Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
tightness and burning in chest and throat

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I have been experiencing over the past four weeks a burning in my upper abdomen and chest. And I've noticed a flutter in my heart.  I have seen the doctor twice for the heartburn symptoms which include not only burning in my upper abdomen but a stinging sensation on occasion.  My throat burns also.  I have had alot of trouble with belching also after eating meals.  I was reading up on heart disease and noticed you can exhibit alot of the same symptoms like the burning in the upper abdomen and chest also.  This is stressing me because this is the second time I have been treated for this over the past four months.  I was on Protonix the first time around and now he has switched me to Prevacid.  Should I be concerned about this possibly being heart disease.  I eat healthier than most people and do not smoke and never have.  I have felt really stressed over the past several weeks, could this be adding to the tightness in my chest?  And I don't have any chest pain when exerting myself like with exercise, if anything, I feel fairly good.  I have noticed a slight ache in my arm but not in my shoulder, in the middle of my arm down to my elbow.  Another symptom I have noticed is a gurgling type sound in my chest.  Would appreciate any insite you might have on this and what it is!  Thank you!
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

Without examining you, it is impossible to say what you have - I would suggest being evaluated by a physician.

Although your description sounds like GI pain, cardiac pain can also masquerade as GI pain.  I would first obtain a stress test to ensure that coronary artery disease is not causing your discomfort.  

If negative, I would next switch to evaluate for causes of dyspepsia (upper GI discomfort).  Causes of dyspepsia include GERD, ulcers, or inflammation of the esophagus or stomach.  I would first start with an upper GI series, which can evaluate for GERD, hiatal hernias, or ulcers.  If negative, the next consideration would be an upper endoscopy, 24-hr pH study or abdominal ultrasound.  The choice of test should be made in conjuction with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
1 Comment
I had a abdominal Ultrasound back on February 7th, 2003.  I was having the same problem then.  I too then was having a burning, stinging sensation in my stomach and side into my chest along with alot of belching.  Those are the same symptoms I am having now.  My blood pressure is always very normal, usually staying around 103 over 66 and my heart rate is very good around 72.  The belching comes after eating.  And what is a Echogaphy, retroperitoneal, I had that on February 7th also along with blood work, which showed ok!  And I had a Helibacter Pylori blood test done on June 27th, when I went back the second time.  Is it likely for someone to having belching, especially after eating with heart disease?  I was having to sleep on a wedge pillow for a while because when I belched sometimes stuff would come back up in my throat and it was sour tasting.  I won't ask anymore.  Thanks.
A related discussion, Esophagitis was started.