Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
pain in the tail bone?? not sure what...

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I am a 46 yr old woman..have had Chrones for 19 yrs and gone thru many changes, cronic (chronic) diarrhea to currently cronic (chronic) constapation, so severe at times that I am in agony trying to go. Even suppositories dont help, usually move my bowels about once a week.

Mainly my question is that lately, aside from the arthritic pain i may have in legs, arms and other areas at times i have a terrible pain after sitting, my bottom hurts so painfully that people wonder what is wrong with me when I stand, it hurts worse to get up, after being up for a few minutes the pain subsides. But, i almost dont want to sit anymore because of the pain. What can this be? Related to the Chrones? , Constipation? Hemmroids?
I have no insurance so am not under a regular drs care and dont know if this is something I should be concerned about. The last dr I saw was not very concerned about the constipation, after doing a colonoscopy he did say the disease was in the colon area, so can this all be related to what i feel when sitting and the constipation???

any suggestions?

Thank you
Misterie
I'm not sure what the pain in your tailbone would be but I might have a suggestion for the constipation.  Have you tried taking Metamucil or Citricel or any other over the counter fiber stuff?  I would highly recommend you do that as well as drink plenty of water.  And if your stools are very hard you might want to try Colace which is a stool softner also available over the counter.  I'm not too familiar with Chrones disease, so sorry I dont' have better answers for you.  I think you would know if it was hemmrhoids because you would hurt after a BM, especially when you have such a hard time going.  Hopefully I have been of some help to you.  Have a GREAT day!
Hi, I have a friend who has Crohn's and she has a ton of problems.  You may be interested in the last paragraph.  I hope this information is of some use to you.  Let us know how your are doing.  Good Luck!

What are the symptoms of Crohn's Disease ?
The terminal ileum is commonly involved in Crohn's disease. Since the terminal ileum is located adjacent the appendix, right-sided abdominal pain and tenderness mimicking appendicitis is common. The pain of Crohn's disease can also be crampy in nature, and may reflect bowel obstruction.

Diarrhea is also common. Diarrhea may be a result of a partial bowel obstruction, excessive growth of bacteria in the small bowel, poor absorption of nutrients and bile acids and inflammation of the large intestine. The diarrhea may be bloody and associated with abdominal pain and cramps. Rectal bleeding and bloody diarrhea are common. While massive bleeding (hemorrhage) from Crohn's ulcer is rare, it can occur.

Diseases affecting the anus are common. Up to one third of patients with Crohn's disease may have diseases involving the anal area. Anal diseases include tears of the anal tissue (fissures), infections (abscesses) adjacent to the anus and draining abnormal passages or tubes (fistulae) between the inside of the anus and the surrounding skin.

Is it a sharp pain when you stand up?
Did you by chance fall years ago and land on that area?
I fell on my tailbone area and eight years later I started to get sharp pains from my tailbone and my back was getting really sore after sitting for a period of time. It turned out that the fall I took years ago had somehow bent the very tip of my tailbone in and stretched the ligaments attached to my tailbone so I went to physio therapy and learnt some strenghtening excercises that I had to perform 15min a day and in 3 months it was 100% better.
If you want to try them I will tell you what they are.
im not too familar with chrons but i have a lot of your symptoms and with me the pain in my back wasnt related at all to my stomach, i had a minor case of scoliosis, its such a small curve that its really hard for the doctor to notice, its only like 3 degrees but its enough to put pressure on my botton and tailbone area, its quite painful and the only way i can explain it is like a dull painful constant cramping sensation going from the top of my tail bone all the way down my ( excuse the word) crack. but i did physical therepy awhile back to strengthen the muscles and that helped it a lot. I think also if u have a gastric problem, atleast this is my hypothesis for myself, you dont feel good a lot so u lay in bed a lot, when u do this the muscles of the body and an important group the muscles of the back weaken due to lack of exercise and stuff. and when u do get around u get pain throughout the entire body as well as the back, I just started working and i feel like someone took a beat me with a stick all over my body, and its not any strenious work, im a cashier, its just a change, moving around more. but sitting especially if u slouch put a lot of pressure on the back and causes pain  so i would first try sitting up straight it wil.l hurt more first then it will get better if not ask your doctor for some back strengthening exercises, they are really easy to do.

best of luck,
kim
***@****
emotions327 on here
A related discussion, PAIN WHEN I SIT! was started.