Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
swollen anus

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

swollen anus

I recently had diarrhea. I took pepto bismo which solved the problem, but since then my anus has been highly swollen and enflamed. It's very uncomfortable. What can I do?
First I would start out by taking a very hot bath, as hot as you can stand.  Next I would get some Preparation H Cream or Ointment or if your really sore go to the pharmacy and ask the pharmacist about Nupercanal Ointment.  This is what surgeons prescribe after hemmrhoid surgery.  In my opinion it works much better than Preparation H.  It is an over the counter medicine but you have to ask the pharmacist for it cause it generally is not just out on the self.  Take care and hope this info helps.
You could try witch hazel compresses. I used to work in a nursing home and that's what we did for our residents who had irritated rectoms either from diahrea or hemoroids. You can get a bottle of witch hazel and pour a little bit on a piece of gauze and just lay it over the area for a while, it will cool and soothe.
I created suppositories with cocoa butter and witch hazel.  I then put them in the freezer.  That really did the trick.
A related discussion, extension on anus was started.