Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
resection/surgery

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

resection/surgery

I recently had a colonoscopy that sent a smoldering diverticulitis into a full blown stage. 5 days in the hospital on IV antibiotics followed, and I'm currently home and on 2 oral antibiotics at this time. I'm 50 years old and the doctors say that there is a very good possibility that I still may need to have surgery. I'm looking for feedback from anyone whose already had this experience, how the surgery went, how long your recovery time was, and most importantly, the end results of your procedure. I've suffered with this condition for almost 8 years and am of the opinion that if the doctors say it's time to operate, I'm ready to get it over with. If you've had this surgery how are things in your life now? What's changed in terms of your diet before the surgery and after? thanks in advance for your feedback.
1 Comment
Hi, I had a colon resection about a year and a half ago at the age of 53.  I did not have diverticulitis.  This was for an early stage colon cancer.  I had about 14 inches of colon removed.  This was in the sigmoid area.  The surgery went well, and I was in the hospital for 9 days.  They say about a week is the norm.  The big deal is that you have to pass gas which signifies that your colon is "waking up" and things are moving the way they should.  This did not happen for me until the 8th day after surgery.  Up until that time I had an IV and nothing by mouth.  Also you have to have an NG tube up your nose and down your throat for several days.  This suctions out bile from your stomach and lets the colon heal.  I had a morphine pump which is patient controlled.  I had never been in the hospital before except to have children.  But I got along ok.  The very important thing is to walk as much as possible, it helps get the bowels moving and helps with recovery.  Looking back now, I should have done more of that.  Of course I was very sore for awhile, but all in all it all went well.  About two and a half weeks after surgery I drove to the grocery store by myself.  I certainly was not moving very fast and did not buy anything heavy, but I'm just trying to give you an idea of recovery.  This gives you some idea of the surgery, but as far as end results having to do with the diverticulitis, I can't help you.  Bowel movements are normal, I have never had diarrhea since the surgery, except maybe the first couple of times I went after the surgery.  I would say bowel movements are more frequent, I think because there is just less colon to store it in.  I hope eveything works out for you, and if you have any more questions I would be glad to help.