Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
right pain behind right rib

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

right pain behind right rib

I am a 34 yr old male, non smoker, weekend drinker (approx.6-24 beer per weekend).No meds, no drugs.
I have had a persistent nagging pain behing my mid right rib. I had the liver enzymes done with a blood test and an ultrasound, both showed normal (2 months ago). My doc thinks its just a rib injury, but I dont think thats so. Could you suggest some possibilities? i am a bit concerned that eventhough the liver test showed negative, that there could still be something going on.Also had a colonoscopy 4 yrs ago, an an upper GI around 2 yrs ago, which revealed some reflux.
Also, if you think it could be stomach issues, could you recommend a good med for acid?

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Liver and gallbladder diseases can certainly be considered, but are less likely given the negative ultrasound and blood tests.  A CT scan can be considered for further imaging.  

You can also consider various causes of dyspepsia - such as GERD, an ulcer, or inflammation of the upper digestive tract.  

If GERD, or acid reflux, is a problem, a PPI like Prilosec or Protonix can be discussed with your personal physician.  The definitive test would be a 24-hr pH study.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
40 YEAR OLD NON SMOKER/ DRUGS BUT WEEKEND DRINKING. SINCE FEBUARY I HAVE HAD PAIN BEHIND LOWER RIGHT RIB CAGE. WENT THROUGH THE BLOOD TESTING, ULTRA SOUND,C SCAN.......REVEALED NOTHING. LAST TEST WAS A HIDASCAN (SPELLING??) WICH REVEALED THAT MY GALLBLADDER WAS OPERATING AT ONLY 20%. LAST WEEK I HAD IT REMOVED. TODAY IS MAY FIRST AND WE ARE STILL TRYING TO RECOVER. DON'T KNOW WHAT THE OUT COME WILL BE. eMAIL ME IF YOU LIKE. ***@****
I too have a some discomfort below my ribs on the right side. Actually sometimes it's more of a burning feeling on the outer right edge of my ribs as well as a occasional dull ache about 4 inches below my ribs - right side. I have had so many tests to resolve what this is. Ultrasound, Blood test, CT, X-Ray, Urine, Lung Function. All came back negative for anything! This ache comes and goes. Anybody have similar symptons?? It's been there on and off for 6 months and has not gotten worse, just slightly better. I also do drink daily.
About the pain that occurs about 4 inches below your ribs, is it more toward the center of your abdomen?  If so, it could be caused by a peptic or duodenal ulcer that is caused by your daily drinking.  For the time being, I would cut down on the amount of alcohol consumed.  Also, talk to your doctor about an upper endoscopy.  This test allows the doctor to visualize the esophagus, stomach and upper third of the small intestine for any signs of malignancy, ulcers, or for any signs of irritation.
I have the same, Pain below my right rib to the right sometimes it goes to my back. All my bloods, CT, Ultrasound, HIDA scan, Endoscopy, Colonoscopy all normal except some fat in my liver but the Dr said that woud not cause the pain? Does anyone have the same? I am now going to a small bowel series next week. The pain  is constant all the time. I did drink daily but not anymore. I am taking Nexium and that helps a burning that I had in my stomach
I've had this pain under my right rib for almost a year now. It seems to increase after drinking, recently having become occasionally acute, rather than a chronically 'dull ache'.

Today I bought some prilosec and I'll try it for 2 weeks to see if this helps. I did have an ultrasound and blood tests, which all showed normal except for a 'thick bile' flow.

I am unfortunately abstaining from alcohol now, as every time I do drink, it becomes more painful the next day (at the time it gets better of course... ha ha).
A related discussion, pain under right rib and my ribs are sore was started.
I have a burning sensation on my right side and it comes when I have heart burn or indigestion I had an ultra sound and blood test they came back negative what should I do next