Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
stooling problem

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

stooling problem

Our 8 yr old son has been stooling/smearing alot.  I found out that he isn't taking the senakot tab becuase it doesn't taste good!  I thought he was swallowing it!  He recently had black spool in his underware.  Isn't this called tarring?  What is the reason for this and should I have him checked out?

Thanks you,

Beth V.
1 Comment
Hi Beth,
I'm under the impression from your posting that your son has some trouble with constipation. Often children are afraid to pass a stool when constipated because of the discomfort and will hold them in...creating the smearing that you are seeing in the underwear.  If he doesn't like the taste try getting him to eat a high fiber cereal with alittle sugar on it.  Also increase his raw fruits and vegtables--or try the fiber that you just sprinkle on food.  I'm thinking the stool that you are seeing is old and therefore looks darker than normal.  Next time he actually uses the toilet--make sure that you see some of his stool before flushing, just to put your mind at ease.  I'm sure he's fine.
I have been recently undergo hemmorroidectomy last month. I'm in the 4th week recovery & i'm very fine. Last week (3rd week), i have suffered some kind of constipation(but i'm not convince if it is) bec. my stool is like toothpaste(but not as rock literally toothpaste-like), so everytime i'm about to go to cr to stool (bec. my tummy hurts) usually the hurting urges the stool to come out, so i sit, then the stool only comes out half-way(one half-but its not hard i.e. toothpaste-like), I have to make a struggle on it to let it out (a lot of sweat), usually it takes me 30 mins & this day, I even go to cr 8x to finish my stooling session (installment basis) ..i'm suffering for one week now & my doc advises me to take laxatives & fresh fruit high in fiber, I even drink C-lium &
Fibrosine & also dulcolax(oral 2 pcs. each take) plus, suppository - but until now ..its almost the same.
Today, i took fecalysis. (my doc advises me) - the results was good (no ova, bacteria)

Today, I seat uncomfortable, knowing that my stool session in not finish yet & some stool is right inside ready to come out.

help me pls! it's too painful but thank god no blood indications when i wipe my ***.