Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
thyroid and iron levels

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

thyroid and iron levels

Can a low thyroid level, 6 cause a high iron level 290? I am now on thyroid meds should I wait a month to repeat the iron levels.
By low thyroid level, I assume you are referring to the TSH.  A TSH of 6 is only borderline hypothyroid and is not likely to lead to changes in the iron level.  

To further evaluate the iron level, you may want to consider more comprehensive iron tests including a ferritin and total iron binding capacity.  If the ferritin is markedly elevated, diseases like hemochromatosis can be considered.  

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.straightfromthedoc.com
Iron disorders (both too little/anemia and too much/hemochromatosis) are more common in hypothyroid patients. To make things more difficult the symptoms of hypothyroidism and hemochromatosis overlap and can be confusing.  Have you had other iron tests?  Transferrin saturation?  Ferritin?  If the doc suspects hemochromatosis, they can order a liver biopsy or genetic testing to confirm.  You could ask the doc about donating blood -- that brings down the iron content.  
my mother has had a thyroid problem and my sister recently has had an over active thyroid problem and is on thyroxine from now on.  I have felt very very tired and stressed recently and went for a blood test, they tell me this has come back normal but my iron levels are very high.  My doctor tells me to get this tested again in a year or two.  

Should I be chasing this up further?  I had liver function etc... and all the normal things and they came back normal.

Could someone please offer some support here as I don't feel I have got a solution to my issues at all!
Sorry noone has posted to your question.  I have not been on for a while -- had pancreatitis again.  Whether or not you should wait depends on how extensive the testing was and how high the iron level was.  If you do have hemochromatosis, it should be investigated now -- it can lead to heart enlargment, diabetes, more severe liver disease, etc.  The main symptom of hemochromatosis is fatigue.  Patients may also notice a bronzing/tanning of the skin.  Here is an article to read:
http://www.emedicine.com/MED/topic975.htm