Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
skin is itchy, but no rash???

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

skin is itchy, but no rash???

My skin all over my body has been very itchy, but there is no red or no hives on my skin. I have , in the past, had cold urticaria (sorry about the spelling)...which is when you get hives when the skin has been exposed to cold. I haven't had that in a year so I think it has gone away.
I have tried to take reactine (to stop a physical allergy), but that did nothing. I don't think it's exema (eczema) because both my kids have that and I know what it looks like. My skin doesn't feel dry. I've tried to give up all perfumes and lotions trying to find the cause, but nothing has helped. Any suggestions?...P.S. I scratch myself to bleeding without knowing it...ouch!
Tags: rash
Is it painful?  My husband has suffered from same type of symptoms for years, since he was a child, and it only seems to happen through teh summer into the fall.  He's tried everything, especially allergy medicine, but no relief.  

My son has a genetic liver disease, which my husband and I are both carriers of the defective gene, and there is a skin condition related to it called panniculitus.  Not sure if that's what this could be?  Doesn't have all those symptoms.
Skin itching without a rash can be caused by several things. It does not sound like Ezcema (eczema) which you will have a rash which will get worse if you scratch it.

When the body's liver enzymes increase which can be from many things you can also experience some itching, same with if you have kidney problems.

You may be allergic to something that you are not aware of.
Have you been to a dermatologist to see what they think?
I would also have some lab's drawn.

I know it's hard but you must stop scratching! Have you tried Benadryl or any of the over-the-counter antihistamines (as long as you are not allergic to it)that may help but can make you drowsy.
Speaking of which - are you on any medications? Make sure that any thing that you take do not have itching as a side effect.

Also watch what you are eating. Anything new?
I would go ahead and call your MD since it has become so severe.
I have a similar ithcy problem.  It started in October.  The itch started on the inside of my thighs but it felt like it was very deep in my leg, not on the surface.  I scratch until there's no skin left.  The itch has spread all over except my head.  When the dermatologist found I have a hot tub, he said it was "hot tub foliculitis (folliculitis)".  He's wrong.  There is no rash.  I just scrath until I have destroyed the skin and it hurts instead of itches.  We stopped using the hot tub and the itch continues.  My wife and I think that it could be stress.  I was perscribed some prednizone(sp), but that didn't help. The only thing that helps is the benedryl 4 times a day.  When the four hours are up I itch all over.  My questions: Is there a parasite that could cause this condition?  Could this itch be vascular since it feels so deep?  Does the fact that the benedryl works mean that I have an alergy (allergy)???  Can I take Benedryl indefinitely?