Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
persistent stomach pain and frequent bowel movements

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

for the past couple of months, i have noticed persistent pain in my stomach, usually over my bellybutton and to the left, just underneath that big rib.  i have also experienced this pain on the right side as well.  this pain has coincided with an increased frequency of bowel movements.  virtually anything or anytime i eat anything, i then need to have a movement soon thereafter.   the bowel movements are usually not diarrhea, just frequent.  could this be caused by alcohol consumption or be an ulcer?  or could it be something more serious?
How much alcohol are we talking about???  FOR SURE alcohol makes people go to the washroom, lol.  One beer and i'm on the can.  For you, it sounds like it could be something such as irritable bowel syndrom (syndrome).  This is nothing serious, its just when your colon spasms and contracts cauing pain and frequent bowel movements, gas, sometimes alternating constipation with soft stools.  You may want to consult a doctor because you may have a food alergy (allergy).  If you notice that this happens when drinking, there may be something you're alergic (allergic) to in the alcohol.  I doubt VERY much, willing to bet money actually, that its nothing serious.  Talk to your doc and have him check you out just to make sure you're not lactose intollerant, or alergic (allergic) to any other foods that you don't know about.
Best of luck!! I hope you're feeling better soon!!
katie
I think I may know what is the problem.  I have had the same problem for a while.  Mine came up after I had my gall bladder out.  You have symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome but you also have symptoms of what I have and that is called Celiac Disease.  It is actually a wheat allergy that causes damage to your intestines.  It only takes a blood test to tell if you have it.  There is no cure but you have to get off of all wheat products and things like that.  I read somewhere that it is the most common disease in the united states and the most misdianogised.  A lot of doctors dont even know about it.  It usually comes up in infants and in older people because that is when you will start noticing the vitamin dificeincies and fatigue and things like that.  It also causes severe anemia.  I am only 19 years old and they let mine go for 3 years and I have been in and out of the hospital because it is usually not in people my age but it happens and that is why and am writing you today because it is something serious that can cause cancer if it is not treated in someway.  My suggestion would to be checked for Celiac Disease and if it is not that then it is more than likely irritabel bowel.  Write me back when you find out what it turns out to be.  Yes I would go see a doctor.
A related discussion, distended stomach with pain was started.