Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
pain in lower right side

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

pain in lower right side

I have frequent discomfort and or pain in the lower right side of my abdomen.  It feels like something is being squeezed like a hernia (I had one many years ago)and sometimes I feel a sharp pinch.  I also feel some swelling in the groin area where it joins the thigh.  There is often accompanying discomfort in the lower back on right side.  Sometimes I also feel a pinch-like pain in my right thigh.  This condition is worse after diarrhea.  I have had 2 colonoscopies because of this problem but nothing showed up.  The pain/discomfort goes away occasionally when my bowel is empty (which is extremely rare) which is probably why the colonoscopies will not show up anything.  I have had chronic bowel problems for many years which I suspect has lead to this condition.  When the discomfort is severe, I cannot tolerate pants so I have to walk around in my nightgown and am housebound.  I usually have a lot of gas (I can hear loud rumbling in my gut) and I can feel it in the groin area where there is swelling;  I seem to have gas up to my ribs.  However I do not pass gas very often.  (I take digest enzymes when I eat gassy foods).  I've been feeling this way for a few years and when there is swelling (feels like a lump) it worries me.  I also have a hard time sitting down because the pain/discomfort is much worse at this time.   I would like to know what my problem could be, what to do about it and should I be concerned when I get the swelling and extreme discomfort?
Lower right-sided pain can be caused by diseases of the appendix, irritable bowel syndrome, inflammatory bowel disease, kidney disease or a hernia.  

For further evaluation, you can evaluate the appendix with a CT scan.  The small bowel should also be evaluated - likely with a small bowel series.  A surgery referral or CT scan/ultrasound of the groin region can determine whether a hernia is present.

If the tests continue to be negative, you can look at the kidneys.  Occasionally, kidney diseases can have pain radiating to the right lower quadrant.  A kidney ultrasound or CT scan would be reasonable if this option is considered.

If the tests remain non-revealing, you can consider treatment for irritable bowel syndrome (i.e. with anti-spasmodic agents).

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
That sounds very like the pain I have.

I have had it for about 3 years now and have had colonoscopy, CT scan and various blood tests which have all come back negative.
I was told that there was nothing else they could do and that I would have to live with it. I find this to be a bad and unacceptable answer! especially since the pain is now back and worse than ever and is really bad when I sit down.
I am going to go to a natural medicines doctor to see if he can come up with something.
I have the same symptoms.  I have had pain for the last five years that occur once or twice a year.  But for the past month, the pain has intesified and will not go away.  It usually feels like a dull ache and then occasionally flairs up with a sharp pain.  I have had diarrhea for three weeks.  My doctor has ruled out the appendix and irritable bowel syndrome.  

I have had two CT scans - both negative and a sonogram of the lower right pelvic that was normal.  My doctor is not sure what is causing the pain.  He gave me a referral to GYN thinking that is it something with the "female" organs.  The pain is worse when I have my menstrual cycle (whether or not my bowels are empty or full).

If anyone has any ideas, please share...
A related discussion, kidney stones was started.
A related discussion, swollen stomach was started.
A related discussion, acke in right side was started.