Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
red blood in stool immediately following stomach bug

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Hi, I'm a 30 year old male. The reason I'm writing is that the other day, I noticed red blood on the toilet paper.  The blood was also well mixed with mucus like stool and there was also the normal looking stool that came out.  This was immediately following what I guess was a 24 hour 'stomach bug' which I had unstoppable bowel movement (I didn't make it home in time and ruined my pants).  The blood came out pretty much 24 hours after the first stomach cramps of the 'bug' (which I think may or may not have been caused by some hot wings I ate)

This has got me a bit worried, due to my recent diagnosis of an inflamed duodenum (duodentitis) by way of an upper gi series.  The reason this was done was my complaints of upper-mid abdominal pain which kept coming and going (but now I haven't had the upper mid pain for many weeks) still, I await the upper gi endoscopy, as the scheduled doctor is busy.   I also had an abdominal ultrasound and abdominal and pelvic CT scan one month ago which turned out normal.

Bottom line, if I don't see red blood again, am I probably okay?  Does it seem to you that most likely it was related to my brief stomach bug somehow?
Blood on the toilet paper can be due to infection, hemorrhoids, diverticulitis or possible cancer or polyps.  

I would consider endoscopy at this time.  A flexible sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy can be considered for a more extensive evaluation.

This option can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_