Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
pain in left-upper abdomen: pancreas or gallbladder (or something else)...

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

pain in left-upper abdomen: pancreas or gallbladder (or something else) ?

I have a long history of "stomach" problems for last 7 years - now I am 33. Most of the problems went away when bacteria was discovered and treated with antibiotics.
However for last 10 months I am feeling pain/pressure in my left upper abdomen. Initially it was an occasional feeling of pressure that came and go (there could be whole week of feeling ok). In last 3-4 months the pressure changed into pain and the pain is almost all the time there.

I will list my symptoms:
- pain/pressure in left upper abdomen. There is hardly an hour when I do not feel it. Sometimes it lasts for minutes, sometimes for hours. On 1 to 10 scale I would say it is around 2-3.
- the pain may go to my back (left side mainly) or to be close to my left shoulder
- in last 2 months the pain is more intense - I wake up during the night several times
- my stool is loose and a little bit yellow. I am mostly on vegeteranian diet, but when I eat meat the stool floats. I rather tend to have constipation, but anyway the stool is loose.
- I am not sure if my pain is related to eating - maybe a little bit, but I am feeling it so often that maybe I do not notice the regularity
- from total of about 10 hours pain per day I may have one or two minutes pain on my right side (under ribs or under right shoulder)
- sometimes in the evening I feel itching
- about 2 years ago I had very strong attack of pain (I would say 8 in 1-10 scale) on left side of my abdomen, that went to the middle. However in ER the doctor did not diagnose it as pancreatitis - he said gastritis. I never had that strong pain again.

Tests that were performed in last 6 months:
-gastrocopy: normal
-colonoscopy: normal
-ultrasound: sludge-like deposits in gallbladder
-gallbladder contraction test: contracts in 32%
-CT scan: normal
-MRI scan: normal
-endoscopic ultrasound: normal, however the doctor said that my pancreas consistency is more solid than usually in my age
-some blood tests showed bilirubin 1.9, but another one showed 0.4
-any other blood test was normal

My first gastroenterologist (did only gastroscopy and X-ray) said it was irritable bowel syndrome caused by my spine that is not perfectly straight.
My second doctor was telling me that it was gallbladder problem and sent me to a surgeon.
Surgeron said that my symptoms can not be explained by gallbladder and sent me for additional test.
Now I wait for appointment with the 4th doctor.

I was taking stool softeners and citrucel, but it did not help. I also was takin hyocamine (against spasms), but it neither helped. Taking advil (9 per day) helps, but without it I can hardly focus on my job.

I have following questions:
- should I remove gallbladder or not ?
- can a gallbladder cause stool to be loose, clay-like in color and make it float ?
- are there any other tests that should be done ?
- what do you suspect to be the most probable cause of problems ?

Sincerely,
Jerzy B.
Dear Jerzy,
It would be presumptuous of me to make suggestions regarding surgery without taking a history and doing my own physicial examination.  With regard  to your other questions:
1) blockage of the common bile duct by stones, even if the blockage is only temporary, can cause clay colored stool;
2) given the question of a possible pancreas problem, additional evaluation of the pancreas with ERCP may be helpful

I am afraid that specific diagnoses can not be offered based on the information provided
Hi Jerzy -

I have similar pain for the past 2 months (and also have been predominately vegetarian for the past 20 years) as do lots of us in another threaded discussion here (see "Upper Left Quadrant Pain" below).

It's very frustrating, and also scary living with the pain, but as long as your tests keep coming back okay, keep pushing them (the Drs.) to look further if you can.  I just spoke with a friend who is an osteopath who said the myriad of possibilities in diagnosing abdominal pain is endless, anything and everything from intestinal parasites to toxoplasmosis to Crohn's to IBS, etc etc, and it just takes a persistent doctor (s) to get to the root of it.  Since your tests returned negative, is sounds like most of the life-threatening things have been ruled out.

I'm sorry I have no experience with gall bladder problems. I hope the Doctor who answers these questions responds to you soon, as I am curious about her/his professional response.

Good luck and check out the other posts below, as I mentioned.  We're all hoping someone has some success with diagnosis so that we can share the info!

Carol D.
Same thing here----
I have battled the upper left abdomen / unexplainable pain for years....been thru every test - abdominal scans, GI series, ultra sounds, colonoscopy, endoscopy, etc..etc...
recently had another ab scan...all normal as can be---am scheduled for another endoscop in  a few weeks....am sure nothing will be found..
I keep saying  DOC----something has gotta be wrong !! something is being overlooked....it's right by/under the rib cage & it's always there...sometimes it gets soooo bad  I could scream----have never figgured out if food related or anything---no pattern anywhere..
F R U S T R A T E D  !!!  arghhhhhh

take care...Rob

I have the same symptoms. the pain sometime extend around to my back and up to my sholder and arm. I agree with Rob something is wrong. I wish someone would come up with a anwser.
Dear Jerzy, I can only suggest the same to you as I did to Kimberly.WHOLE HUSK PSYLLIUM.Make sure its fresh and keep it in the fridge after you open it.If your gassy or have diariah or constipation It will make you regular again.People go there whole lives with gallstones and never have problems.There are so many things that cause many of these symptoms.I think anyone who's having gastric type problems should probably try to stay away from problem foods such as hard alcohol,spicy foods,garlic,lemons,limes(there go my gin & tonics)anything with citric acid,caffien (ya right)high fat meals ,chocolate etc.& especially eating too fast or too much at at a time.I tend to have gallbladder like attacks if I overeat due to a spatic asophagus. Its better to eat many small meals  instead of 2or 3 large ones for poeple like us.I always make sure to keep snacks with me like bananas,protien bars or shakes.I was serprised to find that anything with peppermint,like Altoids,really killed me.Hope this helps!.
Dear Jerzy B.,

I have had the same symptoms for years. It seems to be worse

lately and I've developed a lump on my back where it is always

hurting. I have constant pain under my front left rib and right

next to my left shoulder blade. I'm constantly scared because it

also makes it hard to breathe. My doctor doesn't find anything

and I don't have the financial means to find an answer. I'm told

I'm just under alot of stress. I just figure that someday with

the pain I have, something bad will happen and I'll end up in the

hospital and then someone will believe me.I also have chronic

trapped gas, can't burp, can hardly expel gas,and a clogged

potatoes-in-the-throat feeling, dry cough, symptoms are never

ending. On mornings when I'm having this problem, my chest and

back are so stiff and I can't expel the gas, I'll lay there for

hours trying to relieve gas(which hardly ever works)because when

I stand up it will go behind my left rib and cause constant

pressure. I wish you luck on your diagnosis and if it's helpful

please pass it on.

Sincerely,

Cindy C.

Dear Jerzey,
     I have the exact same symptoms that you describe. I posted many months back under upper left quadrant pain if you want to hear my whole story. The only difference is that in the last month or so my pain has moved to mostly the right side. My second GI MD has given me a 'presumptive' diagnosis of chronic pancreatitis. He can't officially diagnose me as it is so hard to diagnose in the early stages and every test has so far been negative. It is very frustrating. He did start me on pancreatic enzymes-8 with every meal and before bed. The pain has improved with them but is still there. Some days it is so bad I do take pain meds but in general I try to stay away from them.
     Take care and don't give up!!
      Elizabeth
I am experiencing similar symptons except they are more in the middle top part of my stomach and on both the left and right sides and it goes around to my back. I have already had my gallbladder out. Point me in the right dorection as to what you think the diagnosis might be
I have a 14 year old daughter that has been going through this same pain,such as,left side in the upper rib cage.
Pain in her shoulder.She can't eat right because of nasusa. She is loosing weight. She just saw a doctor about htis and she put her on Pepcid RPD. He does take this pain away,but now she was told to go on a bland diet.We need help.
She also plays soccer and this pain worsens as she plays.she buckles in pain.HELP!!
This is the first site I have found where people are complaining about up back pain.I have had all the same symptoms for a few years.  I too, have been through many tests and have been told it is stress related or maybe lactos related.  The pain is mainly in the mid to left side of my stomach and goes to the left side of my back.  The pain in my back is almost constant.  I find that a heating pad helps me sleep.  I feel like there is a lump in my throat, but it doesn't stop me from eating.  I have no energy by the end of the day and some times it feels like my right kidney hurts.  I was taken to the hospital last April with terrible pain in my lower back and right side.  After many tests they desided I was passing a kidney stone.  I did have blood in my urine and ended up with a nasty bladder infection the next day.  Which cleared up with anti-biotics.  The kidney stone (if there was one)  has never been found.
Carol -

you really need to be the squaky will with the medical system and press for further testing for your daughter. Is she losinbg weight because she isn't eating, or is she eating normally but losing weight?  You are entitled to a second opinion of you have na HMO - I just recently found this out.

I would think the pepcid would be to treat reflux (from which I also suffer bouts of), but the reflux pain is usually dead center between my ribs where the end and it is usually a sharp stabbling pain.  I have asked my doctor if the pain in my left side could be related to my reflux and she doesn't think there's a relation. Fortunately my docotor is willing to p[ursue all the test routes until she comes up with an answer.  You need to be assertive on your daughter's behalf and insist that your Dr. pursue further tests if the Pepcid treatment doesn't produce any positive results.

Good luck - let us know how it goes -

Carol D.
I have had this same pain for about 20+ years, off and on. I have been reading on the use of antacids, for the most part these do not help in my situation. I have been looking at he possible idea of NOT enough stomach acid as a real possibility. I have just finished a course of antibiotics for Broncitis. Ever since taking the antibiotics I have had another bought with this pain. I am quite aware of the need to replenish the bacterial flora after there use. One thing that has helped more than anything is the use of digestive enzymes and acidophilis.
If I take fairly high doses of acidophilis every morning before putting anything in me stomache for about 5-7 days and then use 2-3 caps of digestive enzymes every time I eat I find that the pain subsided. I have just recently been using this and it is about the only thing that has helped.

As to the use of any acid blocker, it is my understanding that a doctor should NEVER perscribe this type of medication unless there is clear evidence to indicate it,ei:Ulcers etc. It is necessary to the digestive process. Possible lack of stomache acid, causing putrification of undigested food can be the culprit?
It was suggested years ago that it is a pancreatic problem but all tests rule this out.
Maybe this info will be of use to someone.
jerzy                                                               I have some of the same problems as you if you get any answers  let me know  ok   kb
I HAVE PAIN AND LOOSE STOOLS SINCE MY GALLBLADDER WAS REMOVED IN JANUARY 1999.I HAVE HAD SOME OF THE SAME SYMPTOMS YOU HAVE. THE PAIN SOMETIMES IS UNBEARABLE.I HAVE CHANGED DOCTORS AND I HAVE ANOTHER ERCP NEXT WEEK.I ALSO HAVE NAUSEA TOO. CERTAIN MEALS AND EVEN SOUP MAKE ME HURT.
Jerzey...

The Gallbladder is on the right side, so if everything you are feeling is on the left, I would doubt it has to do with the Gallbladder.  I had sludge in my Gallbladder at one time, and was told that can come from a number of things, and taking the Gallbladder out wouldn't take care of my pain.  Eventually, I ended up with many stones in my GB, and it was removed.

Also, I have Chronic Pancreatitis, and from my experience and those of others I have spoken with, don't have pain on the left side, it is more right sided pain.

Sorry I can't help with more.  I do hope you get some relief and some answers to your problem.  I know how frustrating it can be.

Good luck!

R
Ifound out that I have diverticulitis
Nearly identical symptoms.  Yellowing of the stools is very distinctive.  I've been surprised that that symptom is not more useful to the docs.  All the same tests and results.  Currently awaiting results of a Serum Trypsin test for pancreatic function.  Docs are resisting ERCP because of possible complications.  Very interested to hear what you find out.  

-  I do find that Ibuprofin and Prilosec are the best for symptomatic relief.  Prilosec discovered by accident.  Had some possible GERD symptoms (difficulty swallowing)...GERD symptoms went away, but ULQ pain did not. ULQ pain was never helped by OTC antiacids or Zantac type meds.  Believe the Prilosec controls the acid inside the stomach that is irritated by whatever is causing the pain, and the Ib acts as an anti-inflammatory on pain source.  

- Keep posting if you find something.  I'll do same.
For about a month I have had a tightening in my upper stomach or middle chest area.  I am woken in the night by it.  I feel short or breath because of it, and I feel pain when I drink hot drinks or cold drinks.

Someone suggested that I have a hiatis hernia.  And that perhaps it has bubbled up quite a bit out of the stomach.  I have had six children...past that now, but I feel like I am nine months pregnant and have no room to breath and there is no room for my food.

My wife (age 36)was admitted 2 days ago with acute upper abdominal pain.
The pain radiated from the front to the back. She in slightly anemic and suffering a little weight loss, without explanantion.
Otherwise we both live quite healthy lifestyles and eat organic produce form our family farm. She does suffer form a fair amout of stress from worry.
Doctors say it is most likely an inflamation (inflammation)  of the pancreas or gallstones (or both). Should I seek further private investigations into long term disease or possible pancreatic cancer?

Thank you
For years I had pain in my left upper quadrant right under my ribs. It varied in intensity from hour to hour, day to day.  I came to the conclusion that maybe I, unlike the majority of people, felt stomach pain there instead of right in the center.  This assumption proved correct when I developed a lump feeling in my throat and then chest pains, that after 8 months saw a doctor for.  I was diagnosed with esophageal reflux and put on Prilosec. I never got "heartburn". A few weeks after starting the prilosec not only did the two new syptoms (symptoms) disappear but also the mysterious left sided pain that I had lived with for years disappeared also. Every time I try to stop taking the medication all the syptoms (symptoms) reappear.
Carol,
I have a 13 year old son who suffered severe upper left quadrant pain.  He had several tests done and all came back negative.  His pediatric GI finally did an ERCP.  They slightly dialated his Sphincter of Oddi and other than deveoping pancreatitis he was in good shape for about 3 months.  The pain and nausea came back with a vengence.  We took him to several doctors trying to find answers to his pain, nausea and vomiting.  We had one tell us it was completely in his head! We decided even if it were his pain was very "real" to him. We then took him to a pshycologist who specializes in pain management.  He gave him "coping tools" to deal with the pain while we continued to try and find out what was wrong.  After doing a lot of research our GI doctor agreed to do another ERCP along with a Sphincerotomy (he cut the Sphincter of Oddi).  Our son is doing GREAT!!!  He hasn't had any pain for 2 months now.  The doctor said if he is still doing this well after 3 months he will write a paper on his case.  Our son did not have all the typical symptoms that go along with Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction.  I guess the pain is typically more to the right instead of left.  At any rate, continue to look for answers.  Every doctor we saw said stomach problems can be difficult to diagnose. One surgeon who performed abdominal exploratory surgery said that a child could not pretend to be sick for 2 years and not to let anyone tell us it was in his head.  I'm so grateful we didn't give up.
I have some of the same syptoms (symptoms) pain in
my upper stomach between my rib cage that
goes thru to my back,bloating,and
yellowish fluffy stools in the days that
I am having the attack the only way the
pain will go away is if I get on my
knee's and lean over the cough so that
there is no pressure in my stomach or 2
percocits pain pills. I feel sick to my
stomach frequently but no vomiting. I
have had pancretitis 3 times before and
It feels some what like that without the
vomiting and releif of pains like bending over a couch.I've had blood test done
some test come back high white blood cell count and low red blood cell and within 4 hours it can change drastictly lower on
white count. Ive had upper GI normal and ultrasound which they saw sludge in my
gallblader (gallbladder) but no other test. I'm taking
prevacid it seemed to help after 7 days
but if I miss 2 days my pain and bloating comes back, when I say bloating I'm
talking 7 months pregnant big. I spoke to a person whom told my she had the same
symptoms and it turned out to be gall
bladder disease and no test showed it but a exploratory surgery, they took her gall bladder out but it didn't help because it took to long for them to find the problem that she now has problems with her liver
and pancrease and still lives with the
pain. So myself thats my next step is to
demand this be done so I'll keep in touch and If anyone has had this sugery done
and nothing was found please let me know.
***@****    thankyou all for your input.
goes thru to my back,bloating,and
I am having the attack the only way the
pain will go away is if I get on my
knee's and lean over the cough so that
there is no pressure in my stomach or 2
percocits pain pills. I feel sick to my
stomach frequently but no vomiting. I
have had pancretitis 3 times before and
vomiting and releif of pains like bending
over a couch.I've had blood test done
some test come back high white blood cell
count and low red blood cell and within 4
hours it can change drastictly lower on
white count. Ive had upper GI normal and
ultrasound which they saw sludge in my
prevacid it seemed to help after 7 days
but if I miss 2 days my pain and bloating
comes back, when I say bloating I'm
talking 7 months pregnant big. I spoke to
a person whom told my she had the same
symptoms and it turned out to be gall
bladder disease and no test showed it but
a exploratory surgery, they took her gall
bladder out but it didn't help because it
took to long for them to find the problem
that she now has problems with her liver
and pancrease and still lives with the
demand this be done so I'll keep in touch
and If anyone has had this sugery done
***@****    thankyou all for
your input.
PLEASE HELP! Recently my boyfriend experienced what we thought was hepatitis A. After having blood work twice it was found that his bilirubin is very high.Additionally, the blood work for the hepatitis A came back negative as well as the stool samples that were taken. Also, he had an ultrasound that showed nothing but if there is sand in his gallbladder then it would not show up on the ultrasound. The gastric specialist he was referred to by his HMO made fun of his claims and claimed he had irritable bowl syndrome ( which for this doctor is like having cold). I am particulary worried since his mother died of gallbladder cancer and his father had his gallbladder out when he was thirty (my boyfriend is twenty-eight). If any one can send me information or share their similar problem I would greatly appreciate it. I can be reached at jmh1 @ms1.allencol.edu
Thank you
J IN PA
Hi !
I'm 26 and have had severe abdominal pain on my uppper left side right under the rib cage for about six months. The pain is sharp, like being stabbed with a knife. It is fairly constant throughout the day but sometimes more intense in sudden attacks. I also have alternating diarrhea and constipation with cramps and bloating as well as nausea, ulcers in the mouth and often a low fever. I've had ultrasound, endoscopy, colonoscopy, crt scan, upper gi series, have been on 10 different medications - hydrocodone,prilosec, prevacid,belladonna,elavil,bentyl,etc.
The tests were all negative, upper gi showed mild heartburn, blood tests were fine - only high ana count of 1:1280 but I was told that doesn't mean anything. I also saw a rheumatologist who didn't think it suggested sle or anything similar. None of the medications have worked or even slightly improved my pain. My gi doesnt' know what to do and i'm really frustrated. I know a lot of the messages posted here are from people with a similar condition. Does anyone have more information on this or any suggestions on what else to get checked or whom to see?
I'd greatly appreciate some input ! Thank you
Karen
Hi Karen -

If you hadn't mentioned the mouth ulcers and low fever, I might suggest your symptoms sound like IBS (alternating diarrhea and constipation) -- I'm not a doctor, just a fellow sufferer of upper left abdominal pain -- and have been doing a lot of research - with not very many answers.

Has anyone tested you for h. pylori bacteria?  Also - candida (yeast)?  -- candida can invade anywhere in your body (not just vaginal yeast infection) and can give diarrhea, low grade temp, ulcerations in mouth - I believe.  If you can, try to get your hands on some live acidophilus capsules (they will need to be kept refrigerated baceuse they are live bacteria.  This is the good bacteria in your system and intestines.  I would take 2 capsules or so 3xs a day (at least 1/2 hr. before or after meals).  It osunds like your system is out of balance and it's possible it's been made worse by the medications, etc.

When you say you've had a low temp, what has the range been?  I'm curious becasue when I was feeling my worst, I had a temp that tanged from 98.8 - 100 (generally staying around 99.6)  for about 10 days or so. None of the doctors I saw thought this was anything to be concerned about, but to me it seemed odd and maybe an indication of something wrong.

here are 2 other websites I've found that might help:

http://www.parkviewpub.com/

and

http://www.bcn.net/~stoll/index.html

Keep us posted -

Carol D.
I have been going through the same type of pain for a few years now.  First I was told it was my gallbladder and had it removed but the pain continued.  Then I was told it was an appedicitis and had that removed.. pain continued.  Cancer was found, had that removed and still pain continues.  If you find an answer please email me!  
***@****
Brenda
Hi Carol !
Thanks for replying to my message. I'm glad I found this site after such a long time of frustration and feeling helpless.
I actually did get tested for H. pylori - it was one of thr first test I got when my doctor suspected I had an ulcer. I actually haven't had a recent check for candida, so I'll take care of that and see what the results are. Thank you for that tip and the web sites, I will check them out right now !
Karen
Hi again !
Regarding the low grade fever - it sounds the same as your range usually 98.6 to 99.6, sometimes 100 but never more than that. And I usually get a for a day or two when my attacks are bad, then it subsides again.
Help!!!!!!
I'm a 39 year old male and I recently under went surgery for a spinal fusion between c6 and c7 in my neck.  I feel great now from that but have since had a problem with my stomach.  I have been to a gastrointestinoligist and was infromed that I either had an infection or lymphoma, cancer in my lymphnoid glands in my mesenteric root. The doctor gave me cipro and then more tests and all the results came back negetive.  I had 2 ct scans and both showed my spleen was slightly enlarged and a few lymphniod glands also enlarged.  I have since been to see an Oncoligist and was informed that he thought that I might have a problem with my gallblatter.  Well here are my symptoms:  Almost a constant ongoing pain that veries from minor discomfort to extreemly painful.  I have been having belches and bloating and gas.  I notice that most of my pain comes after I have something to eat. However it seems as though I have the pain always but in different degrees.  I would like to know what ideas are out there for me to try.  All my blood work has come back normal and also they found no evidence of an infection.  Please help if you can as I seem to be on hold at this time as I am waiting for more tests.  THANKS IN ADVANCE
I have the same symtoms (symptoms) as jerzy.  I am scheduled for another ultrasound on wed.  That same day I am having a hida scan.  I am not completely sure what it is, but it is supposed to tell me if my gall bladder is functioning correctly.  If I get any breaking news, I will surely pass it on.
I've been having the same problems as Jerzy, the pain is getting to hard to handle and I've been tested for lots of things and they keep coming back normal.  I'm off to see a gastorologist now but that's a month away and I feel that I can't hold on that long.  
Symptoms:  Pain in upper left side, (now starting on the right.) Pain radiates up, feels hot and some times sharp. Will hurt when I take a deep breath like a pulling. Contractions like braxton hicks when I was pregnant. My whole rib cage in contractions. Constant no relief, for about 6 months now. Hip pain. Stool is loose and yellow, mucous,had one episode with lots of blood.  Spicy food doesn't change it or different types of food.They think it might be IBS,but I don't have the majority of the symptoms. Exhaustion...
Test done:  Barium enima,colonoscopy,blood test,laporoscopy. All came back negitive. Ruled out endometriose's,small intestine, colon, hemroid's.
Medication:  Bentyl,prilosec, and metamucil twice a day.
Family history with gallbladder problems. I don't drink or smoke the only really bad thing I do is coffee in the morning only. I've lost 35 pounds, 20 from changing eating habits, but the last 15 from this problem.  
I would like to know if Jerzy found out any more information about what it could be?  Can you give me a list of things it could be so I know what to ask the doctor and eliminate.  I'm glad that my doctor is keeping tabs on me and won't let me quit the testing, he's trying to help clear this up.  Thank you for any information that you can give to me.
Like many of you I have had upper left pain vague under the
rib-to back & midline.  I have had the lower colon test, ok.
From your feedback I am wondering about pancreas, although
they did a ultrasound and said they saw nothing unusual.  I
have had back problems and wondering if it may contribute.
After several trips asking what is this???? Oh you probably
have IBS.  It is frustrating when they just toss something
at you like that, rather than looking deeper. Thanks for the\
info.
My wife has had gastrointroitis, but we it's been so long we can't remember what to do about it.  What should I do?

***@****
I have much of the same symptoms as jerzy. i was also told I had gallbladder sludge, and my liver bloodwork came back unusual once, but then cleared within a couple of mmonths - they think because the sludge had passed.

but the left side pain continues, as does the right, and itching, yes, itching = look forward to seeing if anyone gets an answer to this problem.
I have posted in two toehr areas but feel compelled to post here, as well.  Last year, aroud this time I began having a runner's stitch type pain in my left side under my first (top) rib area.  Whe I spoke with my dr about it he diagnosed me with costrocondritis due to the tenderness of my left rib area ( I actually flinched when the dr. touched it.)  He sent me home telling me to take ibuprofin for the pain ans that it should resolve in a few weeks, whcih it didn't!  Anyway, I thought I was crazy and didn't pursue it, although I was still experiencing the pain.  A few motnhs ago I went to a different dr. who did rib and chest xray with no negative results.  I told him about numbness traveling down my left leg to which he had no real response.  I have recently, within the past few months, been experiencing reflux and an increase in gas/belching, whcih I have never had a problem with on an ongoing basis before.  In addition, the past six months I noticed a change in my bowel habits.  They are not as regular and when I do have a BM they are soft and "fluffy" as some one else described here and have within the past week have become "yellowish".  My BMs have become more regular with the addition of adding fiber to my daily diet as well as yogurt for the past 6 weeks or so.  I am at a loss as to what to do.  I am a relatively healthy 30 year old female.  I have mild persistant asthma (diagnosed about 5 years ago).  I am slightly overweight and have not lost any since this whole thing began (to my dismay).  I now get a pressure feeling in my chest when I eat, even after a few mouthfuls and am regergetating my food on a more frequent basis, now.  I eat a vegetarian diet and have so for about 11 years now.  I work out about 5 times a week.  I thought I was going crazy, but am glad to see others are in the same boat as it was feeling very lonely for me.  If anyone has any clue or additional information I would be glad to see it.  Good luck to all...D
Addendum... My Xrays DID NOT reveal anything unusual..
Hi Dawn --

I posted a reply to you above in the other post about persistent upper left abdominal pain.  When you have the reflux is the pain right in the center just below and between your ribs?

Carol D.
Have had many of same symptoms as those who have written before me.  I do have candida but find that if the candida is active it will make you crave things like sugar and vinegar.  Both feed yeast and make it grow.  I take acidophilus for this condition.  The type I take can be purchased through N.E.E.D.S.  Nutritional Supplements.  Phone # 1-800-634-1380.  The name of the product is Vita-Plex and you can purchase in either powder or capsule form.

As the other party stated, candida can invade your whole body, but not necessarily the vaginal area.  

Also regarding floating stool.  Environmental allergist told me this is caused by fat in the stool.  I too have all the other symptoms, acid reflux, diverticulitis, candida, solid stool but much liquid with that stool, and/or loose stool, and gallbladder was removed last year.  Food does not always get digested and no one seems to be able to figure out what is triggering all these things.  I am beginning to think that whatever it is, it is being cause by the food we eat.  Too many chemicals being used and animals being fed too many things like growth hormones and such.  I cannot believe that if these things are used on plants and animals that we would not ingest the same no matter what we are being told.

I have the same symptoms you describe: Pain (itchy) in the left upper abdomen. MRI test shows that I have cysts in the liver, so I will have an ultrasound of the liver next week. Anyone familiar with liver cystic disease?

COMMENT
Reply to Carol.. My "reflux" (which is self-diagnosed) feels like a pressure on my diaphram area.  It feels like it  is pushing into my sternum area.  Sometimes I regergiate food, sometimes not.  
I have again noticed a change in my bowelmovements (BM).  The are soft,but formed and seems "sticky".  (Oh how I hate talking about this).  I have really been trying to keep an eye on when the pain comes and goes and when it is more severe.  I realize that the pain is much more severe, and becomes more severe and sharp in like a jab when I am full and feel like I have to have a BM.  Someone in another posting stated she had gone to a Traditional Chinese doctor who felt her problem was trapped gas.  I believe this could be an accurate diagnosis because that is what it feels like to me... a lot of pressure and intermitent stabbing gas-like pains on the left side by my rib, like a runner;s stitch.  Anyway, I hope with all of us pulling together, we can find something out.  I have printed these comments and plan on taking them to my doctor to help describe to him what I am experiencing and that it just isn't me.  I am hoping that will help with a diagnosis.  

Is there a common link in that alot of us are vegetarians or close to being such?  
DAWN
pain in lower left side going to waist to right side oand down.
ame blowed with gas , releive gas and it come right back again,
Stomach look like im a having a bady beleive me im not. anti acids , milk, etc only help for alittle while and the its blows
again cant tak the pain and the gas any more,  any ides. if so plese let me know.lhave  c o p d , anxity problems taake med to move bwls. and for other systems and on oxegen  etc.
HELP...I cant seem to ever post a freaking question here and I have been trying every day for a MONTH!!!.  I am a 23 alcoholic
who stoped drinking 5 months ago due to a pulsing pain in the lower/middle right side of my body. At first it did radiate to the left side and to my back. I have had blood tests and even an ultrasound and they turn out normal. My physician thinks its Fatty Liver but im not convinced. I have been abstanant from booze for 5 months and still suffer the pain. I recently took some Roxicet pills and had a complete relapse, the pain was terrible  and I belive it could be related to the pill. Im sick of suffering and would like some positive diagnosis. I need to feel like my absitinance from alcohol is worthwhlile and the pain has only caused me depression and frustration.  HELP
I know what you are going through I had the same symtoms (symptoms) and just recently had my gallblader (gallbladder) removed. But I am still having problems with my stomach being able to eat certain things is still a problem. I have asked my doctor what can be done but still today I have not yet receive a straight answer.
I am 34 y/o female with a long history of colitis (IBS).  I have had it "under control" for several years until I began taking antibiotics for a sinus infection.  For the past six weeks it has been HELL! indigestion; bloating; pain under my left rib; mucus/some blood in my stool; diahrea; excessive gas; nausea; fatigue, 12lbs lost. (due to not eating). I have had 4 cbc and all are great.  I am going nuts and it is severly impairing work and social life.  At this point I am terrified to eat anything in fear I will have a bout of cramping etc.  Help.  Feedback please.
Hi Jen -

You might find more support for IBS related symptoms at this bulletin board:

http://www.parkviewpub.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

Carol D.  :-)
my son was dx as having gilberts disease. his t bil was elevated at 4.0. direct bili was 0.5 slightly elevated. none of his other liver enzymes were elevated but  his wbc count was 5.0 with a shift to the left  a marked increase of bands and toxic granulation was noted.he has pain around his belly button and off to his left side. the pain is intermitant one day you cant touch the area and the next day it is just fine. this has been over a period of 3 weeks. he does have yellowing in the eyes. as far as stool color and urine color i dont know.but even with bowel movemnts the pain doesnot go away.  i feel the judgemant of gilberts disease is to ?? i dont understand the infection state he is in. he doesnot have any other thing wrong so why low wbc with increase of bands and toxic granulation. please explain we go back to dr on monday 3-19-00 thanks
I am also an "upper left quadrant pain" sufferer.  Started 7 years ago while pregnant (at age 39), I would get post prandial ULQ pain and then vomit.  I lost 22 pounds while pregnant but fortunately had a healthy 8 lb baby girl.  In the meantime the ULQ pain hasn't gone away.  An recent upper GI series was normal.  Gallbladder ultrasound during pregnancy was normal - but a recent one showed gallstones.  My internist thinks it's an ulcer and prescribed prilosec....it hasn't helped.  I have had a lot of belching and a "buzzy" feeling under my left rib cage.  Any help would be appreciated.
the doctor says my gallbladder is not functioning and should be removed. I feel a pressure under the right rib cage almost like a swelling what could this be caused from as it causes quite a bit of pain that increases throughout the day and gets almost unbearable by the evening.  I have had a cat scan, exrays,ultrasound,and other tests and nothing seems to be found.
Hi jen I'd like to know what cbc stands for? Also I was treated with antibiotics and developed the same problems. I believe it caused me colitis.
P.S. would appreciate it if you respond to me by e-mail.
I am not Jen, but CBC (complete blood count) is a blood test.
I will be praying for healing for all of us. I have been to 4 different doctors because of the same symptoms. Pain in the upper abdomen, diarrea (diarrhea), severe cramping, bloating and sometimes constipation. My blood tests show high levels of amalayse, but my sonogram and upper GI were both normal. If anyone finds anything out, PLEASE pass it on. I am on 3 medications not including the large amts of Advil just to try to function day to day. God bless all of you~
i have been having pain on my lower left side, some days it goes all the way around to my back. i've had loose stools for three weeks. from the scale frome 1 to10 the pain is about a 6 at all times. i've been told that it is my gallblader (gallbladder) but everything i have read i'm not sure. i don't want to have my gallblader (gallbladder) out if i can help it.allso my stools have a lot of mucus in them.        please if anyone has any answers or can help.
i have been suffering from tightnessin upper right qaudrant the pain is almost always there especially if i lay on that side or i try to scrunch up  or do sit ups  ribs hurt on that side i have fibromyalgia its a weird pain it getssharp and then it goes away also it doesn't hurtto put pressure on it bowels are normal please help docs have been no help to me
acidophilis acidophilis acidophilis!!!!!

I had all of these symptoms... pains, yellow loose stools, dizziness, nausea, wacky blood tests etc...  No doctor could find the source.  I read about yeast infections of the stomach and it all made sense!!!!!!  The food I was eating was actually fermenting into alcohol in my stomach, creating all of these symptoms. After taking mega doses of acidophilis I was %100 better in a couple of days!!!!  Acidophilis is harmless, even in larger doses, therefore worth a shot if you can't find any other problem.  

Good luck!
I have been taking acidophilus (with other healthy bacteria - the product isd called "All-Flora") - 2 capsules with a galss of water on an empty stomach first thing in the morning.

So far no results  :-(

Gary: how much of it are you taking daily? Would you suggest I up my dose?

Thanks for the info.

Carol D.
i have now had blood test,ultrasound, and catscans,stool samples done and they have all come back o.k. i go in tomorrow to see a gastroenterologist. please i need some  answers. my left leg is   getting numb at times along with my  left side of my stomack. does anyone have any of these symptoms?
I just happened upon this website today. I found all of your comments interesting.  The one that most catches my attention is the "itching" and "buzzy" feelings.  I would like better description of what is meant by these.  I, too, have some of the symptoms all of you describe, but not as severe.

A definite pain in the same spot upper left right under rib cage. Sometimes very sharp and intense, other times dull and achy.  Sometimes I get pain on the right side but not too often. Gas, bloating, heartburn, constipation,bouts of diarhea (diarrhea) (not real often)and back pain. Do any of you experience exhaustion when you exurt yourself, i.e. yard work, lifting, etc. or bad breath? Do many of you have allergies?

I am scheduled to see a Gastro in a couple of months.  In the meantime, I have found that drinking soy milk has helped some. I also take MSM. It may be coincidental, but the pain is rarely there now.  I have to admit that I feel certain lifesyle changes make a big difference.  I am not exercising regularly as I was before, not watching my diet as well and have a big increase in stress.  I believe that these things are all contributing factors. I am not a vegetarian but don't eat alot of meats and I know I eat way too much sugar. I am curious to know how many of you have had to take a lot of antibiotics in the past.

Since my Dr. appt is a ways away, I have decided to follow a strict regimen until then to see if it makes a difference.  No sugar, no dairy, more fruits and veggies, and exercise (walking is the greatest!) continue to drink soy milk, no alcohol and take a good vitamin each day.  I'm sure this isn't a revelation to some of you, you've probably tried everything imaginable, but if not, why not do this for a considerable amount of time and see what happens?  It couldn't hurt. Everyone could share any changes or differences, if any as time passes.  It takes time and patience to get good health back.  Sometimes more than we want, but I believe that if there is nothing serious wrong, with good habits things will get better. Do any of you remember anything significant happening when symptoms began?  I welcome any comments or insight.  I'm certainly as puzzled as all of you are.
Hi Debra -

Check out the posts above concerning undiagnosed upper left quadrant pain.  A bunch of us have been suffering from similar symptoms with all medical tests coming back showing nothing wrong.  Some of us have thought it might be IBS, others have thought possibly shingles with noi skin eruptions.

I, myself, have pretty much always eaten a good diet, perdominately vegetarian, lots of fruit, veggies and grains. I also got a fair amount of excercise.  When my pain started I cut out all dairy, caffeine, alcohol -- for about 4 months. I drink soy milk, too. Nothing made a difference.  I still suffer from the same pain/uncomfortable sensation, so I've added dairy back into my diet in small amounts, and an occasional cup of coffee and a beer.

I think my pain might be of the shingles variety since my diet didn't seem to have much of an effect.  However, if you had IBS, I imagine dietary changes would defintely show some effect. Sounds like maybe that is what you are suffering from?

Please explain what MSM is. (you mentioned you take it.)

Thanks for the info -

Carol D.
Seven years ago, my life essentially came to a screeching halt. It started a year and a half earlier, maybe.  A sharp, shocking pain that would bring up my knee in a reflex, and I would suck in my breath, and after a bit, it would pass, and I would say, "Hmm" and go about my business. I certainly didn't have time or money to sit around and worry about some silly pain that came and went. What doesn't kill us, makes us stonger? Slowly, I got sicker, in general. Others noticed it more than I did. "You don't look so good..." or, "Your color isn't right..." I was too busy, being newly divorced, with a toddler, and working and going to school, and no insurance.....Big point, that one!  The pains were coming a little more frequently, and one day I knew something was just not right, and went to a doctor.  No history in my "SMALL" town, with any doctors, and no insurance, so had a hard time getting in to one at all. But, I did, and he told me I simply wasn't emptying my bowels properly, and all that he siad seemed to fit, so, every 4 to 5 months I would use suppositories, and I'd get through another one.  Well, things progressed....there are still doctors out there who give no respect to my illness at all.  What's that about? But, it happens.So, for 9 months, I had these pains that, at two a.m. were so bad I thought I was going to die, and so off to the E.R. I went....with my little "no-insurance" self.  And, home I came with Zantac and the diagnosis of and Ulcer.  So, for 3 months I watched what I ate, and took my Zantak, and went along pretty good, but my health was still quite poor.  But when you run as fast as you can, 25 1/2 hours a day, you en-able yourself to not see things that are happening.
Oh my goodness!  I am 33 and have been going through this kind of stuff for the last fifteen months. I can't believe everyone else is in the same boat! My digestion is improving  but it's not there yet, I've done everything from acidophillus to homeopathic drops to CAN tea.  Some things seem to help but nothing is ever consistently helpful and I am still not 100%.

I have had 2 gastroscopys and all sorts of blood tests, everything was normal except for one amylase reading which was at 157 when the range was 0-70.  I've had ultra, cat and mri scans, it appeared that my spleen was an odd shape but it seems that they think I was born that way.  I'm not sure as this is the sight of alot of my discomfort.  

The pain remains the same, around my left ribs, sharp stabbing stitch like sometimes, dull, uncomfortable and crowded at other times with pain radiating out towards my left shoulder blade and back and the hot water bottle helps at night.

I got some relief from taking colofec (anti spasmodic) in Januaary... it stopped me belching like a pig after 9 months of continual burping with no relief!

I recently went for a 24 hour halter monitor test to confirm that my heart was racing too fast and indeed it was.  Of course this all might be a different problem... they are thinking thyroid; I am thinking, I've had all this digestive stuff for all this time, perhaps it's linked.  

The most succinct description I can give of how I feel when it's just uncomfortable, is that all my organs in my left upper quadrant are rubbing on eachother, that everythign is not in the right place and sometimes (like others here have said, it itches on the inside, at it's worst, it felt to me like someone was running their splayed fingers down the inside of my rib cage, gently, but most uncomfortable).

So I am curious, has anyone else experienced palpitations with these symptoms?  

That is how my problem began, with one hell of a palpitation which has been variously diagnosed as suspected pancreatitis or suspected SVT (supra ventricular tachycardia... dodgy spelling, sorry)  Following this palpitation attack, the pain started with a bleeding, tearing feeling high under my left rib at the front.  I couldn't eat a sandwhich without bloating, and i BURPED all the time, every tme I ate, I felt like I was taking my life into my hands; when pain follows eating you do loose your appetite.

The doctor thought it was an ulcer and I took losec for three months before they got round to testing me for helicobacta - that was negative.

Since then I have had every kind of test.  I had complained of palpitations before, but they gave me an ecg and that was normal and then they gave me one under stress on a treadmill  and that was normal too, it took the 24 hour halter test to catch the racing heart that I have come to accept with all the other stuff that's going on.  

I have given up work, I'm exhausted and I don't know what else to do but keep plodding to the doctors and saying "still feel shocking"

Just thought that palpitation thing might ring a bell with other people, though quite possibly, I've just got more than one thing going on.

Looking forward to hearing more
Dawn Rose

Hi Dawn Rose -

I did experience the racing heart but I do believe that in my case it was directly related to all teh anxienty I was having about my undiagnosed pain.

I would defintely ask your Dr. about shingles without skin eruptions (known formally as "zoster sine herpete") and PHN (post-herpetic neuralgia - which can cause nerve pain for months/years following shingles.

I'm resting with that theory in  my case for now.

Good luck!

Carol D.
Rose, Has your doctor considered gallbladder problems?
I would like to know what the Doctors concluded with all these tests. Pleasse respond!
I have had a lot of the same things, but mind are all on the right side. I have been diagnose with having a fatty liver and now this other pain has started. I reacenty went to the dr's with this terrible itching that started. He gave me some medicine to put on, and it does help, but continues to itch if I don't put it on. I go to the dr's. today and hopefully he can help me.  My stomach looks like and has for a long time like I'm about 4 months along, but know it looks like I'm about 7 months!
Hi Jerzy,
    Sorry, I'm not going to be much help for you....I was just wanting to know what a gastrocopy is. I have an Assignment for school due in a few days and i can't find an explanation anywhere!
        Thanks A.Porter
Please write back to ***@****
I was told that I have severe gastritis. I have the same symptoms, and it drives me crazy. I can only lay on my back, but find a heating pad works great. The pain is localized under my left breast, and feels "colicly" I have diffuculty eating and sometimes drinking hurts it. I have started a diet and taking vitamins and mineral suppliments.  I am taking collodial silver, in small amounts (look it up, it is for healing) Also, I am
taking apricot seeds, see worldwithoutcancer.com I will check back from time to time to see how everyone is doing.

God Bless
If your doctor did not find any thing wrong.

Candida or yeast may be the cause to your stomach pains, problems etc.

Check out these links:

www.naturalhealthconsult.com/Monographs/oliveleaf.html
www.health-science.com/candida_albicans.htm
www.oliveleafextract.com/
www.eastparkresearch.com/main.html
I came across this site doing some research on my own.  I am amazed that someone/anyone has the same constellation of symptoms as mine.  Upper left quadrant pain/fullness, GERD, bouts of loose stools, palpitations.  Did anyone find a cause?  I would be most interested as I've been living with this for years but it is getting more difficult to manage as time goes on....
I'm 39 and I had the upper right quadrant pain for a few years (on and off) and it steadily became more frequent, more painful...finally I couldn't take it any longer and the doctor told me I had gallstones and should have my gallbladder romoved.  So this past June (2000), I had the Laproscopic surgery.  Things seemed fine for a month or so, but then I started experiencing those "pains in my side" again...(how could it be my gallbladder NOW, since I dont have one) and I've had virtually every other symptom described here....the bloating, gas-like pains, the feeling that my organs are being "tugged to one side"(I really thought this sounded crazy)...and for me (and maybe some of you other females out there)..I find my upper-right pain much more severe the closer it gets to my period...as if the bloating/swelling of that "normal" (if you can call it normal) is NOW affecting this surgery I have had...all I know is I didn't have THIS much pain when I had my two children (both c-section following induced labor that didn't work)

My husband is getting sick of me saying "my stomach/side hurts" but I'm sure you all can empathize how helpless and frustrated it makes you feel.  Admittedly, I haven't been back to the DR just yet (though I will be going soon)but I was wondering if it could be the build up of "scar tissue" or something similar that now is causing my pain?  Heaven knows, with 2 c-sections and a colestectomy, there's plenty of opportunity for there to be scar tissue. I wondered if any of you had heard that from your DR's?

Thanks for all the info. It helps to at least vent to "understanding"  ears.  :o)
I GET ABDOMINAL PAIN ONCE A WEEK ALONG WITH THE PAIN I ALSO GET FEVER AND CONSTIPATION THE PAIN WILL STAY WITH ME A DAY AND THE NEXT DAY I WILL BE BACK TO NORMAL AGAIN AND I WILL GET IT AGAIN WITHIN 7 TO 8 DAYS I HAVE HAD SEVERAL TEST DONE BUT THEY AL COME BACK AS NORMAL
Reading these posts sounds like my life. Two years ago the dr. found that I had the heli-bactor pylori bacteria. I was on two rounds of prevacid, amoxocillian and bioxin before it cleared up. The dr. has had me on prevacid ever since. Earlier this year I started to expericence the same abdominal pain and nausea but not much was done about it. I was told to increase the prevacid to to 30 mg. 2 x a day. My wife and I took a trip around the US this summer and the symptoms seems to let up some but always lurked in the backfround. An upper and lower GI tests had been done in the spring but nothing was found. Since coming home in August all of the problems have hit with a vengence. Nausea, vomiting, diarreha, pain from esophgus down to intestinal track, pain thru to the back. The prevacid was nce again increacesed to 2 times a day. A ct scan was done, ultrs sounds, colonoscpy (colitis and sever diverticulitis were found). The endoscope test showed eosinophilic gastritis. I was put on prednsione. Eneded up with elvated blood pressure and blood sugar. I was finally removed from that as it was not reliving the symtpoms. I have tried low fiber for the colitis, high fiber for the diverticultis. A month ago a blood test was finally done for gastrin levels......693.....normal is 0-42. I have been off of the prevacid for a month and just recently had gastrin level checked again but do not know results yet. So I continue to have nausea, vomiting, diarreha (have oily or greasy skim floating on top..this comes after two days of nausea). Bloating and back pain. Ideas anyone? Has anyone else had elvated gasrin levels?
Need answers. You can email me at ***@****
I have just read of many similar complaints from the many participants in this site. I can tell you folks that I had many of the exact complaints up until last feb when I demanded to see an infectious desease Dr. We ran a strong series of blood tests and "a stool test for microbes, parasites"). Guess what, parasite problems. When a parasite stays in your system for an extended period of time it reproduces and can ulcerate the intestinal wall as its population swells. Then it gets in your blood and goes right to the liver, brain, sometimes lungs, and if the liver gets infected enough, and your immune system is already weak......your gallbladder gets infected. It goes on from here.

I have found...after getting treated for the parasite......to get on an expanded vitamin diet including those that increase the helpfull secretions of the affected organs. I am doing very fine now.........and only have a few symptoms occasionally.

Light stuff comapred to before.

Hope this broadens your thinking.
I found what everyone said intersting.  My boyfriend is having pains on the left side and catscan, colonoscopy and blood tests all come back normal.  One thing we have oticed is it is wrose about 1-3 hours after eating.  Can anyone help?  The doctor's don't know wahat is wrong.  ***@****
I HAVE HAD VERY BAD SYMPTOMS OF PAIN IN MY LEFT SIDE BELOW LEFT RIB CAGE,DR,S SAID I HAD IBS AND GAS REFLEX DISEASE AND NOW I,M TAKING PREVACID FOR THIS AILMENT AT TIMES IT SEEMS LIKE IT,S WORKING OTHER TIMES NO .....I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HEARD THE STORYS ABOUT CHEMTRAILS.ABOUT THESE WHITE TRAILS UP IN THE SKY AFTER PLANES FLY OVER,I WAS TOLD THESE WHITE TAIL CLOUDS WHERE CHEMICALS AND,THAT THEY WHERE CAUSING PEOPLE ON THE GROUND AN ARRAY OF PROBLEMS..IF ANY ONE HAS HEARD OF THESE TRAILD PLEASE CONTACT ME.
Well i  am suffering from the same pain in the left side and is very sacary ,i still going to the doctors to get and answer,because i need to know for good if is somenthing that i can do to help my pain or is just stress like many doctors say,but i want answers and  if is stress , i need to know for sure ,so finally last week they're for the second time send me to make a urine test and they're found some blood   that they're didn't find in the first  time so i hope this give any answer and if it doesn't ,i guess i gonna try to get to another doctor and ask them to do more test and then if they're say is nothing then my mind can be in peace too.
Because i am very concern about this pain,but reading that i am not alone is better ,and i am so sorry that i can't not help more,but if you want to share more opinions i will appreciate.
My writting is not perfect because english is not my language ,but i am trying
Eliana,
I had exactly the same symptoms, but now I have started having GERD (chronic acid problem). My physician is stumped too, and I am at my wit's end looking for solutions. For those with GERD, here is a tip to reduce acid problems: Try rice + yogurt (nonfat). Yogurt is loaded with acidophilus and has lots of vitamins etc. Also, if you have a sweet tooth, try cinnamon rolls, bearclaws, etc (esp the ones from 7-eleven, as they say, "Oh thank heaven, seven-eleven"!).
I understand exactly how everyone here is feeling.  I am very frustrated and feeling a bit hopeless.  Mine all started 2 weeks after having my first child, almost 2 and a half years ago. I started having severe upper abdominal pain right between my rib cage radiating through to my upper middle to left back. At first the pain was maybe once a month, then in June I decided to have it checked out, so I had an upper GI which indicated I had multiple gallstones, so 2 weeks later I had my gallbladder removed. I started feeling better for about 3 weeks. I thought I was cured. Until my symptons started all over again, but worse.
I ended up geting admitted to the hospital for a week. During this long week they performed the ERCP procedure and it was unsuccessful, so the performed it a second time 2 days later,and they ended up doing a sphincterotamy. And I developed pancreatitis. After this was cleared up I felt good for about a month and a half. Now up to date I am experiencing alot of the same symptoms and new ones but more severe. I am scheduled for another ERCP in 2 days. Im not looking forward to do this again   but I know God will be right there with me, therefore my only advise is Don't give up on God, Really he's the only one with the answer.  God Bless, Nichole

i am 15 and I have allthe smpyomsit hurts horribly i don`t know what to do I thought I was pregnent but I found I wasen`t I only weigh 127 but I fell Like I way 900 Pounds Help
Hey Nichole -

My name is Tonya and I'm 30 years old.  I've had alot of the same problems you have.  PLease email at ***@**** and let me know how your ERCP was last week.  Maybe we can discuss this further.  

Thanks.
I wish we all had answers to these mysterious stomach ailments. I have had similiar weird symptoms for the past two months. The  upper left-mid pain gets set off by an episode of diarrhea. The pain feels colicky and like I"ve been punched in the stomach. Thereafter my stools are loose , and occasionally diarrheal. I take antacids (sparinglY) and pepcid ac. My doctor prescribed prevecid. One thing that really helps is pepto bismol, but it turns the stool black. It goes away for a week or ten days and then returns---diarrhea, stomach pain, loose stools. During the time I am well the stools are normal and I feel well. Does this ring a bell with anyone?
Ok here goes!  Pain under left rib, constant 8 months,
sudden frequent diarreah (diarrhea), constant ear ringing two years,
constant offbalance-two years, sore/stiff neck front and back-one year, joint aches, muscle weakness, heart flutters, difficulty swallowing.  Am I stressed out? Would you be?
I have seen quite a few on here with pain, which could at some point be diagnosed as stomach pain, taking ibuprofen.  If there is a possibility that you're pain originates in the stomach, I would recommend that you stop taking it!  It can irritate the stomach.  NSAID's can cause stomach problems.  Also, my doctor recommended that if you have heartburn (or GERD) no chocolate,
peppermint, smoking, alcohol, or fatty foods.  I really hate giving up chocolate.  :(

I have had upper right quadrant pain for about 6 months off and on, but not severe (except once.)  Not long after I started having massive amounts of heartburn, mild and occasional reflux and breakthrough heartburn even on zantec and pepcid. I had an equivocal test for H. Pylori, and a normal ultrasound. Yesterday I had an endoscopy (with a biopsy for H. Pylori) and was told I had mild inflammation in three places and the biopsy info. would take 2-3 days.  

I tend to have elevated liver enzymes on fasting for several years (but not bilirubin, nor have I been jaundiced.) I am tired a lot and have some arthritis like symptoms.  I've also been told I probably have IBS (which I don't dispute.)  I have tested positive for antinuclear antibodies, but a subsequent test came out normal. Sometimes I think I can deal with anything, if someone could please just tell me what's going on.  So... I can relate to that.  I wish you all the best.

--Melanie
Had a quedtion regarding Acidophilus. How much should you take and how long before you noticed improvement in the upper left quadrant pain?
Wow!  I can't believe how many people have the same symptoms I do.  I thought I was alone, and the doctors can't figure it out.  Obviously there is something.  I have had the left-sided pain off and on for years.  Have had all the tests, and nothing.  I get the yellow stools whenever this pain shows up.  I have been told that my spleen gets enlarged during these times; otherwise, I cannot relate it to anything!! I notice that most of us are women - could it be hormonally related?  Do any of you relate it to your periods?  The referral of pain to the shoulder is so common in pleurisy, and I've been told it is a form of that.  An inflammation of the lining of the pleura in that area.  Sometimes I do feel a "rub" like Velcro when I breathe in.  It is definitely worse on deep inspiration.  It also seems to be minimally relieved with bowel movements.  What I've found that helps:  Bactrim DS has cleared this up many times.  Don't ask me why.  The doctors don't understand it either.  I've also found that drinking Mullein tea eases the pain.  This is for lung inflammation, so maybe the pleurisy thought is not too far off.  Hope this helps someone.  It's just nice to know I'm not alone (although I'm sorry you all have this annoying, frustrating pain too)!  -Kim-
I woke up this morning and was doubled over from pain in my left side just under my rib cage. I could not take a deep breath or complete a yawn. When I tried to do either it would set off a spasm-like pain in my side so bad I had to hold on to something to remain standing. This was the first time this had happened so I set off to find out what is going on. I started with my very old and outdated medical encyclopia. Settled on Carcinoid syndrone and begin to research. Came across problems that I have that I would never have associated with the pain in my side. Was wondering if any of you had any of the following problems and what we might have in common.

Recent problems are what appears to be arthritis with red swollen joints in my fingers. Actually both my hands swell all over. Small hard BB-like lumps appear at the joints. My spine and neck also become painful. My neck snaps and cracks when I move my head around. Constant ringing in my ears. Sudden red itchy blotches appear on my face, eyes, neck and chest. There appears to be swelling across my eyes and cheeks. Also a two by three inch section of my scalp (top of head to the right)became swollen. The scalp would become unbearably itchy and when I started to scratch the area I could feel the hair raised up in that section, the scalp would be mushy and too sore to scratch. It would get worse as the day wore on and deminish overnight. This lasted about a week. Off and on the sides of my hands and feet become very itchy. Had about a week of chills but when I took my temperature it was always low. Between 97.6 and 98.0 degrees. Had a physical was given antibiotics for a bladder infection. Now today this pain in my side. It is still there.

Now I would like to know how much we all have in common.
I am an almost 59 year old, 230lb. female. Am married and have three adult children. I have gone through menopause and did not take hormone replacement. Take medication for high blood pressure. Had a deseased thyroid at age 35 and have been on thyroxine ever since. Had my appendex out as a child. My job is in an accounting department and I do not get much exercise. Smoked cigarettes for 30 years but quit 15 years ago. Have red wine with most of my dinners but not every day. Have been trying to become a vegetarian in the last few months but still have meat once or twice a week.

u cant believe how relieved i felt when i came across this site. I thought i was the only one with these symptomes. although diagnosing doesnt look promising from the looks of these letters! i have been having pain beneath my ribs for about 5 years now. no heartburn , like actual stomach acid regergitating, but a burning sensation from the left all the way to the right when i roll over. No sharp pains,  just gas and it builds up and i have to sit up to relieve the pressure. i get p.v.c.'s and bouts of high blood pressure with attacks. had upper gi and several other tests , all negative,  i finally gave up.
Amazing...

Well, let me join the club...

Have had upper left quadrant abdominal pain for over 12 years..

Developed it after I developed a strange flu like illness that put me down for a couple of weeks..(thought I was going to die it was so bad..lost 15 lbs....sleeping 12+ hrs a day....hot and cold flashes, extreme fatigue, etc.)

Ever since that illness, I have had some level of left quad abdominal pain, sometimes very strong pains, other times moderate but exist pretty much all the time..

Yep..worse 1-2 hours after eating (most of the time)...when fasting totally the pain is better...sometimes I accidently eat something that almost makes the pain go away...but it is not predictable or real repeatable...pressing in that area seems to help releive the pain a bit also..

Let's add moderately hypertensive (I think related to the pain...)

And now for the grand finale,  PVCs and heart palps also...

Like everyone...had all the tests upper GI, Cat scan, Colonoscopy, etc,.etc....all basically normal...

No real diagnosis...Docs say..."everything is fine so you should feel good about it, right??"

Anyway, If anyone has any good ideas I would love to hear them...will answer questions if you need to know more..

I recently had gallbladder surgery in Jan of this year . it has been 6weeks and  truly, I wish I had not had this surgery, as I have had more problems since this surgery than I did before. My doctor just seems like he's stumped every time I mention that I'm having pain in my back between my left shoulder blade down my left arm. I can tell when this attack is coming on as I will get a very hungry feeling in my stomach then pressure up my chest into my back and down my left arm. We have ruled out heart as this seems to come on 30 minutes to 3 hrs after eating. But sometimes if I turn a certain way or am stressed it will come on. I am on prevacid twice a day and a stomach sedative before meals. It helps the acid but not the pain . Help!! Jean
I also seem to be in a similar boat to everyone else....
Here's a brief history .. :

(I realise that some of this may be irrelevant, but I'll put it down anyway)

I am a 22 year old male, have had echzema all my life and work in a normal office environment..

Shortly before xmas 1999 I experienced a bizarre thrush-like problem on my genitals.. It lasted a week or so and then disappeared..  Then on millenium new years eve I suffered pain
in my lower back on both sides of my spine (Kidneys I presume)..
The pain was so bad I couldn't sit down, but the strange thing is that I only drunk about two pints of beer that night, so it wasn't due to excessive alchohol intake. Since then I have had intermittant kidney pains and in the last few months they have become somewhat permanent.. I have also suffered from attacks similar to the ones described by other posters (I had one at night where I woke up and had difficulty breathing because (I presume) My liver was enlarged)...

When my condition gets worse, I sometimes burp a lot and get pains in all kinds of places.. I have had very similar back pains to those previously mentioned.. (It kind of felt like something was pusing on my spine).. My stools are a normal brown colour, but I have noticed that recently they've got a slight bronzy tint to them and leave behind a definate yellow colour on toilet paper..

The main reason for me first visiting the doctor. however, was because my skin on my arms keeps getting infected.. It comes and goes and never gets THAT bad, but the fact that it happens is bad enough.. I've had skin infections since I was about 15, but now they seem to come in a strange pattern.

My skin gets red around my armpits, all the way down my arms, hands etc.. But the most bizarre thing (which I have NEVER suffered from before) is that the skin on my neck (all the way round) gets increadibly painful.. It literally feels like it's on fire !! This only happens at night and gets better once I apply water to it and moisterising cream.. On top of all this, over the last few months, my skin just seems to fall off in massive amounts (only on the affected areas).. This sometimes is so bad that when I wake up my bed is literally covered in tiny skin particles..  I told my doctor about this and she just said
"Oh, your skin must be too dry" she then looked at my skin and said "Oh, it isn't !!"..... At first I thought it was a buildup of dustmites in my bed..(At this point I was getting HUGE red patches on my shoulders that burnt like hell) So I got a new bed !! This sorted out the patches, but I am left with the neck and arms problems..

I have had (in the last 4 months) two blood tests. Both of which reported a higher than normal level of biliruben. The second one was lower than the first (with about a 2 month gap in between).. My doctor seemed to think that because the level had dropped it wasn't too serious.. (I, on the other hand, think that the level simply fluctuates).. I then had an ultrasound on my kidneys which was OK... I am now awaiting an oppointment for a liver ultrasound check and another blood test.. I also have an appointment with a dermatologist in July !! (JULY !!! What F**kin use is that??? hg hmm.. A..nnyway !)..

The final thing I can think of is that now, I cannot seem to drink any alchohol without my skin getting very itchy.. It goes very white and very red in patches (mainly on my forearms and hands)..

I realise that there's no simple answer to this, but why oh why is there no-one out there trying to sort this out ??
Is no-one doing any research ? or is it just a case of specific doctor's not having the right knowledge/experience ??

Finally, On a lighter note (Or darker, depending on your perspective).. I went to see my doctor last week (I should point out that I don't actually have a GP as such, the NHS lost all my medical records !! Wonderful) and she said "If the liver scan is normal there's nothing more we can do!! You'll probably need to go see a homeopath !" ehhhhhh  ??? How the F*** can she say that ?? I've had two tests and some blood tests and that's the end of it ?? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!

I guess what I'm really asking of this list is :

Has anyone else experienced similar skin problems to me ??
Does anyone have any advice ???

Thanks a lot for everyone's time in reading this excessive post :)

Nick.
P.S. Does anyone have any advice as to which route I should take to get a diagnosis ??? i.e. Which type of specialist would provide the best insight ??

cheers,

Nick
p.p.s. On top of all that, I also forgot to mention that the areas of skin on my back (where my kidney pains are) are absolutely ice cold.. If I get in a hot bath, the pain subsides a little.. My mum reckons that is a sign of a kidney infection..
Is this true ?
Wow! I can't believe I found people who experience this same pain. Let me share. I'm a healthy 34 year old woman who had an "attack" like this one night a couple of years ago. I had just finished eating a cheese sandwhich. I thought I was having a heart attack. I couldn't breathe, was gasping for air, vomiting and on the way to the ER I almost kicked my boyfriend's windshield out of his car I was in such pain. When I got to the ER they immediately started an IV and in less than 5 minutes I hadn't even noticed the pain just stopped.It ws a Tagamet drip running through the IV. The Dr. came in and just smiled. He said this was normal for women my age, race (African American), and who were slightly overweight (about 15 lbs) to experience gallbladder problems. Although I had an xray he was reluctant to taking it out. His suggestion was for me to lose weight, lay off the cheese and dairy, start moving out of my sedentary lifestyle and to take  Tagamet at the very beginning of any symptoms and it should go away. He was right. For 2 years I did well and didn't have one reaccurance. Now unfortunately, I'm overweight again and you guessed it, the attacks are back. Now I'm exercising again and watching my diet a little more carefully. One common thread I noticed are a lot of posts here say they are vegetarians. I'm wondering if any of you are heavy on the cheese and dairy type vegans? I think this is a huge culprit just like being overweight. I hope I've helped someone out there, because I experienced that excruciating pain. Bless you all!
I'm glad to feel some company though i
have great compassion for all my fellow sufferers.
What else do we all have in common? I have been a compulsive
overeater for as long as i can remember. I binge on sugars,
starches and of course fats. Now i know overeating can
lead to fatigue and disfunction of all the digestive organs
but i rekon there could be a chicken and egg effect if i had/have parasites, candida etc.   I am involved in counseling to try
to resolve the emotional roots of my addictive eating....but i too wish i could find a doctor who could help me get some definative diagnosis and treatment for my symptoms. What ever happened with Lela whose son had the Sphyncter of Oddi cut? Did the dr. ever write a paper on that case?  I'm going for all the tests this week..CT scan, Ultrasound, GI series...but after reading on this board i expect no new news.  Any other folks with eating disorders manifesting these symptoms out there?
I am a 45-year-old male. I also have had a feeling of "presence" or pressure in the upper left quadrant of my abdominal region. A little over five months ago I found myself in the emergency room with a kidney infection. The infection cleared up with antibiotics. However, I have had this pressure since then. Also, my stool has been lighter in color - sort of yellowish brown - and there have been small undigested particles of food in the feces. The stool is also sticky. It does not float, but it does seem sort of greasy. When I take large doses of acidophilis (sp.?) the stool is a darker brown. I have developed lengthwise lines or ridges in the fingernails. My guess is that I am beginning to suffer from malabsorbsion. I am fatigued. I wonder if I am suffering from cancer of the pancreas. I have tried to stay away from gluten and dairy products for the past two weeks, but the symptoms have not cleared up. Has anyone out there been through this who can help me understand what is going on?
Hi all  hopefully i wont feel so crazy knowing all you people have the same problems.  1ST OF ALL JERZEY gall bladder is on the right so if your pain is left sided  look for other answers.  I'm 32  have suffered stomach problems my whole life. Stay awake most  nights in so much pain. Had my gall bladder removed at 22 (which i'm told is young for those kinds of problems- gall stones) but syptoms (symptoms) never really improved  severe abdominal pain  left sided near ribs mostly but sometimes it seems to be right in the middle by belly button. My bowels are never right either i'm constipated or i have diarherra.I suffer from nausea  daily. @ yrs ago with through  upper & lower gi series  lots of bloodwork and finally an endoscopy. The endoscopy showed what the dr called acute chronic gastritis and explained that my stomach doesnt empty properly also said  the problem with bowels "could be"irritable bowel syndrome. Been taking Prilosec and varying doses of reglan for 2 yrs with little to no relief ( although reglan only med that helps nausea even a little ) back in Feb  so bad ended up in er had been vomitting for hrs tried to explain my history with my stomach they told me it was the flu and sent me home. saw my internist later that same week and he ordered an abdominal catscan and more bloodwork. They came back normal so he stuck with original diagnosis. So i finally went for 2nd opinion. This doctor seems to think i have gastroparesis and ordered a stomach emptying test.I'll have the results in a few days. In the meantime i cant find  any info that explains the difference between the 2 (gastritis & gastroparesis) They are both stomach ailments which have to do with the stomach emptying and they are both treated with reglan  so i'm at my wits end.
I am sitting here in awe that someone has the same symptoms as my self, I have been dealing with Pain on my left side below my rib cage for almost 2 years, the pain circles around my rib cage under my arm, radiating into the back, I also experience pain in my left arm and center of my chest almost all the time. There is however a variation in severity. I left work today after having a spell which has the symptoms of a Heart Attack. I am a 26 Yr old Female. I have had all sorts of tests. My doctor thinks I am a Hypocondriac. Today I am also experiencing horrible gas pains. I am currently seeing a chiropractor who says that the pain is due to a rib slipping out of place and since I already have digestive problems inflamation (inflammation) of the stomach and other areas push on the rib causing this pain, the pain has lessened itself until today. I would love to put a name to this....PLEASE HELP!
I am a 21 yr. old female and i am somewhat overweight.  the other night, after eating dinner, i experienced a strange pain.  at first the pain was mild, but irritating, then the pain got worse and i told my boyfriend that i thought i have food poisoning and to call my mom immediately.  by the time she got there, the pain had become so bad, that i thought i was having a heart attack.  i was experiencing pain under my sternum(right under and in line with my breasts)as well did it feel on the left and kinda the right.  i began to get short of breath along with the stabbing pain and pressure.  because i was short of breath, i became really upset and started to hyperventalate.  my parents rushed me to the ER.  when i got there, the tiog nurse took my BP(144/80...normal for me) and i was running a fever of 100.2(extremely rare for me b/c i always run below normal) when the pain went away, it seemed to slowly ease off and the nausea set in more than it was before.  of coarse, i couldn't vomit.  the doc said my urine test was fine, but some of my liver counts were abnormal.  he felt sure it was gall stones.  i had an ultrasound the next day which showed nothing.....  well, the hepatitis tests were negative too.....i'm going to the doc today and feeling really discouraged about it b/c of responces i have had from him in the past...as i see some of you are too!  i'm the kind of person who has constipation all the time, but lately....i have been having loose stools( light or yellow-brown in color)in fact during my "attack" i was upset on my stomach and having loose stools.  i know how it is to go to the doc and have him think you are crazy.  off and on, for over a year, i have been having UTI symptoms 1 or 2 times a month.  only, nothing shows up on tests or cultures. out of this year, i had been 5 times and NOTHING, no bacteria, NOTHING...yeah right!  i guess the burning and pain was all in my head! i went to a urologist and he scoped my bladder, diagnosing me with chronic cystitis....(from having an infection for a year) FRUSTRATING!!!  anyone have any idea or wanna chat with me, IM me or e-mail me with ideas.
***@****
I cannot believe how many people are suffering from the same pain and there isn't any clear answer as to why. Stress could be a contributing factor, but PAIN is real. I am a 46 yr old female who has had stomach problems in the past. I recently was diagnosed with GERD which I do not experience heart burn, but acute acid larangitis; a hital hernia (which I am told does not cause the pain in the upper left abdomen). I have had the upper GI; upper endoscopy; sonogram and now my gastro spec wants me to have a small bowell series & if this is negative as all the others, go to a surgeon. He advised me that the surgeon would do an exploratory to try to figure out what may be going on. Surgery is pretty serious if you ask me - has anyone been given this advice from their doctor? Sorry, but glad to read that I am not along with this mysterious pain. Thanks
Well I assumed I had a peptic ulcer for years. The pain used to go with Zantac, for a while. But now I have a pain that moves from the left ribs to the left upper back. Sometimes it feels like there is something in my left sholuder area or back, something that catches, even a bit spiky. I have been horified it could be radiating from some kind of pancreas cancer (with no evidence for that of course), and have not felt able to write it off just as IBS or something. But this forum is reassuring- at least none of us have reported back with any nasty diagnoses. If I ever find out anything I'll let you know.
I can't believe I stumbled upon this site through the Internet.  I have spent the last half hour reading all your comments and it is nice to know I am not the only one suffering from these symptoms. I have exactly what all of you are explaining here. I have had left upper quadrant pain radiating around to under my should blade with ocassional nausea and palpations. I mostly experience the pain though on a daily basis varying in the sharpness.  I, too, have had every test in the book. I had a CT Scan a few days ago and tonite when I got home I had a message from my doctor saying they want to see me to discuss my test and order further testing.  I can't image what it could be but I am scared and anxious to find out. I have had these symptoms for the last 13 months. I am 33 years old and do not drink or smoke. I am in good health but am really tired of living with this pain and to be told my test are normal when I still do not feel like myself. I, too, have been placed on Prilosec with no relief. Not only do I have the left sided pain but terrible gas and bloating on a daily basis no matter what I eat.  I hope to talk to my doctor tomorrow and I will definitely let all of you know what I find out. Who knows - it may be something that could help all of you too.
I've had the same problem for a few years of bloating, lots of gas, constipation/loose stools alternatively, pain in ULQ under the ribs. Went to some docs and they found nothing.

I read through the posts on this thread and another website and decided to try a home treatment for candida yeast overgrowth in the colon. It seems to have helped so I wanted to pass it on - some of it has been mentioned already. I use a herbal candida remedy from the health food store that contains caprylic acid (there are also stronger prescription medicines for this), psyllium husks w/water and a probiotic of acidophilis and bifido bacterium (acidoph. is for small intestine, bifido is for large intestine - where the problem really is).

The idea is you're killing/ retarding the yeast growth in your colon with the fungicide, pushing it out with the psyllium and replenishing the the colon with good bacteria which keep the yeast down.  You may have to alter your diet as well.

At first I started with just the probiotics, but found that the combo of all three worked best. The fungicide stopped the gas almost immediately.

If you lookup candida on the web you will find that it can cause lots of other symptoms as well as affect your liver. This worked for me anyway. Hope it helps someone out there. Good luck!

A related discussion, abdominal pain was started.
A related discussion, Upper Abdominal Spasms was started.
I am actually going thru this problem right now.....the pain under/by my left and right rib cage comes and goes, I feel it in my back too! I has a ct scan done and it was all normal. I am very scared and having a endoscopy and a colonoscopy performed. Hope is all good!