removal of the entire omentum

what is the importance of the omentum in our body, and what are the repercutions of removing the entire thing?  is it a last ditch effort, or is it like removing the appendix?  how common are problems with the omentum attatching itself to the inside of a scar left behind after surgery for a ruptured ectopic pregnancy at 12 weeks gestation?  none of the doctors where we are have ever seen anything like this.  help, my sister is due for surgery on tuesday for the complete removal of her omentum on tuesday unless we can come up with an alternative.
____________
Dear Jennifer,
The omentum is the fat in the abdominal cavity that surronds the organs and fiunctions as " shock absorbers'.  Additionally, the blood vessels that supply the gastrointestinal tract run in the omentum.  It is technically impossible to remove all the omentum.  I assume that you sister has an inflammatory mass, due to the ruptured ectopic pregnancy, and that there is abdominal apin and possibly partial bowel obstruction.  Local resections may work on ocasion.  It is difficult to provide more specific information regarding alternative approaches without knowing when she had the ruptured ectopic.
This information is presented for educational purposes.  Ask specific questions to your personal physician.
HFHSM.D.-rf
*keywords; abdominal pain
0.2

A related discussion, ovarian cystic mass was started.
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Who are the top-rated Gastroenterologist in your area?