Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
stomach pain, bloating, diarhea(diarrhea), constipation, white blood c...

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

stomach pain, bloating, diarhea(diarrhea), constipation, white blood cells in urine

I was battling irregular bowels movements for about a year and just cosidered it to be a result of poor diet.  I didn't think much of it until diarhea (diarrhea) started getting worse and then I began noticing urinary urgency and lower back pains.  Currently my symptoms are stomach pain, constipation, diarhea (diarrhea), bloating, lower back (kydney?) pain, urinary urgency and white blood cells in my urine.  The white blood cells were found after doing a urinalysis which showed no bacteria.  I've been to the gastroenterologist and he suspected IBS but that doesn't seem to explain the white blood cells. High fiber diet and lots of water seem to help the pain but I think there is still something wrong.  I also notice a strong odor from urine and bowel movements.  I tend to sweat alot in the groin region, this also with a strong odor.  At this point I'm not sure what's wrong nor the right doctor to see.
Please help if you can.
Irritable bowel syndrome was the first thing I thought of as well.  This is a disorder that is associated with alternating diarrhea and constipation as well as irregular bowel movements.  The initial treatment would be increasing the fiber in your diet, as you are doing.  Other treatment could include antispasmodics and Zelnorm (which is indicated for constipation-predominant IBS in women).  Before settling on the diagnosis of IBS, I would suggest an endoscopy to make sure there is nothing more serious going on.

Regarding the increased white cells in the urine, infection is the most likely cause - even with the negative culture.  If you are having odorous urine, I would probably suggest being treated for a UTI and seeing if the WBC's clear.  If there continues to be white cells despite antibiotics, I would consider a referral to a urologist or nephrologist (kidney doctor) for further evaluation.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
hi my name is jay im new to this site> but i have a ?? i was wondering if anyone could help in identifying a prob for me? about six months ago i started having pain in my right side i naturrally went to doc , they saud everything was fine ,, then i noticed i had redness in my left eye  and i was gettin dizzy quite a bit, since ive been back and they say there was white blood cells in urine,,so my question is ., does anyone know of any condition with these specific symptoms??
I been having the same problem with having white blood cells in my urine since 1999.  I went to a urologist, they did a retropyelogram on me and said I was okay, but I still have back pain and symptoms of a urinary tract infection.  I wish there was a doctor out there that could diagnose me other then telling me I have a UTI.  

Also the urine culture is always negative for any growth.  So my question is why do I have white blood cells in my urine?
I have about the same problem as some of you the lower back pain that goes into my right side alot of white blood cells and red cells in the unrine,constipation, blood in stool, belching. The doctor did blood test everything came out good and than he did an ultrasound that came back good he gave me cipro and pain meds did not work so he gave me different ones not working I'm always tired I sleep alot.  My next test is a cat scan if my pain does not go away but if it does than not to do the catscan can some gave me some kind of advice to ask my doctor?
A related discussion, Pain in lower rib was started.
A related discussion, diarrhea,white specs,pain in right side was started.
A related discussion, IBS (IT BE SOMETHIN...) was started.