Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
rubber band around my upper stomach-help!

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I am now taking protonix for my gerd. I don't think this is helping the tightness in my throat ,coughing, or the upper tightness in my stomach. I have had all the usual tests & scans . I do show spasams in my lower bowel & some erosion. I have not found anyone else with a description of this rubberband feeling around my stomach,right below my sternum. I guess you could say it feels like a corset is around that area. Nothing helps ,laying down,sitting standing,it's all the same! The strange thing is when I hold a hand over that area it does feel somewhat better. Have you ever tried to drive any distance with your hand around your stomach? I would just like to find out what it is ! Please help someone.....
I have this exact same thing - tightness in my upper stomach / chest area and am yet to be diagnosed. I think I have hiatas hernia and acid reflux along with it. If you take a deep breath in do you find you have to lift your shoulders rather than take the air into the stomach - I do. When sitting and then bending over it is very uncomfortable in my stomach aswell, sounds like we have very simular problems and describing it with a rubber band is perfect!
I have the same. Make yourself belch by carefully tickling your throat with a plastic handle of a tootbrush, or of a spatel. It is beter because it is longer.  It is the fastest way to get instant relief.  Do it also before you go to sleep.  I need now only one maalox to keep the reflux under control.  Check out the Stretta procedure to get rid of the (lifelong) medicins. Barend.
I will try the toothbrush but I don't think that will help. It doesn't feel like I have to belch. When this is really bad I can still take a deep breath the feeling just gets tighter. Does placing your hand over your stomach relive it? For some reason  it does oon me. But wearing a shirt that touches my skin makes it worse???
I also have the rubber band like feeling that not only goes around the front over my stomach but also all around my back.  Recently I have had pain in my back like something is sticking out in that spot and goes all the way through to the front.  Today I had a abdomen ultrasound.  The man told me that my liver was enlarged and fatty and that also since I have a hiatal hernia that could have gotten larger and is giving me the pain.  Why doctors don't explore that option first is beyond me.
A related discussion, upper stomach feels so tight most of the time was started.