Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
tortuous colon
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

tortuous colon

I have been struggling with severe constipation for several years.  I had a colonoscopy which revealed an "extremely tortuous colon" and my transverse colon loops back down toward my pelvis.  I can't help but believe that this is the reason for all of my constipation and chronic pain in my left lower quadrant.  I have been told by my doctor that this is something that I have to live with.  I have made dietary changes which include increasing my fiber and water intake.  I excercise 3 times a week and I practice stress reduction techniques which is primarily walking.  I have researched tortuous colon and constipation but have not been able to find any help.  Is there anything that can be done for my constipation?  Could the tortuous colon be the cause of it?  And if so, what can be done to fix/ reduce the symptoms associated with it?  When the colonoscopy was performed, the doctor could only view 80 cm of the colon due to the tortuousity of the colon.