Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
to much acid in my stomache

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

to much acid in my stomache

I'm a 48 year old female I'm 5'8 and 132 pounds.  I have for the past 10 years been on Aciphex 20mg for to much acid in my stomache, I was at 4 times the normal amount but now I have about 7 times to normal amount I have been taking 2 aciphex pills in the am and 1 in the evening.  When I had my last scope I also had alot of irritation and alot of stomache polyps.  I have latlely been having alot of diarreha about 2 hours after I eat and I'm generally not feeling well.  I would like your opinion on if you thing that the Aciphex is still the best choice and if there is anything else I should be doing.  I have gotten to the point that I'm very frustrated because it has been so long since I have felt really good.
Aciphex is a fine choice for a proton pump inhibitor to treat the GERD.  

If the symptoms continue, you may want to consider a 24-hr pH study to quantify the severity of the disease.  Sometimes adding an H2-blocker like Pepsid or Zantac can help.  

If GERD continues to be present, and the symptoms refractory, you can consider surgical treatments like a fundoplication.

Otherwise, other disease can be considered, including delayed gastric emptying, and evaluated by a gastric emptying scan.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician or gastroenterologist.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin Pho, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
www.twitter.com/kevinmd
Ask to get checked for Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome, you seem to fit the pattern.
I have acid reflux for over 8 years now and I have tried almost every medicine,OTC or prescription except yours and protonix.
Now I dont take anything,these medicatin just makes it worse,not better.
I was home visiting my folks in Asia and we ate every night at 7 pm,traditional Chinese meal starting with soup which is usually some neckbones,carrots and corn on the cob.then veggies with meat and fish etc/
since my parents are elderly,everything is cooked well.
afterwards we will have fruits.
surprise,surprise,no acid reflux all the days I was with them.
It could be I am not eating dairy product,hard to digest stuff and not overeating,soup and fruits could help digestion as well.
so review your own habits and try to weed out the culprits.