Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
ulcers in colon

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

ulcers in colon

I am a 23 year old female.  At the age of 18 i went for a colonoscpy and was told I had ulcers in my colon.  My symptoms stopped and I assumed they were gone.  Well I was wrong because when I was around 21 I had another colonoscpy and was told I have mild ulcers.  Again my symptoms went away but are back now.  I pass alot of blood when going to the restroom.  It is mainly bright red but sometimes it is darker. There is also mucous.  What worries me is that I don't even have to have a bowel movement for the blood to appear.  The mucuos and blood just come out sometimes. My movements also vary sometimes its hard to go to the bathroom, and others it's loose.  I get to feeling sick at my stomach like I'm gonna throw up.  Is all this just from those "mild" ulcers.  The blood fills the toilet.  Please give any advice you can.
Well, if you haven't seen a GI doctor in a while it is probablly time for a visit.

Question have you ever been diagnosed with any GI disorder such as Ulcerative Colitis?  With this disorder there can be remissions and flareups or escerbations of s/s.

Common symptoms of mild to moderate ulcerative colitis may include:

Rectal bleeding
Abdominal pain/cramping
Urgent need to go to the bathroom
Bloody diarrhea

Symptoms of more severe ulcerative colitis may include*:

Fever
Weight loss
Nausea
Vomiting

Contact your doctor if you are experiencing these types of symptoms. Most symptoms can be managed with medications when taken as prescribed by your doctor.

*Not all medications are approved for the treatment of severe cases of ulcerative colitis. Contact your doctor for more information.

Did you know that out of all the people who live with ulcerative colitis at any one time, about 67% suffer from mild forms of the condition, about 25% experience moderate forms, and the remainder experience severe forms of the condition?3

In terms of gastrointestinal symptoms, people with mild forms of the condition experience fewer bouts of diarrhea with no blood or only traces of blood in the stool. Those with moderate forms may experience increased stool frequency, more abdominal discomfort, and blood in the stool. And people with severe forms of the condition may experience numerous stools with blood, abdominal tenderness, intestinal pain, and fever.3

Ulcerative colitis involves inflammation of the lining of the colon and rectum.

Ulcerative colitis is characterized by flare-ups followed by periods of remission throughout a lifetime.

A flare-up is when the rectum and/or colon become inflamed. During a flare-up, people experience periods of increased symptoms of ulcerative colitis, such as bloody diarrhea, rectal bleeding, abdominal pain or cramping, and an urgent need to go to the bathroom. Flare-ups can vary in duration and intensity.

Remission is the time between flare-ups of ulcerative colitis when people experience few, mild, or no symptoms of ulcerative colitis. Periods of remission vary in duration, anywhere from a matter of days to a number of years.

While ulcerative colitis is a lifelong condition, flare-ups can be controlled and periods of remission extended with medication when taken as prescribed by your doctor.

This condition affects people of all ages, but often is diagnosed during early adulthood. The causes of this condition are unknown, but may involve heredity, infection, or the immune system. There is no known cure for ulcerative colitis except for removal of the colon. However, research organizations, such as the Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of America (CCFA), continue to research the cause of and seek a cure for Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis.

Your doctor will determine the appropriate means of diagnosing ulcerative colitis. These steps may include the following:

Your doctor will want to rule out other disorders that may mimic the symptoms of ulcerative colitis during an initial diagnosis. For example, your doctor may ask if you have traveled outside the United States to rule out infectious colitis or if you have recently taken antibiotics to rule out antibiotic-associated diarrhea.
Your doctor may complete a thorough medical history and physical exam to detect signs and symptoms of ulcerative colitis (e.g., abdominal tenderness, weight loss).
Your doctor may order tests used to help diagnose ulcerative colitis, such as stool tests or blood tests.
Your doctor may order an X ray or another medical procedure called an endoscopy if ulcerative colitis is suspected.
An X ray provides your doctor with a picture of your intestines.
An endoscopy, such as a lower endoscopy, sigmoidoscopy, or colonoscopy, is a procedure where a rectally-inserted instrument is used to view the interior of the colon.

Your doctor will evaluate the results of these tests. If you are diagnosed with ulcerative colitis, your doctor will design a treatment plan for you.

Though ulcerative colitis can be unpredictable, medications usually can provide people with a measure of control over this tough, persistent condition. Taking medication as directed by your doctor can play an important role in managing your symptoms and in extending your remission.

Dee RN,C CLTC

A related discussion, colon ulcer was started.