Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
pain in stomach(?) and through to back

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

pain in stomach(?) and through to back

I recently went to the hopital for pain I was having in the area of my stomach that also hurt into my back.  I was having chills as well, but do not know if I had a fever.  The ER doctor had me have an ultrasound of the gall bladder that came up with nothing.  He prescribed some pepcid and gave me a referral to a GI doctor.  I have also been having pain around my kidneys.  A urinalysis dip test came up positive, but he said that under the microscope they found nothing.  I haven't seen the GI Dr. yet because of my insurance situation.  I will see him in January.  The pain in my stomach was very severe when I went to the ER.  It is not severe now, but is more of an ache.  Anyone have any ideas as to what this could be?  I am still having bowel movements, but not on a regular schedule like I used to.  Thanks for any help or ideas you can offer.

Malayna
Hi Malayna - When you see the GI doctor you might want to ask him if you could possibly have Pancreatitis.  I have recently been treated for that and the pain was exactly where you described.  There is blood work that he can do along with a CT Scan of your abdomen.  I wish you the best of luck.  Take care and Happy Holidays!
I agree with Baseball Mom, sounds like it could have been pancreatitis. Good luck.
Thanks for the recommendations.  I previously read up on pancreatitis and its symptoms and thought that it could be the problem.  I'm wondering though, the ER doctor prescribed some pepcid.  I've been taking that, and it seemed to help at first, but the last couple of days, I've had aching type pain in the same area that I had the severe pain.  Is there anything in particular that aggravates pancreatitis?  I don't want to keep doing something I shouldn't be doing.  Thanks again!

Malayna
Fatty, greasy, or spicy foods can aggrevate Pancreatitis.  When I was diagnosed with Acute Pancreatitis I was on a CLEAR LIQUID diet for two weeks.  If you find out you do have Pancreatitis you might want to ask your doctor about digestive enzymes. Although it doesn't take the pain completely away, the pain is much more tolerable.  Best of luck to you and Happy Holidays!
I have had this type of pain on and off for 9 years.  It started when I was pregnant with my first child at the age of 17.  Right after she was born, within a month, I had a really bad attack, that left me throwing up from the pain being so severe.  I went to a gastroenterologist and they did an ultrasound and I believe that I also had an endoscopy done at that time.  I had gallstones and so they removed my gallbladder.  A few months later, I got the pain back and had to go to the E.R. room one night and they couldn't find anything wrong with me. I had another endoscopy that showed I had a small red irritation in the bottom of my stomach, but the doctor told me it was nothing.  I have had subsequent problems and been to different doctors. I was at first diagnosed with acid reflux and put on prilosec. That didn't seem to help. I also raised the head of my bed about six inches and tried to avoid caffeine, spicy, etc..  These didn't seem to work because I would still get an occasional attack. I was given the blood test to see if I had the hyperboli (don't know if I spelled it right) bacteria that is usually present with an ulcer and that was negative so the doctor wouldn't do another endoscopy and and said basically that it was stress causing it and there was nothing I could really do.  I just recently had three really bad attacks in one night.  I hadn't eaten anything all day, except for chicken noodle soup, crackers, and a cappacino cooler, made with milk.  My pain started around 9:30 p.m and I hadn't had anything for at least 4:00 hours.  The pain is just below my ribcage, high up in my stomach.  It is like a burning, squeezing, kind of pain that radiates throught to the back and takes your breath away.  The only thing that will occasionally help it is a glass of milk or eating some bread.  I usually have a lot of air in my stomach after the pain subsides and then have to burp a lot.  I have been doing some research on the internet and have found these symptoms to be typical of either gastritus or a peptic ulcer.  Also somebody told me to ask the doctor about a hiatal hernia.  The pain for that is in about the same place.  Hope this may help you.