Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
what to do when can't swallow...and food/liquids block breathing t...

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

what to do when can't swallow...and food/liquids block breathing tube?

I don't know what to do.  I have reflux, but the past week, it the acid has prevented me from swallowing...and when I force anything down, ie: pills, water, oatmeal, etc.  it comes back up and I start to choke.  What do I do???
I then panic and can't take a breath...by throat closes up and I think I will die.  My throat and largynx(sp?) is so raw and is burnig...
Please help!

ask your or a gastro/digestive specialest for a emergency visit explain what is going on because if it blocking your breathing then you don't want to take a chance of it chocking you to death.this sounds serious if they do not want to get you in at your doctors office then go to the emergency room at the hospital .god bless
Maryanne I went to the Doc yesterday..he put me on Nexium...a newer drug that stops the acid (a protien pump?)
It has helped to to a degree...but the food still is coming up a little....does it take a while for the treatment to work?
I am eating Jello and toast.  Any other suggestions as far as food goes?
Has anyone had this happen to them? I just feel so alone.
nexium is a good drug for acid reflux if they only have you taking one ask them to move you up to two until you can get it under control then move back down to one . and yes it normaly takes a couple of days or so to get the acid under control.keep a eye on things because if the symptoms return after awhile of being on nexium and sticking to it ,then the chances are it is something other than the reflux.don't get me wrong you can have acid reflux and still have another digestive problem that henders the medication from working, or not have reflux and it be a totaly seperate digestive problem they missed.god bless
If you are having trouble swallowing it could be a result of a build-up on your esoph.  This can be due to acid reflux over time.  The acid leaks upward and causes scar tissue to narrow the esoph.  Over a period of time this stricture will narrow enough that food or drink can not go down. I have had this happen, and it is very scary.  When it first started happening about 4 years ago, i had no clue i even had any acid reflux problem, i just started having trouble eating.  I would have to throw up whatever became lodged.  This became painful, and disusting, my kids would look at me at dinner and ask, mom, are you gonna throw up again.  About three or four times a week, food would just lodge somewhere between my throat and chest area.  I found a great Gastro, he referred me for Upper GI(yuck) and they were able to find the stricture. There is a simple procedure that is done with an EGD, called dialation.  It is where the physician inserts the tube and dialates the area that is compressed.  It is done in the hopital, lasts about an hour, and recovery takes about 2 hours depending upon the anesthetic used.  The relief is immediate.  I return to work the next day.  It is amazing the difference is so fast.  I do need to have this repeated about every 14-15 months.  Also, ask about protonix 2 times a day.  This medication seems to give the best relief for me, i've tried many
Good Luck
Does anyone have the problem of waking up in the middle of the night gasping for air??  I feel like I'm choking to death and even my hands go numb......no its not my heart, check that out, yes, I have hietal hernia......I'm so tired and I'm so scared....

I have had the same problem because of severe reflux.  Acid comes up and interfers with your breathing.  It took me a long time to figure it out.   I even developed aspiration pneomonia from the contents of my stomach getting into my lungs.  You must elevate the head of your bed, and also make sure that you are never in a flat position when you lie down.  Not eating for several hours before bed is also helpful, as are the medications that other people have mentioned.  My doctor also gave me a puffer (used for asthma) which I found helpful to get my breathing under control.  Because this always happens at night, the way you sleep can have the most influence on what is happening.  Good Luck!

I too am on nexium. Before nexium, I was on protonix. I been with this condition for 2 years. I quit smoking and drinking for 3 months already and iam still having trouble swallowing. Then again I just got my insurance this years. I am working with a GI speaclist now....Basically iam asking will I ever be able to to eat a cheeseburger or T-Bone steak? This is a messed up condition....i cant eat in resturants because I have trouble swallowing....nexium helps but still having trouble swallowing which follows with trouble concentrating.  Someone help me