Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
sludge in the bile duct
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

sludge in the bile duct

I recently had a ercp because of upper right quadrant discomfort and an elevated ggt.At that time sludge was seen and I had a papillotomy and my bile duct was stretched with a balloon. I had previously had blood tests to rule out pbc, hepatitis ,etc. 2 weeks after the procedure my ggt came down from about 340 to 290. Do ggt's usually come down gradually or all once?I am not going to be retested for another 2 months.
________
Dear Jean,
If you had a bile duct problem as the cause for the increased GGT, then the GGT should have returned to normal over several days.  If you rvalues remain elevated, then other causes should be considered.  A liver biopsy may be needed to exclude intrahepatic causes for the abnormal liver test.
This information is presented for educational purposes only.  Always ask specific questions to your personal physician.
HFHSM.D.-rf
*keywords: liver test, gallstones