Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
upper pain under left rib with indigestion

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I am 37 years old in fairly good shape, not overweight, etc.  Ten years ago I had my gallbladder removed laproscopically after years of chronic gallbladder problems, ie attacks, ER visits, etc.  It was the best thing I ever did for my health. Dr. said it was unusual to have the problems due to me not being overweight, etc must be heriditary

However, recently I have had horrible indigestion, ie excessive burping, excessive!!  with this I have pain under my left rib very much like the pain that was under my right rib with the gallbladder, however, not nearly as intense but over a larger area

The pain is sore to the touch, piercing when I move especially or take a deep breath, it radiates to my back in the same area.  The first time I had it I assumed I had pulled a muscle and did not really relate it to the indigestion.  I might add that the indigestion seems to run its course and not be food related, when I have it, I have it if I drink water, when I don't I can eat cheese enchilladas and be fine.

I noticed this first July 4th.  I went to my regular dr and he prescribed prevacid which I cannot tell helps

My gallbladder was enlarged?  thickened?  but not with stones, fyi

I have an appt with a specialist next week but wish I knew what this is now!
Pain that is sore to the touch, and worsens after taking a deep breath may be suggestive of causes other than a GI cause.   This can include nerve disorders, muscle strain, or lung problems.  To work this up, I would consider a CT scan - which can evaluate the lungs as well as the organs in the area (i.e. spleen and pancreas).

Of course, GI causes should also be considered given the fact that you have indigestion as well.  To further work this up, an upper GI series and/or upper endoscopy can be considered.  Causes of dyspepsia, including ulcers, GERD, or inflammation of the esophagus or stomach can be better evaluated this way.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
I have been getting pain in my upper left quadrant that seems to come in bouts. I can also feel pain in my shoulder and chest on the left side and I find that the pain is not there when I first wake in the morning..

This first started when I was under a lot of stress. It actually started in the lower left quadrant and is now in the upper. Sometimes the pain feels as though it is moving around. When the pain subsides the area becomes itchy and I sometimes get a strange tickling sensation in the left groin area as well.

Relaxing seems to help but it doesn't go away entirely. I am terrified of having tests so I would feel better going if I had at least some idea what it could be. It's been going on for about 4 months.

Has anyone had this? I do suffer from IBS and this pain seems to get worse when I am stressed..Please help..

Sue
I'm an 18-year-old w/ pain:( I've been having pain in my upper right area below my chest. I'm not sure if it's my liver.
My Doctor had me do some blood test and there was nothing(in June/03)The pain is still there. It comes and goes. It's more painful when I move a lot, such as sit-ups or bending over.
I have been having heartburn a lot. My Doctor gave me prevacid.
My mom told me I was born pre-mature and had Billirubin(high) something to do with my blood count.
Does anyone out there have the same problem?
What causes this/ what can it be??
I'm 38 year old, male, had gallbladder removed may 2002, hida scan showed 0% rejection, pain on right side under ribcage has gone away but now I have the following:
burping everytime I drink liquids or eat, lasts for about an hour then followed by intense heartburn, dull pain on right side of stomach.  The burping is terrible!!! Kinda of "liquidy" type burp that I have to force to get temporary relief, sometimes liquid will enter my mouth and tastes like vomit.  Also burning pain in right side of chest area.  I had been seeing my GP about this, after telling him about high stress at my job, he prescribed effexor.  What a terrible medicine! It really made me feel weird and did not help my symtoms (symptoms).  Finally went to the gastro doctor who had scoped me previous to gallbladder surgery, gave me samples of aciphex for a week, (did not help) said I need another endoscopy.  He did not find anything abnormal on first endoscopy, so I feel before we do this expensive procedure again, I would like to try other medicine.  Anybody have suggestions on what to ask for?  Specific drug? Combinations? Please e-mail any suggestions. They would be much appreciated. Thanks. ***@****