Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
upper right quadrant pain after gallbladder removal

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

heres my question.  im 41 years old and last december i had my gallbladder removed because of horrible upper right quadrant pain and severe neausea.  After the surgery i started getting severe pain in my stomach and upper right quadrant which would double me over atleast three times a week.  since the surgery it was lessened but its just like the pain from the gallbladder.  They said I had sludge.  Is it possible that i could have sludge still in the bile ducts?  i even get the pains in my right shoulder.  there doesnt seem to be anything i eat or drink or stress that brings it on but i do get warning.  i feel like im very hungry but if i do eat something it usually gets worse. they have done test for lipase and that is always negative.  They have done xrays and cat scans and have seen nothing.
Yes, it is possible to continue to have sludge in the bile ducts.  Another consideration would be Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction - which can replicate gallbladder pain in those who have had the surgery.  

Tests to consider would be an MRCP, to evaluate the bile ducts, or an ERCP with Sphincter of Oddi manometry to evaluate for sphincter dysfunction.

These tests can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
Hi ,I have sphincter of oddi dysfunction and I had a normal lipase at the time that they found out .Prior to that I did have pancreatitis with a lipase of 10,000. And still in pain all the time. The dr. tells me there is no easy answer to help me. I'm on tons of meds. mostly pancreatic enzymes. About 25 pills a day on just enzymes. and prevacid, beta blockers and elavil and lortabs on top of all that. I'm miserable most of the time.And in and out of the ER all the time. Anyone with advice???
A related discussion, sphincter of oddi was started.