small pellets and light/dark bowel movement
I am concerned about the shape and color of my stool. The first inch or two of the stool is composed of pellet like pieces. The remainder is formed, smooth and two-toned, ie., light brown on one side; darker brown on the other side. This coloration is uniform---along the entire piece and,it seems, exactly half and half. I am 62 and since a very young age have had problems with constipation. My lower abdomen seems "full" and, at night, when lying on my back, the large colon seems "hard" or "rigid". I often will defecate "little pieces" during the day. This "fullness" is not new:  During my working years I never ate a breakfast or lunch because I would bloat and feel uncomfortable. The shape and color of the stool noted above, however, is new---for about the last year. I am scheduling a physical in the near future---but am looking for some insight prior to consultation, and, perhaps, some direction in terms of an internet search for research prior to the visit.
Thank you.
Any type of change in the stool shape or caliber should be evaluated with a colonoscopy.  At age 62, you should be screened for colon cancer via a colonoscopy regardless.

Possibilities can include a polyp, cancer or any type of colitis or colon stricture.  The colonoscopy would be the most comprehensive test to evaluate for these possibilities.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b