Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
spasms of the stomach and oesophagus

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

spasms of the stomach and oesophagus
I have been getting severe spasms in my upper stomach and oesophagus for a long time now and it's mostly at night that it bothers me really bad.  I had a cholecystectomy last year and it did not help it any.  Any suggestion on how to treat it???
Have you been diagnosed with spasms of the stomach and/or esophagus?  I have been diagnosed with severe spasms of the gut (stomache).  I have been taking Levsin (anti-spasm medication).  Talk to your gastro doc. and ask about anti-spasm medications and which, if any, might be right for you.  I have been hospitalized 3 times recently for these things. Before that it was 2 years ago for my last ER visit.  I have to tell you, my spasms started after my gallbladder surgery. I am currently seeking more medical tests and exams for these spasms (because they are interferring with my everyday life.)  My regular physician beleives I may have achalasia. It is a disorder with the esophagus and can cause mild symptoms and severe ones too.  Unfortunely I have the severe end of it.  I am hoping for a permanent cure but for now I take the meds. and it seems to be keeping me out of the hospital for the time being.
Hope this helps.
Hi, I was wondering what all your symptoms were with the spasms?? Ever since i had a Nissen Fundoplication and Gallbladder out last year, i get really bad chest pain when i am hungry. When i eat something it feels better. It's very very painful tho and feels like i'm having a heartattack. I can't do anything else when this happens cause it is so painful.I was wondering if it was esophagus spasms?? Can you help me, thanks
i am 23 and have been having spasms of the esphougus since i was 16.  It has gotten worse in the last few years.  I have been to the hosiptal many times.  The doctors say i have the spasms due to acid reflux.  I know food can play a role in aggravating my stomach.  Watch what you eat.  Avoid: alcohol, caffiene, chocotale, onions, green peppers, tomotoes, mints, spicy things.  That should help a bit.  When i get these attacks I take pain pills now.  The antispasm medicine you were on  i believe makes it worse.  I have taken many of those and it doens't work.  I take vicodine now.  I  only take those when it is a bad one.  DOn't take it when the pain is minor you will be takeing these things all the time.  The pain medicine works and saves a trip to the ER.  Ask your doc.