Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
stomach knots + lightheadedness
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

stomach knots + lightheadedness

I'm 25 years old.  Two weeks ago after a few days of feeling lightheaded I went through a very difficult night of severe stomach discomfort, like my stomach was in knots.  My heart was pounding, I didn't sleep all night and I felt weak and shaky.  I went to the emergency room where they took x-rays and some blood tests.  They diagnosed me with constipation and told me to get some laxatives.  After four more days of these symptoms I went to a Doctor who prescribed Zantac.  I still have the lightheadedness/spacey feeling most of the time but not as severe.  My stomach still goes into knots at night when I'm trying to sleep.  I feel weird, like after a hangover.  The Zantac helps the burning but food still comes up into my esophogus.  I've lost seven pounds in the last few weeks.  
Several possibilities are suggested by your brief story.  The most likely explanations for your symptoms are esopahgeal reflux, peptic ulcers and gastroenteritis (? viral ? alcohol related).  The weight loss represents an alarm symptom that merits early investigation.  Ask your physician to refer you to a gastroenterologist for consultation and possibly endoscopy.
This information is presented for educational purposes only.  Always consult your personal physician for specific medical questions.
HFHSM.D.-rf
*keywords: esophageal reflux