Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
stents

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

stents
Hi all,
I have a stent placed in my pancreatic duct.  I am interested in hearing from anyone that has had a stent removed.  I am having mine removed in 10 days and the doctor says if it doesn't hurt when I wake up in recovery, that I can go home that same day.  It didn't hurt at all going in and I had to spend the night in the hospital, so I am hoping to avoid that.  Also, when I eat sometimes  it feels like when you take a HIGE bite of food that goes down slow and hard down your throat, only it's in my pancreas area.  It doesn't hurt at all, just weird.  I'd like to know how long this lasts and if it's normal.
Thanks,
TazLady
Hi:

I am wondering why you have to have it removed? I have had numerous stents placed via ERCP for pancreatic divisum. At first they had to be removed but the last couple I had "passed" on their on and a repeat procedure was not needed. I guess it depends on type(?) of  stent used. Generally, it should not be a problem having it removed. They will sedate you just like the first time and unless it has caused severe abdominal pain--sometimes these procedures can cause an acute case of pancreatitis- you should be able to go home that day. As far as the swallowing goes, I've never had that so I have no idea what is going on there. I wish you the best.
Hi Smurf,
First...thanks for answering back.  I appreciate that.  It's always scary when you are going through something you've never done before.  All I know is that the doctor said it was a plastic stent that had to be removed within 4 weeks of inserting it.  I wish it could just go away too.  I am happy being home and don't want another surgery. The doctor did say there was a chance that I could go home the same day if I didn't experience any pain in recovery.  I am a little scared there as I have been in pain for years and it is second nature to answer "yes" when asked if I'm in pain, even though threw these last surgerys I haven't had any. I will say that with this new doctor I have I have NOT experienced a pancreatic attack with any ERCP's he has performed.  He knows how to do it without that happening!  Isn't that wonderful!!!
I don't always care for this doctors bedside manner, but he knows exactly what he's doing.
TazLady
Best of luck. I wish you a pain free procedure and recovery.