Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
upper stomach feels so tight most of the time

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I have had so many tests, cat scan, lower bowel,endoscopy,colonoscopy. I have not found anyone else with my symptoms. I feel like there is a rubber band around me just under the sternum. If I wear a shirt that fits(not skin tight but just touches my skin)it makes it even more ponouced.It feels like your skin is stretched & you can't take a good breath.It is not actually painful, but it is very aggrevating,& tiring on your body.I have been trying for a yr. now to figure this out, they did take my gallbladder out last August but that didn't helpeither. I do have irriable bowel ,but this is not the same.Someone please help!
Rubber band?

You said that your skin felt streatched
Is your abdomen swollen -or your lower chest area.

My liver is swollen along with the right side of my heart.  My clothes do not fit either since my abdomen is swelled and the swelled travels up through my ribs to my heart.

What area was the catscan focused one. The lower abdomen where the intestines or the upper abdomen with the liver.  

Was your catscan with contrast.

I can not breathe good either because of chest area.

You might want to ask for a chest X-ray - it helps doctors see if lining of heart is inflamed - (also lymph nodes near heart- I think) and if fluid is in lungs.

Sorry for your pain--and for your stuggle for diagnosis.  I am at near my 125 day search for a diagnosis.

My upper abodomn is where the tighness is, it is not swollen  at all though. The catscan was a contrast cat scan,& was focused on the upper stomach I belive. I sometimes get pain under my left rib & occasionaly it moves to the middle under the sternum.I have been on a couple odf gerd meds with no help& one for digestion, that didn't help.
Have you had a breathing test? Asthma or COPD can make you feel this way as well as some inflammatory conditions of the rib cage.
Try a couple of advils and see if that helps.A lot of organs are in that vacinity.
A related discussion, band around upper abdomen that takes your breath away was started.
A related discussion, Band around my upper stomach was started.
A related discussion, Tightness around mid section was started.
A related discussion, FEELING FULL AND BLOATED was started.
A related discussion, help was started.
A related discussion, to dabadew was started.