrium, suggesting the presence of a pseudocyst or an inflammatory mass in the abdomen. Patients with advanced disease (ie, patients with steatorrhea) exhibit decreased subcutaneous fat, temporal wasting, sunken supraclavicular fossa, and other physical signs of malnutrition.
I cryed realizing that there are more people out there that have the same problems that I have. I have had my  Gall badder removed in 2001 and started having pain on my left side under my ribs in December of 2003. I went to the hospital and they said it was my spleen and then said it was IBS. and sent me to my doctor I then went to the doctor and he gave me meds for it and I can't take it cause it worse syomptoms.

My pain is off and on and it worsens if I move. I feel like I have a fever when I don't. and I feel nausua all the time I don't know what to do I KNOW SOMETHING is WRONG but my doctor just won't listen.

He put me on a High fiber and low fat diet and it doesn't help, I also have been drinking alot more water and it doesn't tonch the pain.

If anyone has any ideas of what tests I should ask for please E-mail me at ***@****

A related discussion, pain in left side was started.
A related discussion, Dull Pain was started.
A related discussion, pain in left side under rib cage was started.
A related discussion, Maybe Celiac Disease was started.
A related discussion, Pain on left side under rib cage was started.
A related discussion, pain on left side of abdomen under ribcage was started.
A related discussion, response to clover91 was started.
A related discussion, Pain everywhere was started.
A related discussion, i have pain on left side under my ribs comes and gos was started.
A related discussion, Pain on left side under rib was started.
A related discussion, pain under left rib was started.
A related discussion, solution.. at least for me was started.
A related discussion, solution... at least for me was started.
A related discussion, pain under left ribs area was started.
Hi.......I recently had my gallbladder removed about a month ago and now I h. ave a pain on my left side, under rib. It kind of feels like air. I explained it to my surgeon who removed my gallbladder and he said I just have to give it time for my stomach to feel back to normal. I don't have any other symptoms....so

A related discussion, pain left side under rib cage was started.
Hi i am having pain on my left side at the Rib cage & sometimes i feel it on my right side as well. At first i started having these really sharp severe pains in my sides,stomach,&pelvic area then it got severe to the point where tests were done non stop. I had a colonoscopy & endoscopy done. All tests have came back fine. Then i was told i had fibryminigia???? & ibs. But other concerns i am having are back pain with fullness of bladder,cannot stop going to the bathroom and burning with urination but nobody can find anything out. I think it  might all be connected some how has anybody had the same problems.....
A related discussion, swollen rib, pains was started.
I'm experiencing the same type of pain as all of you. I had several test done and they came out normal. I decided to try the gall bladder/liver cleanse & I was amazed at how many stones I passed. I plan on another gall bladder cleanse this month. This cleanse is simple & painless. The cleanse is called The Amazing Gall bladder/liver cleanse. I recommend you research before you try. I will make it a habit to cleanse twice a year. This cleanse was recommend to me by a physicians wife. She tried it and recommends this cleanse for everyone & anyone. This is after I was told that my gull bladder was fine. My pain did subside. I have also noticed that my body goes through different types of pain, especially before I menstrate or when I ovulate. I find that my pain starts at the mid section of my stomach near my ribs and it travels to my left side. Gasy & bloated. The pain start in the morning and usually subsides or stabbing needle spasm occur. I am wondering if any of you has had a colonoscopy? Or are having digestive problems. I also find that the pain becomes more intense when I eat surgerless items containing Aspartame. Processed foods jack me up! So I stay away from those items like the plague. I find that I have to pay attention to things that I consume. Soy, whey & diary also cause problems. So I'm lactose intolerant & diagnosed with IBS. But this pain is different. Please let me know if any of you have had a colonoscopy because that is one test I haven't had done. Thank you
A related discussion, have pain in my left hand side underneath my ribcage was started.
Patients with chronic abdominal
pain represent a diagnostic enigma.
Because of the many potential
causes for the pain The list of
possible diagnostic tests is
extensive. IN your case many
structural causes have been
excluded. It may be necessary to
repeat some of the tests in an
attempt to make the diagnosis.
Before reaching such a decision,
your physician should repeat a
detailed history and physicial
examination.
Many causes of left side abdominal
pain made worse by lying down:
could be hiatal hernia, ulcerative
colitis, IBS or Irritable Bowel
Syndrome; adhesions from previous
abdominal surgery; Chronic
pancreatitis -hx of prolonged
duration; constipation,
diverticulosis, PID or Pelvic
Inflammatory disease.;STD or UTI
( urinary tract infections) ; bladder
and kidney infections; bowel
obstruction.
Gastric ulcer pain typically gets
worse after eating, for instance,
while pain associated with a
duodenal ulcer tends to subside.
Gastroesophageal reflux disease
(GERD) is often linked to alcohol,
caffeine, or chocolate and may be
exacerbated by lying flat shortly
after eating
If your patient is a woman, pain in
either the right or left lower
quadrant could also be caused by an
ectopic pregnancy or a ruptured
ovarian cyst. Similarly, pain in the
suprapubic or lower abdomen could
be the result of a urinary tract
infection, mittelschmerz (ovulation
pain), or pelvic inflammatory
disease.
Regardless of the patient's gender,
diverticulitis is a possible cause of
lower left quadrant pain. If the pain
comes from the left upper quadrant,
possibilities include acute
pancreatitis, gastritis, and injury or
inflammation of the spleen
Hypoactive or no bowel sounds may
be the result of peritonitis, paralytic
ileus, mesenteric thrombosis,
narcotic overdose, bowel ischemia,
or hypokalemia.
The typical pain of acute pancreatitis
is exacerbated by lying down and
relieved by sitting up. Pain that is
relieved by eating or taking antacids
suggests duodenal ulcer disease,
whereas diffuse abdominal pain
that appears 30 minutes to 1 hour
after meals suggests intestinal
angina.
Other causes of left lower abdominal
pains could be gastroenteritis,
polyps and colorectal cancers.and
bowel obstructions.
A related discussion, worried to death!!!! my stomach has issues was started.
A related discussion, Hiatal Hernia was started.
A related discussion, Left Side Abdominal Discomfort/Pain under Rib Cage was started.
A related discussion, pain in middle of chest and under left breast was started.
A related discussion, left side pain /back stomach/itchy was started.
I found out I was bipolor when I was a teen, I learned to cope without treatment and am working. For a while now I been having trouble working due to depression from finding out I have I.B.S. and fibroidmylasia. So when I am at work im always sick and in alot of pain always. Ive missed alot of work and am close to losing my job. Some days I cant get out of bed, but I do to pay the bills. Im losing control and I can no longer take the pain and the stress. Do you think I am able to recieve disability.  I get really bad pain on my left side under my ribs.  The pain hurts so bad sometimes I get sick and sweat real bad. I have to lay down because I will pass out.  I get really dizzy and I have to move my bowels and I fill like vomitting and passing out at the same time.   I feel the pain on my side all the time  on and off.  Can someone help? Has anyone been through this
A related discussion, Pancreatic Cancer and left sided pain...connected? was started.