Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
tortuous colon

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

tortuous colon

I have been struggling with severe constipation for several years.  I had a colonoscopy which revealed an "extremely tortuous colon" and my transverse colon loops back down toward my pelvis.  I can't help but believe that this is the reason for all of my constipation and chronic pain in my left lower quadrant.  I have been told by my doctor that this is something that I have to live with.  I have made dietary changes which include increasing my fiber and water intake.  I excercise 3 times a week and I practice stress reduction techniques which is primarily walking.  I have researched tortuous colon and constipation but have not been able to find any help.  Is there anything that can be done for my constipation?  Could the tortuous colon be the cause of it?  And if so, what can be done to fix/ reduce the symptoms associated with it?  When the colonoscopy was performed, the doctor could only view 80 cm of the colon due to the tortuousity of the colon.
This might sound stupid, but have you tried prune juice?  That seems to work quite well with constipation relief.  Anyway, that's my 2 cents.
After a colonoscopy I was told I had a tortuous colon. My doctor said he sees that frequently with women who have had children.
I treat my constipation with bran, Metamucil or Citrucel. I never attributed my constipation to a tortuous colon. Good Luck.
I was stool softener/laxative dependant for years with constant problems.  After a colonoscopy revealed a black and tarry colon from this overuse, my dr. prescribed Miralax for me!  it is a totally safer fiber bulk laxative.  It is truly a miracle!
See if your Dr. will prescibe it for you!  It works!!!
A related discussion, Colon problem was started.
A related discussion, Tortuous sigmoid colon was started.
A related discussion, Tortuous Colon was started.