Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
perianal cyst

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

perianal cyst

6 weeks ago I began having discomfort in the anal area. A day later I noticed a drainage near my rectum (a bit north of it). I called my Dr. and started taking sitz baths along with an  oral antibiotic. Now, nearly 6 weeks later, I've been to see the Dr. who tells me I have a cyst, not on the sphincter, but near to it which is infected. It is the size of a large pea.  It is still draining externally just a bit, but twice has drained larger amounts from  within the rectum. They tell me this is a good sign but it is grossing me out.  The Dr. says he can operate but first the infection needs to be cleared.  Anyone else had this problem?  I'm just wondering how long this thing will take to get better.  It just makes me very nervous.  It doesn't hurt unless I push around on or near it and I feel very well in spite of it. Thanks much.
Hi - I think I can help you answer your question.  I had to have emergency surgery in April 2000 for a perianal cyst.  It went from the size of a pea to a grapefruit in about 4 days.  They told me if I didn't have the surgery that it could burst and I would be in a world of trouble.  I guess my cyst was so large that the doctor couldn't wait for the infection to go away.  Have you noticed it getting any bigger?  The doctor also told me I could have had it for quite some time and when it decided to fester it did it in a hurry.  I wish you the very best of luck.  I certainly feel your pain.
Thanks so much.  I had read some of the other posts and was hoping you would answer.  Since the cyst is inside, I can only tell what it's doing from feeling on the outside.  It has a tiny opening on the outside and obviously one on the inside, it appears, since it drains from both areas.  It doesn't feel like it's getting any larger unless it's growning only inward.  I guess if it does that, there'll be an obstruction problem, right?  I'm taking softeners just in case.  I have only 4 more days left of a 10 day round of Duricef, 1000 mg twice daily.  Maybe this is what's making it drain more the past few days, hopefully.  Did you feel sick with yours? did your doc operate when it was in an infected state?  Did yours drain? Sorry for all the questions but this isn't something you can just chat with a lot of people about.  My Dr. didn't actually call this a perianal cyst, he did say it is a cyst though and it's in that area, so I'm assuming that's what it's called.  Either way, it is terrible.  Any other information you could give would sure be appreciated.  I'm really tired of this.  Again, thanks.
Hi - I don't remember feeling sick when I had my perianal cyst.  I do remember being very uncomfortable and not being able to sit down.  I took several hot baths a day.  That seemed to be of the most comfort to me.  Yes, my doctor removed it during emergency surgery infection and all.  He was afraid if he waited that it would burst because it had gotten so large so quickly.  When the surgery was over (3 hrs later) I had a hole the size of a 50 cent piece (round) and about 4 inches deep.  Because of the location of the wound they were not able to sew it up.  I had to go to physical therapy daily and have my dressing changed.  They would have to unpack the wound, spray it out and make sure it was clean, and then repack it.  I did this for a couple weeks.  All in all it took about 6 weeks to heal up completely.  But just in case the doctor doesn't tell you, there is a very good chance that you will develop a fistula because of this surgery.  And the only way to repair the fistula is to have surgery again.  I was referred to a Colon Rectal specialist for this surgery.  I'm not sure exactly what they do but they thread a rubber band down through the fistula and the purpose of the rubber band is to cut through the muscle down there at a slow pace.  This was more painful than the cysts surgery.  I would have to go once a week for him to tighten the rubberband.  They compared it to have your braces tightened.  I saw no humor in that.  Anyway, when it was all said and done, I was good to go.  If you have any further questions, please feel free to email me.  I'll do my best to try and answer your questions.  Take care and Happy Holidays.  ***@****
Did you have any severe anal itching with your cyst? I recently had fissure surgery and am going nuts with itching-do the sitz baths religiously and all the rest. I'm wondering if that was my only problem. Am on double antibiotics right now but the itching is still continual.
Need assistance in guiding my 37 year old daughter to the correct treatment.   She has undergone four surgeries since January of 2001 for what the surgeon is calling perianal cysts.  The surgery from November has not healed and is still draining.   We have an appointment with the surgeon on Wednesday, February 6, at 4:30.   Does anyone has any information they can share that will prepare me for this appointment.   I have demanded to attend with her.   This is the first forum I have located that appears to have some information that is on point.   thank you ***@****
A related discussion, Hemmoroids (hemorrhoids) and Cyst was started.