Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
post gallbladder surgery

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

post gallbladder surgery

I had laproscopic gallbladder surgery approximately 4 months ago.  I have now developed a knot about the size of a small fist in the area above my navel where one of the incisions is.  I noticed this knot a week ago and it is noticeable to everyone.  You can feel a hardness to it.  I had a abdominal  CT done and they tell me nothing showed up.  I still have the knot that is tender.  I have alot of nausea on occasion.  My doctor put me on medicine for the nausea?  Could this be related to my gallbladder surgery?  The doctor accidentally cut my heptic artery when he was doing the surgery and I lost alot of blood.  Please answer for me?

thanks,
janice
I had gall bladder surgery in 1998 and it took until the end of 2001 for the scars to fade.  The one near my belly button took the longest.  It is the incision where they pull the shrunken gall bladder out.  In the process the doctor you said severed your artery.  I would think that the tissue is probably scarring and the mass is caused by the cutting through the muscle tissue.  Consult your surgeon who perfomed the procedure further and possibly another surgeon from another hospital to see if their is malpractice here in the way he did the surgery.  If he severed the artery another surgeon make think the one that did yours to be negligent.
Did you need a blood transfusion? Just when I think I can go thru the gallbladder surgery I hear all these horror stories of different things going wrong that I hadn't even considered!
The Doctor did not do a blood transfusion.  He wasn't even goint to tell me about what he did but I heard the nurses talking so I asked my doctor.  He than had to tell me but he never spoke to my husband after surgery.  He avoided him.
I went to a Gastroenterologist today and found out that the knot I
was feeling is an ventral hernia.  From what I can understand it is
a hernia that is called the "incisional hernia"  It is can be caused by a tear or when the Doctor is closing from a previous surgery.  I geuss this explains why there was no sign of this 4 months ago when I had my gallbadder removed.  I know that the Doctor cut a heptic artery by mistake and I had alot of bleeding.  I am just wandering if this is the cause of my hernia.  This hernia is hughe and it has only been 4 months since my gallbladder surgery.  I now have to see a surgeon to have this repaired. Maybe, I should send the bills for all of this to the doctor who did my gallbladder surgery.
What do you think?
Janice Red 12
What do you think?
Janice Red 12
Yes, Red, you should send the bill to that Doctor. And, I'm going to send my Gallbladder to the Gastro Doc who told me it was "all in my head"...Quacks!
i had gallbladder surgery about 4 and a half months ago. and i am getting pains where the doctor made the incision under my sternum. i asked him about it and he said that there could be more gallstones, and that i should pass them within the next 30 days or so. well the pains are still there and i was wandering if there could be another kind of problem?
A related discussion, gallbladder surgery horror was started.