Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
pain in upper right and left quadrent after eating

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

hello i was wondering what could my problem be.  whenever i eat tothe point that i am actually full i develope a cramping sinsation in mu urq just below my ribs and fill very blotted depending on what i eat i may also have a sudden urge to go and a lot of loose sstool to o. i also have a problem with pain in my ulg as well just below my ribs almost at my zyfroid proccess. i do drink a lot of caffinated drinls mainly pepsi. and it has gotten to where when i drink them i end up with a burning sensation in my throat and indigestion. does anyone hav any ideas
i have the same problem , has the doctor given you any suggestions on what it could be?
does the pain go to your back?
yes i do get pain in my back but i do not know if it is related i know that i cant eat much atall with out hurting later i have no idea what is wrong
You should go onto RealAge.com.  They have a test that is really helpful to diagnose heartburn symptoms - it helped me determine whether I needed to go see a doctor or not.

Try it out! I hope you feel better.

Jennifer
i have most of the pain in my back and it feels like labour pains
my doctor is sending me for a scan this week to se if it is gallstones
are you having a ultra sound?  i am still suffering but am afraid and cant really aford to see a dr.  did he suggest any meds that might help that are over the counter?  good luck with the scan:)
yes first he thought it was heart burn and gave me rennie (which is for heartburn)
but the pain is so severe now that i am on the floor with my knees up to me tummy in agony.
i will let you know the outcome of the scan.
do you find it is when you eat fatty foods?
ya fatty or greasy foods do seam to agrovate it.  so i try not to eat a lot off them but that is the group that taste so good.  and spicy food really gives me fun it will have me making multiple runs to the restroom  and really bad gas.
when i spit there is blood in my saliva  i drink a lot
please answer the question
try to cutt pack you may have burnt your throught
the sphicter at the top of your stomach may not be closing
try Pepcid AC which works best or Tums which help some.  It helps me get rid of the pain. It will still come back but you keep using the Pepcid AC or Tums.  Let me know if it works for you.  You may have an ulcer or you may not.  I have seen 3 different doctors who don't know much so you have to do the research yourself and ask friends and such, got be your own doctor sometimes.
Hi ,
i had those same problems,  turned out i had duodenal ulcers and which kept my stomach inflamed and caused my gall bladder to be inflamed.   lots of good med to keep it undercontrol. unfortuneatly i don't listen very well, and slacked of from my meds, and i'm sick again.  ALSO NO, FATTY FOODS, CAFFIENE, SMOKING(WHICH I DIDN'T SMOKE ANYWAY)
AND NO ALCOHOL!     GEE , WHATS LEFT IN LIFE, LOL.

GOOD LUCK, SEE A DOCTOR RIGHT AWAY
Has your doctor mentioned anything about irrital bowel syndrome or GERD (gastro reflux)?  You might want to browse the internet on these subjects, and see if anything fits your symptoms. I am currently having excessive indigestion after I eat, pain in the urq, (the gall bladder resides in this area).  I have had trouble with alternating diarreha and constipation lately.  The doctors feel that it is gall bladder related, and I might have to have it removed.  I will be getting an ultrasound and a upper GI. Good luck to you!
Everything i eat or drink blots me,i have cirrosis (cirrhosis).I have not had a drink of alcohol in one year and on prescribed medication.What can i do to stop the blotting?
It sounds exactly what put me in the hospital...your gallbladder.  It sends referred pain when you eat, especially greasy/fatty foods.  You could also have a blocked bile or pancreatic duct.  It controls the release of bile to help digest your food.  If it gets blocked, it is excruciating......I've had five procedures......not too bad....the gallbladder pain is much worse.  Hang in there...
i have aconstant pain,preddure under my rib cage on my upper right side. i get some nauseau and before when this happened when i threw up i felt better. when this pain hits i can not lay down because there is pressure in the front and back. wheni sit up it puts the presure under my ribs onthe right side and it feels like a knot under my ribs
I was having the pain under the ribs and the cramping and big pressure on my chest when I ate also. My Dr gave up, sent me to a surgeon, who did lots of tests on the colon and gallbladder which were all negative (and unpleasant). He gave me a new drug, Aciphex for GERD, basically. Now I eat one every AM and hardly any problem at all. The downside is they are about $100 for a 30 day supply. Ask your Dr's about this if your tests are negative. It's a godsend for me....................
I have had ulq pain off and on for 7 years now.  I have seen three doctors who diagnosed it as IBS.  It feels suspiciously like some kind of injury, and I wonder if it is an ulcer than becomes infected or inflamed from time to time.  None of the doctors have even recommended tests.  It is greatly relieved by food.  I notice it in the Spring when I try to take off weight to fit into that size 8 suit!

Anyone else have any comments on ulq pain?
Whatever you do don't settle for half the answers.  I have been
sick for 6 mos.  Pain on right side into my back, severe nausea and sometimes vomitting.  My docotor told me that there was nothing wrong with me because nothing showed up on a test or
ultrasound.  Finally got in to see a gastro dr.  Within minutes
he had a diagnosis for my problem and sent me in for an ERCP
test.  That is to test the gullbladder (gallbladder).  Sure enough I had stones
in my gull bladder and now I am going to have it out.  Just because an ultra sound doesn't show anything doesn't mean there
isn't anything wrong.  Hope you feel better soon.
Hi Joanna,

I suffered with chronic and acute pancreatitis pain for years.  My pain usually started approx. 1/2-1 hour after eating and bloating was also a symptom.  Try cutting down on fats - I mean really down to 30 mg. a day.  I have written a story about my experiences if you care to read it you will have to type in the address:

www.insulin-free.org/stories/rebello.htm

It's a start.  Question your doctor to check your pancreas.  The pain does go under both rib cages and radiates to the back sometimes also.

Good Luck and don't hesitate to write back.

Sue    ***@****
This may sound like a strange question, but are you lactose intolerant?  Do you have gas after consuming dairy? An excess acid condition could be the problem. If you have had a test for the ulcer causing bacteria, and it was negative, I would suspect the acid condition. Try a Pepsid before each meal, NO CAFFEINE, no chocolate, less greasy fatty foods, SMALLER MEALS. Fiber suppliments can't hurt.  If the pain goes away after all this, you should try to stick to that diet, but you may always have to take a pepsid when you eat lasagna etc. I had this condition and now I am pain free. I may take 1 pepsid every once in a while, but have had no real pain since I changed my eating habits.
Just a thought along the lines of the pancreatitis (Something I am experiencing). Caffine can effect this, caffine can rise your triglycerides ( if I remember right).
Also, with the fatty foods, can effect your pancrease. Same with gall stones. Also Vomiting can be a symptom.

I too have pains shortly after eating and sometimes (not that it really helps) curl up into the fetal position. I cant lay on my back or sit in a chair becuase of the discomfort. You can ask your doctor for some pain killers BUT be sure that they are similar to dimeral (excuse spelling) as pain killers such as morphine will not work with abdomin (abdomen) pains! ( I know this from experience)

If you think this info might be on to something try doing a search on the internet for "Pancreatitis".

Hope this helps.
Dave
What are the causes regarding gall bladder problems?  My mom has it and she takes care of herself, but her gull bladder, she found out it infected, what causes that and she has to have surgury.  What should she eat after her surgery?
I'd go with the pancreas on this one....and don't let the dr's shun your concerns.My dad is suffering from pancreatic cancer and the pre-fullness is a major sympton of pc....get a ct done ...ASAP
Every time i was eat a balonie sawauch and too Cokes, I feel like my intestine are splattering inside my stomach. I think I have four blood clots and  tumors from fried chicken and One thing  I try and having is a bottle of tums with me to the all you can eat Indian Cianne Pepper resturaunt AND When ATE ALL THE with the first plate, I down twelve tums, my stomach and throat go numb, then I CAN EAT MORE FOOD. I keep up this cycle until I have a general numbness in my stomach and a burning/blistering sensation in my mouth. I  have bloody flesh in my stool. SOmetimes there is more blood and flesh than stool. If you think i am mistake, tell me a story.

Like,

Omar

I woke  up one morning to severe pain and tightness across
my chest all around to the back. I thought I had slept wrong
and it would go away after I get up and move around. As the day
went on I realized the pain and tightness didn't go away so I
took a 800mg motrin for the pain. It was the kind of pain that
hurt to stoop cough and Sneeze. This pain move from the chest
and can now be felt under my rib cage on the right side. I have
also taken alka setzer for gas and it gave slight results. the
body ache can also be dianosed as flu like symtoms (symptoms), yet I have no
cold. my cough is dry. I would be 95% sure I'm suffering from
trapped gas. I can feel pockets of air bursting in my stomach
and the pain moves to different areas. Can you offer suggestions?
gastro paresis, treated with pills that you take 15-30 minutes before a meal.
Hi I have been quezzy for two weeks now. I just went to the doctor today, he performed some tests to check for H. Proly (the ulcer bacteria) and he said if the tests come back okay then he might check my gullbladder (gallbladder). I have tremendous pain in my stomach and a sudden sharp pain on the inside of my hip. The sharp pain is starting to spread to my back. I also belch and have gas everytime after I eat and even awhile after I eat. When ever I burp my food comes up with it. Does anyone know any possiblities of what it might be? thanks
For the last three months I have been having severe
abdominal pains on and off.  I usually have a pain in
my right side but now am feeling more pains in my
left side and back.  Lately I have been burping a
lot also after meals and through most of the rest of
the night.  I experience a lot of acid in my throat
which causes severe irritation.  I have been to the
doctor and also to a surgeon and am currently on
medication.  I have been back and forth on different
medications and now am finding myself to be more
uncomfortable more often.  The doctor and surgeon
both have informed me that they can not see my
gallbladder through various tests.  Has anyone ever
heard of this?  Any suggestions?  I can certainly
relate to how a lot of you are feeling!
I have a ulcer tell me the things i can and cant eat
My symptons started about four weeks ago. When I ate something my stomach started to ache and I could not keep my food dawn. I lost a lot of weight around 15 kilos. Now I am also having fluid in my body that needs to be pumped out(the fluid has white color).I went to the hospital and it seems they don't know the answer either. I have to go back to get more tests.However, I wonder if you have some answers for me on my situation. I don't know if you will only post your answer, or if you could E-Mail me direct. If you can E-Mail me here is my E-Mail address ***@****
Thank you very much in advace
Sandra Martinec
I AM NEW AT THIS, AND VERY WORRIED ABOUT MY HUSBAND. His symptoms sounds like the first article, dirreah, immediately after eating, (very little food). The trips to the bathroom are numerous every day.  As a Viet Nam veterian, may be could be Agent Orange has finally caught up to him. He has been a drinker for over 30 yrs., heavy smoker too. He hides any information from the doctors, so I don't worry. Living is watching him take each breathe while sleeping. You all hang in there tho, take care of your health, when you lose it, you've lost all.

ask  your doctor if you could get a endosocpy,to first rule out any ulcers or cancer.its most likely a reflux proublem then prilosec would take care of it ,prilosec works great for me.try more fiber in your meals,its always best to consult a doctor & have any test done that he or she orders first.&good luck.
HI - i have a question - Im a 19 year old college student and i have been having stomach problems for the last seven months - this past week it has been really horrible = i went to the ER last night b/c i couldnt breathe and now they think there is soemthing wrong with my gull bladder - and they are going to do an ultasound and a scope ectomy - does anybody know anything about these procedures - im scared and i want to know if they hurt or if they are going to make me sick - please respond soon!!!!!!
  or email me at ***@****
     Thank you,

Emily
I have a burning pain in the upper part of my stomach on the right side just under my rib cage.  This pain usually occurs when sitting and/or after eating.  I can stretch and feel the exact location of where the pain is originating from.  This pain/burning normally occurs in the mid-day and rarely at night.  I have a semi-stressfull job.  I drink one cup of "strong" coffee in the morning and I am a type A personality.  I have talked to my Dr. and she has scheduled me for a physical----six months from now.  Thanks for your response.

Darrell
I've had pain to my right side, under my rib off and on for months, Doctor can"t find any thing with tests, I still get this pain . This time I'am blotted real bad any thing i eat makes me feel like I've gained 50 lbs, also I keep burping and my face is swellen.Anyone got any answers?
i have had a pain in my upper right side, for about a month now. i have been to three doc. and one er doc. first they thought it was plorrisy, but my lungs were clear. then they thought it was my ribs, cracked or broke, they done ex rays and found nothing. the pain continued to get worse, lying down seems impossible! and it hurts in my back now. the docs all seem to be stunted for answers. today i had a cat scan and a ultra sound  done.thank god for insurance! anyway im waiting for the results. in the mean time, have any suggestions??? would be greatly appreciated!!
THE ULTRASOUND IS PAINLESS..THE SCOPE ECTOMY I DO NOT KNOW BECAUSE I HAVE NOT BEEN THROUGH THAT ..
I suffered numerous years with what started out to be bad symptoms of gas.  It got to the point where the pain totally engolfed the trunk of the body...so much so that I couldn't stand, walk, sit, lay.  One trip to the hospital showed nothing.  The tending physician said it probably was a bad case of gas.  The pains begin under the rib cage, under the right breast, moves to the left side of the body, and around to the back.  Sometimes I became violently ill.  Several months ago, after being misdiagnoised for gerd, my urin turned a horrible dark redish brown, the bowels turned white, my skin and eyes began to turn yellow and brown.  The doctor finally saw me and send me to get a sonagram - no pain, not intrucive, the technican ran a small bar like item over my front right side and back with a small amount of a gel like substance for the easy movement of the sonagram piece.  We found out I had a lot of stones in my gullbladder (gallbladder) and that they were blocking both ducts.  Finally, some of the stones passed, the pain was over, my coloring, etc. returned to normal.  It took several days to get back on my feet.  

Just three weeks ago it started again...the pain was great and after 48 hours I saw my new doctor who sent me to the E.R.  The doctors, and other hospital staff were great.  They were able to take the gullbladder (gallbladder) out microscopically (four small incisions).  It can be done outpatient (home same day).  May need some pain medicine, maybe not.  Three days rest and then back to work.  It was the best thing that happened to me when the doctor said the gullbladder (gallbladder) had to come out.  The doctors said if I waited longer to have the gullbladder (gallbladder) out the thicker the wall could get.  This could mean it would have to be an actual long incision instead of the outpatient microscopic surgery.

Do youself a favor...see your doctor.  Get back to better health.  Now that it's over I look back on it and it really wasn't necessary for my to worry about it and suffer over it the way that I did.