Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
post-surgical problems

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

post-surgical problems

I am 31 and last year had an emergency colectomy with the ileal pouch reconstruction.
  (no external pouch) I had very few intestinal problems in the past and
  only showed signs of the ulcerative colitis 3 months prior to my surgery.
  Now I am feeling pretty good, but I have been experiencing a lot of discomfort
  where the internal pouch was created-in my rectum area. Two months ago I had a flexable sig and
  my GI doctor said that I did not have any signs of pouchitis. Currently I am taking
  simethicone because I am assuming much of my problem is gas, but I am nervous
  about having to rely on this for my whole life. I wonder if there are any
  more 'natural' ways to help with the gas and other ways to deal with the
  discomfort of the internal pouch. (By the way, I cannot expel gas in a 'normal' way, my stool
  is still too soft) Any suggestions? I am also looking for a support group for this
  type of surgery. Thanks for any suggestions.
____________
Dear Liz,
Using simethicone should not cause you anxiety.  It is a safe medication.   If you want you can try charcoal products.  The charcoal, which remains in the gut, adsorbs the gas eliminating the problem.  I would not suggest that you change if the simethicone is working for you.
To find a support group, I suggest that you call your surgeon or local colitis society office.  The Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America has a web site (cda.org) that provides patient information as well as a listing of local chapters.
This information is provided for educational purposes only.  Always consult your personal physician for specific medical questions.
HFHSM.D.-rf
*keywords: colitis, ileo-anal pouch
0.2