Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
spasms or flutters

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

spasms or flutters

I have spasms or flutters in the lower midsection, by my heart.

I had an e.k.g., and a treadmill stress test, and they both came
out alright.  

I continue to have them frequently, and have alot of discomfort.

They make me have a flush feeling, when I have them.

Thank you for any information you have for me.
It is possible that you are having palpitations.  You note a normal EKG and stress test.  

The next step I would suggest is a thyroid test and an event monitor.  An event monitor is a pocket device that monitors your heart rhythms.  Whenever you feel these flutters, you press a button and the machine would record your heart rhythm to see if there are any arrhythmias.  

As for a GI cause, there are is a rare disease known as carcinoid syndrome that is associated with flushing.  The most useful initial diagnostic test for the carcinoid syndrome is to measure 24-hour urinary excretion of 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid (HIAA).  Again, this is rare but you may want to discuss it with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
1 Comment
I had the 24 hour monitor test, but nothing showed. They not
  as strong as before. but they are still there. They are going
  to run upper GI and some more test friday 14, I would like to
  find out what wrong.     thank you  for any infromation
I often have what feels like flutters also, but after carefully observing realized they ussually are followed by a belch.  If not, forcing a belch seems to relieve the flutter.  I just always assumed that it was something to do with bubbles in my esophagus.  I always do flush and hold my breath when it happens as a reaction, but I believe its because it frightens me momentarily.  

If you feel the flutter again, observe whether it proceeds or preceeds a burp or gas.
"I often have what feels like flutters also, but after carefully observing realized they ussually are followed by a belch."

You may be 'relieved' to know I have this exact same problem!  Every few weeks to months I get incidents of arrythmia that are coincedent with the feeling of small gas bubbles rising in my throat.  When I burp these little bubbles out the arrythmia stops immediately.  Sometimes to be followed by the same cycle a minute or so later.  It can happen for just a few minutes or off and on for a day or two.  I've found that taking antacids usually calms it significantly or lacking that sometimes just drinking a cola helps. (the big burps seem to chase the litte ones away!)  So I've come to the conclusion that it has something to do with reflux, like tickling a nerve in the throat somewhere that then affects the the heart's rythm.

Generally it doesn't affect me in a serious way, although I have had 3 or 4 cases when the sputtering was so intense that I had to sit or lay down until it (the burps) passed.  I also understand what you mean about the panic effect since it can come on suddenly and is a very disturbing sensation.

By the way I have talked to two GI doctors about this and I'm not sure either believed me.  Both scratched their heads and wanted to refer me to a cardiologist, and I can understand that, but I have declined.  I have no history of heart disease in my family, am in pretty good shape, and am also currently dealing with mild adult onset Crohn's so I already have my fill of exams and probings.  It was in fact a visit to my GP about this arrythmia 10 years ago that led to the discovery that I was anemic and eventually the Crohn's.  The bouts of arrythmia have actually decreased over this period because I am now more discretionary about what I put in my GI tract.  No more hard to digest or spicy foods, etc.  I attribute this to less reflux and hence fewer flutters.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one in the world with this strange problem.  Perhaps doctors should spend more time on the Internet? :)

flutterz (M/35)
Finally, I am reading from others what I have been experiencing for many years.  I am a licensed chiropractor in the state of PA and have over 6,000 existing patients.  I hear of many people who suffer with problems that Medical doctors say are uncommon or don't exist.  My father, brother, and first cousin are all medical doctors so I am certainly not medical bashing just stating the facts.  If complaints are not verified with mainstream diagnostic tests they are often discarded as psychosomatic illness. (emotionally based).  

I just turned 34 years old and consider myself to be in good general health.  I work out regularly and eat well.  I took an IG4 allergy test which is a delayed sensitivity allergy reaction test and found that I am allergic to wheat.  If I eat bread, pasta, etc. I have a difficult time digesting, and my heart rhythm changes, creating APC's or PVC's (flutters) until my digestive system settles down.  This worsens greatly with the addition of stress.  So here is my equation for heart flutter. Please respond to this post if you are suffering from a similar problem.

WRONG FOODS + STRESS = POOR DIGESTION, CREATING "FLUTTERS"

I have been convinced for a long time that gas or reflux of undigested food is creating pressure on nerves that effect the hearts rhythm.  I appreciate all of your posts and will be happy to answer any questions if I can.  And...Thanks for the ear.

-Dr. Dean
Wow, i have been having this problem for a few months now, and I also had a EKG done, blood work, and everything comes back that im okay. Except they did say that I have an underactive thyroid, which shouldn't cause "Flutters". So one doctor said it was anxiety. But as some of you stated, it always seems like i need to belch, and belching does relieve it. i agree with Dr. Dean that is has to do with gas or reflux and undigested foods.
A related discussion, Flutters was started.
A related discussion, flutters- abdominal was started.