Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
primary biliary cirrhosis

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

primary biliary cirrhosis

I see a lot of info on aih, but not much on primary biliary cirrhosis.  Can anyone explain this and help me with questions on how to live with it.  Thanks
There are some pretty good resources for PBC listed at

http://forums.delphiforums.com/liverfailure/messages?msg=580.1

(You can scroll through about 9 posts there)

hope this helps.
Hi there
I just noticed a seperate post of yours here, that mentioned autoimmune hepatitis and PBC.

There are some articles that explain how it's all related---
you might want to check this out

http://forums.delphiforums.com/liverfailure/messages?msg=1039.1

(it's a string of 6 posts)

http://pbcers.org/  This is a wonderful site and very helpful with information.  They also have a forum.  I hope this informations is helpful to you.  Good Luck!
((You're right, it's one of the best sites for PBC))

You should be tested for Celiac Disease. Recent studies show a link beteen PBC and undiagnosed CD. Other studies have shown a gluten free diet in many cases can greatly improve liver function for those with liver disease.

Below is an article to give to your doctor. It is worth taking the test for Celiac Disease. Read about CD on my website.

Mike
www.glutenfreeinwny.com

Article from http://www.maladiecoeliaque.com/infcom19.htm

Tissue transglutaminase antibodies and Celiac Disease in patients with primary biliary cirrhosis and autoimmune cholangitis

Costas Chatzicostas, Maria Roussomoustakaki, Dept of Gastroenterology, Univ Hosp, Heraklion Greece; Dimitrios Drygiannakis, Dept of Immunology, Gen Hosp, Rethymnon Greece; Maria Niniraki, Dept of Immunology, Univ Hosp, Heraklion Greece; Mary Koulentaki, Dept of Gastroenterology, Univ Hosp, Heraklion Greece; Maria Tzardi, Dept of Pathology, Univ Hosp, Heraklion Greece; Elias A. Kouroumalis, Dept of Gastroenterology, Univ Hosp, Heraklion Greece

Background: Recent studies have reported an association between celiac disease (CD) and primary biliary cirrhosis (PBC), suggesting the need for screening for one disease when the other is identified. Tissue transglutaminase (tTG)is the main autoantigen recognized by endomysial antibodies (EMA), the best serological marker for CD so far. Aims: To assess the efficacy of IgA antibodies to tTG in screening a group of Cretan patients with PBC and autoimmune cholangitis (AIC) for celiac disease. Materials and methods: Sera from 62 patients with PBC, 17 with AIC, and 100 healthy blood donors were examined for IgA-tTG (ELISA), for IgA-EMA and reticulin (indirect immunofluorescence)and for IgG- and IgA-gliadin andibodies (ELISA). Ten patients with untreated celiac disease served as methological controls. Results: Transglutaminase antibodies were found in 10% of PBC, in 18% of AIC, in all 10 celiacs, but in none of the blood donors. Reticulin and endomysial antibodies were negative in all patients with liver disease and in healthy controls. Intestinal biopsies were performed in 83% of PBC and in all AIC patients who were tTG positive. No evidence of celiac disease was found. Gliadin antibodies were also significantly increased in patients (21% of PBC and 35% of AIC vs 3% in controls, p < 0.0001). Conclusions: Our findings do not support any association between PBC, AIC and CD. In liver disease gliadin and transglutaminase antibodies are not useful in screening for CD, whereas endomysial antibodies and intestinal biopsy remain the gold standard.