Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
stomach problems/gallbladder

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

stomach problems/gallbladder

In May 2001, I had my gallbladder removed, after being sick for 2 years with stomachaches and nausea. My gallbladder only workd 13% of the time. I felt better right after I had it taken out but then in February of 2002 I began to get sick again. I would get sick with what seemed like a stomach virus every 3 weeks or so. Every time i got sick again it would be worse. I went to the Family doctor in June..and had an upper GI done which came back normal. He then sent me back to the doctor who I was seeing before with my gallbladder problems. Well I couldnt get in to see him until August and in July i got sick again and i thought I would be better in about a week like before but this time I never got better. I have been sick since the 2nd week of July 2002, with a constant stomachache, nausea, loss of appetite. I'm on Nexium for acid reflux disease which they found when i got an endoscopy ddone. I also had a colonoscopy, and gastric emptying scan done. they all came back negative. I'm so sick that I had to quit work, and have to be homeschooled. I dont have a life anymore, and there seems to be no end in sight for this. I really don't want to miss out on my senior year, and I want to go back to work...I dont know what I'm having done next. I'm going to see the doctor on Jan 24..I have no felt good one day since July. I dont even know what its like to feel normal anymore. if anyone has any idea what it could be please help me. I feel like I suffered my whole high school career. Oh yea I am a 18 year old female.
I like you have been through kind of the same thing. I say that because everyone can explain their symptoms differently. We can also react differently to stomach problems. I am assuming that because your gallbladder was functioning at 13%. You had it removed because of that and not stones. When your pain happens every few weeks - is it around when you have your period?
I'm asking because this happens to me like clock work. It took quite awhile for me to put the two together.
I was diagnosed with "Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction". It is very common with people who have nonfunctioning gallbladders. What happens is the shpincter to your bile duct doesn't open enough to let the bile out. Which causes pain either after you eat or during an empty stomach. The pain is usually directly below the sturnum and can either radiate to the back or bore straight into the back. My back pain can hurt just as bad as the stomach pain. If you feel this could be what is going on with you search sphincter of oddi dysfunction on the internet and read more about it. For me it interfered with my quality of life and had to get fixed.
Check the side effects of Nexium.  I too was diagnosed with Acid Reflux, but the Nexium made me feel horrible.  You might want to try a strict acid reflux diet for a month or so, including no food several hours before bed, and sleeping on your left side.  Worked wonders for me.  Good luck to you.
see i dont really get pain though....my stomach just sorta aches like i need to throw everything in it up...and its ALL the time so it doesnt come just once every few weeks anymore..it used to not be all the time but ever since July it has been.
I am so sorry that you are not feeling well. My daughter just had her GB removed Dec 27..she is 19 1/2, a college sophmore. she also did not have stones...GB functioning at 8 %...I don't know what to tell you except that you should check out info on Sphincter of oddi dysfunction...that seems to be what can be a problem if taking out the GB doesn't do the trick....it may have been the underlying problem that made the GB go bad in the first place. The test they do is an ERCP with man-something (they measure the pressure in the valve). some people have a problem with delayed stomach emptying after surgery.

After watching my daughter go thru all this..i know..it sucks to be so young and be sick....hang in there...good luck.
Make sure the gastric emptying test they gave you followed the proper protocol. Results can vary greatly, depending on how it is done. I agree that your symptoms sound very much like a stomach motiity disorder, and that is not uncommon following gallbladder surgery, though no one knows why.
I looked into the Sphincter oddi dysfuntion, and even though it doesnt really describe my symptoms I'm going to ask my doctor about it, since it seems quite of few people who had gallbladder problems had it.  I also looked into stomach mitility disorder and now that really sounds like that could be it, but the test came back normal. Maybe I'll get another one done somewhere else. Thanks for your opinions
I don't want to harp on this, but you're young and it's awful to hear how you've been feeling.  Before you spend the rest of your life on Nexium, which could be causing some/all of your problems (and has unknown long-term side effects), check out the link below and consider trying a non-drug approach to your GERD.

http://health.yahoo.com/health/drugs/nex1577/1.html