Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
recent, persistent rectal bleeding, etc.

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Thank you for your forum. My question is somewhat complicated: I am 40 yrs, female, with a history of undiagnosed digestive problems, sporadic - about 10 years or so. Intermittant cramping, blood in toilet or on paper, diarrhea, hemorrhoids, etc - usually following obvious dietary indiscretions. I drink wine every night, and have been known to overindulge on occassion in fatty foods and alcohol, too much over the last 20 years. My family has no history, to my knowledge, of colon cancer. Within the last three years or so, I have experienced increasing and most recently, persistent, digestive difficulties ranging from days of watery diarrhea - usually in the morning after having eaten something, but not exclusively so. This has been, for the last four months or so, preceeded by severe stomach aches, not cramping.  This is relieved after a BM (no, not a Bloody Mary - I'm not that much of an alcoholphile) - also, the BM's are not always diarrhea - there are occassions when it appears normal or what I would perceive as normal.  They have varied in consistency and color more frequently within the last couple of years, also.  Forgive the graphics.

Well, about a week ago, after having experienced for about two months persistent watery diarrhea interspersed with occasional "normal" passings, I had a major bout of diarrhea and that triggered a very large, what I thought and think to be, hemorrhoid, that after about a day began to bleed. Slightly (pinkish) at first, then more abundantly and of a brighter color (red). Then after about 5 days, it started to seem to me to shrink and the bleeding has lessened - but I am not entirely convinced the bleeding is exclusively caused by what I think is a hemerrhoid.  Soooo, to make a short story long, does this sound like symptoms and a history that may very well indicate colon cancer?  Yes, I am going to see my doctor - but I have not visited a doctor for anything like this ever.  In fact, I go at the drop of a hat for things I may deem non-life-threatening, but I am frightened beyond comprehension to go for what could be.  So I would like your thoughts on this, if you have the time.

Thanks very much for whatever information you can provide.
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

A lower GI bleed (i.e. bloody diarrhea) is always an indication for endoscopy (colonoscopy or flexible sigmoidoscopy) to determine what is causing it.  

There are several conditions that you may want to discuss with your personal physician.  These results are from a study determining the cause of lower GI bleeding:

Diverticulosis
michelle, the best thing you can do for yourself  at this moment in your life is to put your fear aside and go see a gastro/specialest .i know fear can be a monster to fight, but it sound to me like you realy need to see a doc asap.most digestive/colon /cancer,etc. can be treated if caught in time but the longer it is put off the more you indanger your health i  faced the same fear you are dealing with , so i do understand .i have had colon surgery and i have many other digestive disease/disorders .but had i not taken control of things it could have been much worse .the fact of the matter is it could be something quite simple but you can not afford to guess work your health . so bite the fear bullet and see the gastro/specialest .the doctor is correct the best test to have done so nothing is missed is the colonoscopy ,that is how they finally found mine after many doctors and test.so please for your own well being go to the doc.god bless, wishing you well
A related discussion, constant bleeding was started.