Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
post op hiatal hernia repair

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

post op hiatal hernia repair

Hi, I am a 34 year old female. 8 weeks ago I had the Hiatal Hernia Repair (Nissen Lapro). The first few weeks went okay because I was eating soft food and liquids. Once I started eating solid foods I began hurting in my side and back and had a severe headache. I would lay down and it would go away after about 15 to 30 minutes. I went back to the Dr and they did another upper Gi along with a esphogram and ultrasound of my stomach. The only thing that showed was a gallstone so my surgeon thought that might be what was causing the pain after eating. So I had that removed 2 weeks ago. The severity of the pain has decreased but it continues to happen. I am also having some chest pain now and squeezing feeling in my throat. I had the manometry test done before the surgery, plus upper gi and the endoscopy. This is making me very depressed. I feel that I will never be normal. I opted for this surgery. I weighed 120 lbs at the time of surgery. Now I weigh 105. I eat but I am in pain afterwards. Which is small for someone with all the stomach problems I have.  My hernia was the size of a golfball or bigger. I have had no reflux since the surgery but these other problems are worse. At least I had relief from the heartburn with Prilosec. Can anyone help me ?
I read your post and can get sympathize with you.  Approx 3.5 years ago, I was diagnosed with a large hiatel hernia and GERD. I underwent the Nissen Fundoplication (open - due to the size of the hernia, they could not do it laprascopically).  I was in the hospital for 1 week and recovery at home for about 3 weeks.  In my situation, the eating was difficult for about 3 months.  As I understand it when they do the wrap, there is alot of swelling in the area, thus you feel like you have food sticking or have discomfort while eating.  I can assure you, that you will eventually be able to eat like a normal person again. It is very depressing - not being able to eat or wondering if there is going to be alot of discomfort/pain after.  Hope all works out well.
Sept 18th I had a Hiatel hernia repair -Hills procedure.  my stomach is now connected to my diaphragm....This was done laproscopically.  The problem is now 5 weeks later I am having bad pain in my left shoulder, which is normally only there after the surgery.  I am worried that the stomach is pulling away from the diaphragm.  Also I have had episodes of feeling like food is sticking.  It hurts extremely bad.  They have scoped me and stretched my esophagus twice.  But it keeps happening.  The shoulder is my main concern.  Any one else ever have this?

Thanks, Marge
A related discussion, hiatel hernia repair was started.
A related discussion, Post nissen fundop " Painfull " was started.