Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
uncomfortable pressure at throat down thru esophagus

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

please anyone - i have had an uncomfortable, intermittent - getting more and more often.  it is a pressure in my thoat and lower into the esophagus.  it feels like something is there almost...  if i burp- it kinda relieves it for a second or 2.  what the heck is this?  anyone at all experience this kind of pressure???
any comments welcomed
thanks lynne
I do experience the pressure in esophagus. I'm diagnosed as GERD
I think it is the pain there caused it like a pressure. I can feel it at night but not in the daytime.

Weiwei
I experienced pressure in my throat a few years back and it would seem to get worse when I was stressed. I think when you are stressed your throat muscles constrict. But anyways I went to the doctor who said it was an infection and gave me some anti biotics. After two batches of the antibiotics I still had the pressure. So I was sent for an ultra sound on my throat and they discovered an enlarged thyroid gland. My thyroid is still functioning normally but I will have to keep an eye on it and go for blood tests.
Talk to your doctor about this pressure ..I hope you find out what it is to give you some peace of mind.
Good Luck, virgo
I too have the tightening in the throat.  My doctor prescribed Nexium for me yesterday.  How long does it take before I will notice a substantial difference?
I know the feeling - and major stress at new auditing job doesn't help -and seems really aggravated when I declined but push about doing freebie books for a non-profit org. again  (no one wants to do the work) I have found I don't dare bend over after I take my vitamins, or eat quaker oats in the morning  etc.,I know I have a hiatus hernia - take prevacid - I can be out at a nice restaraunt with friends and stomach doesn't bother me - I don't think it is as much as I put in my mouth as what is going on at the moment is - this episode started when I was swallowing too fast at dinner - -
I had that about 10 years ago.  It actually kind of felt like I had to burp, like a burp was coming up but couldn't.  It got worse, and soon I had burning pain in there, thought it was a heart attack at one time because it hurt so bad.  I had an endoscope put down my throat to see and they found a stricture and a sore spot.  They put a hose down my throat to open up the stricture and I took some medicine for awhile for reflux (can't remember now).  I felt much better afterwards.  I don't get that problem anymore, but I agree that bad stress is a factor (and alcohol/caffeine use).
I have this problem and was recently diagnosed with Achalasia after motility testing. I also had a gastroscopie but this failed to find any problem except some minor inflammation that was put down to class "B" reflux. I do not suffer from heartburn or any other symptoms but do have a bowel problem.
I also have vocal spasm which was one of the reasons I had the tests done.
To pain person.  I experience the same type of sensation in my throat and esophagus.  kIND OF feels like there is a burp stuck in my throat.  Sometimes I burp and it is releived for a few seconds.  The "burp" moves up and down my esophagus.  The Dr thinks it is related to a motility disorder.  I get food stuck in my throat a lot and it makes eating difficult - espicially solids.  `
I also notice that when I am tired or stressed the pressure is much worse.  On Mondays in particular I am bad, on the weekends sometimes I notice no pressure at all.  When I am really bad, i come home from work and lay down, sometimes all it takes is a 20 min nap and the feeling is gone.
stt
Hi, I'm new here. Hope everyone is fine. Well, it seems to me that I am having the gas problem that some of you guys had mentioned here. I get the 'pressure' feelings at my throat area too and I can hardly breathe. Sometimes, I've to take lots of water (bit by bit) to 'swallow' the pressure and burped loudly. It feels comfortable afterwards but the problem comes back right at me minutes later. I usually have these problem at night before sleep. So, you can understand how difficult it is for me to get to sleep! Sometimes, it does hit me that I would die during my sleep!! Do you guys have any problem with your sleep?

Sometimes, when the problem gets worse, there's a sore feeling at my jaw area and I can feel some muscle strain at the back of my neck. I will feel dizzy after a while. I'm not too sure if these two problems are related to each other or not, but I'm very worried about myself.

I went to the hospital and the doctor had done the tube thing (from mouth to stomach) and only found some minor erosions at the inner wall of my stomach and nothing else. He gave me some Nexium pills and it kinda soothe the gas problem a bit but it doesn't do anything about my neck and dizziness problem.

Any idea what the heck is wrong with me? I need help!!

Thank you and warmest regards,
stt

I am 31, and for the past 5 months I have been have the same type of problems. I went to my primary doctor and I was told that "it's all in my head". He put me on valium, nothing happened. I finally went to a ENT due to Glopus syndromes (feeling of tightness in the throat). She looked in my throat and advised me that there is evidence of acid reflux. I had a Barium swallow test done and it showed that my condition was pretty severe. Recently I have been having spasms in the esophagus and rapid heart beat, it only appears to occurs at night. I am also experiencing chest pain for the last week or so. I have been on Protonix for the last two weeks, but I am still not feeling well. I do feeling dizzy sometimes which comes and goes.

I really hope, we all feel better soon.

P.S. stop taking Ibupprofen, it makes it worse.  Also, you guys should get tested for a bacteria called H.Pylori, mostly found in the stomach.

Thanks and regards
Gerd man.
Hi my name is frances,i been dignost with gerd and I was feeling the same way as you are right now,but I am verry lucky in finding digestacure ,since I been on it I been feeling much much better,you should try it,all you got to do is order it and have alot of faith and follow all the instruccions,hope I help you in some way,,,,