Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
polyps at 18

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

polyps at 18

I had a colonoscopy done yesterday, and the doctor found a 10 mm polyp on the right side of my colon.  I'm only 18.  They are doing a biopsy on it to see if it was cancerous or not.  I'm pretty freaked out.  Does this mean that I'm going to eventually get colon cancer??  When my doc told me what was wrong, i was just waking up from the sedation, so i can't really remember all that he said.  What i do remember him saying is that its rare for someone my age to have polyps at this age.  I was hoping that someone could tell me if this greatly increases my chances of getting colon cancer, and whats going to happen if this polyp was cancerous.  Any answer would be much appreciated!!!
katey  i just had colon surgery .i know at this point your scared but i have found out over a long history of digestive problems that you can have many polyps and none be cancerous but there is always a chance that it could be i do know they can go in and remove all remaining polyps.yes having polyps does put one at higher risk. i am not saying this to scare you but only to make sure you have a colonoscopy every couple of years because this is what they recomend for patients that have had  polyps rather they are cancerous or not.i wished i could be of more help let me know what the out come to your biopsy is.and may god bless you with only the best results .
thank you so much!! i will let you know.
I have a seven yr old who has under gone many  colonoscpys for large polyps like yours his keep growing back- his are not cancerous they are Juvenille polyps which you can get up till the age of 18 maybe that is what you have! let me know and good luck!
katey , i have a friend that had 5 polyps and they were nothing but what u should start doing is to start eating clean no junk food or  sodas . start taking "pro-biotics" for good intestinal flora . do a colon srub once a month , which is to take psylium seehusk power with water or jucie for 5 to 7 days straight so u can keep a healthy colon . very important.  they have colon cleaners are good vitamin shops   you will be fine!