Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
undigested food

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

undigested food

Hi This Is foundry, I have had Undigested Food Stuff In my stool lately I have also had acute pancreatitis in 2003 I Was Cleared of this Though. I recently was diagnosed with Having Gerd. I was put on nexium 40mg,1 time a day. I also have had upper and lower CT Scan Neg. colonoscopy mild diverticulosis,EGD PROCEDURE, Abdominal ultrasound, Pancreas has all been normal with these test. Lipase, Amylase, Normal. I do not have any pain anywhere. Nerves has been shot due to worrying about all of this. The undigested food in stool didnt seem to start till after I started taking the nexium.As far as i know. GI Doctor give me creon5 he said that that would help with undigested food. But it didnt seem to help a whole lot. My concern is could low stomach acid be causing this to happen.Or Could my nerves be causing this are could low stomach acid and my nerves from worrying be causing this problem Together. Ihave researched some on the internet about this and have found that low stomach acid could also cause acid reflux like symptoms when really it is low stomach acid production causing this. Based on your experience could this be the possibility.  :FOUNDRY:
You have had a pretty comprehensive evaluation for your symptoms.  Many of the major disorders would have been ruled out already.

You can consider more specialized testing including stool tests looking for malabsorption.  Blood tests for celiac disease can also be considered.

If negative, sometimes irritable bowel syndrome can atypically present this way.  

If there is a concern about stomach acid, a 24-hr pH study can be considered.  

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
Have you tried taking apple cider vinegar or digestive enzymes?  That would be a good "home remedy" to try to see if lacking acidity is indeed the problem.
Yes,it is your 40mg Nexium which is causing low acid production,hence undigested food in your stool.
Drink some cranberry juice,it would raise the acid level.
The nexium could be causing it, but it can also be celiac disease, as most of our food is broken down in the small intestine. Our stomach only does the first part. If your tesst for celiac come back negative, I would ask the doc for the 20 mg nexium and see if that is better. You might not need the 40 mg.

Hope you feel better soon.

I highly doubt it has anything to do with nexium . Contrary to beliefs, very little acid is needed for digestion -- and PPIS do not eliminate all acid . Much better chance it's IBS.
IMHO, IBS is nothing but a cop-out when docs are stumped for a diagnosis.  Hey, they have to put some kind of a code down for all those insurance carriers, so why not IBS?  Supposedly, the IBS diagnosis is only used when a patient has had every test known to man to rule out anything else.  I've been burned far too many times with, "It's IBS, take fiber and you'll be cured."  Each time, it was something completely different, and required surgery not only to diagnose, but to cure.  Just my experience, and just my opinion.  You know your body, so if what one doc says just doesn't "feel right", move on to another who is willing to work with you.
i have a similar problem have lots of undigested food in stools this problem started after taking razo 20 mg its similar to nexium i have been taking creon 10000 but it doesnt help i also  have hiatus hernia and i have been taking lime juice before meals u might try it its increases the acid production