Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
two colored bowel movements

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

two colored bowel movements

For the past 3 months, my bowel movements have ocassionally been two colors, one very dark and one quite a bit lighter.  The colors don't "run" into each other, they are very distinct.  What might be the cause of this?
What you eat often determines the color of the stool.  Stools that are excessively light (i.e. pale or clay colored) are associated with bile duct obstruction and gall bladder disease.

Stools that are excessively dark (i.e. black), can be the cause of certain foods or medications (i.e. iron).  Black stools are also associated with upper GI bleeding (i.e. ulcers, gastritis, esophagitis).  If this is the case, it is a good idea to see your physician to ensure a bleed is not the case.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
I am not sure but I think most people have bowel movement that vary in color, sometimes being darker, sometimes being lighter and even mixed together in one bowel movement.  I always look at my stools to check for blood, mucus or whatever and notice different consistancies, colors etc.  I think it is normal, but if you are unsure talk to your doctor.
it may be old stock,new stock.
that is such a great question, I'm glad someone finally asked.  I'd like to know the answer to that one as well.  I tend to agree with stacilynn, I like it is normal, providing there is no obvious signs of blood.  I'm like her, I check my stool for mucus or blood as well.  I also have different shades of stool as well, its never black, thank God, but it does vary from what seems to always be normal brown to a darker shade of brown.  I do think its normal.
Hello All:
I just had laparoscopic GB surgery on 1/30 and I am having greenish-yellow diarrhea.  I wonder if it is bile.  I still can not tolerate solid food and I am drinking pure pear juice, water, and jello.

After my GB was taken out, I was unable to handle solid food for several years, I'm ok now though.  The best thing for me was to avoid fatty, spicy foods, I ate pretty plain stuff, i also used immodium for awhile as well.  What you are experiencing I think is normal for some people, at least that's what I was told from my doctor.  everyone is different, but drinking water is the best thing you could do.
A related discussion, 2 colors? was started.